• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

Chocomel

Thanks to Armir for the review and also to the member who dropshipped it!

Looking at the specs and the raving reviews all over the internet you got to think this is an amazing streamer/DAC solution. But as already discussed in other threads and now also proven by the measurements from Armir this is a flawed (or even broken) product.

I don't see any audible "flaws" in these measurements let alone, a broken product. Which measurement(s) specifically do you think makes it a flawed/broken product?

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't got any suggestions. I do have a question about the BluOs app and Idagio subscription. I've never gone that route (I use Airplay), because BluOs requires you to use their app for access to the Idagio subscription. You therefore lose the functionality of the excellent Idagio app, especially it's search and curator features. Sonus is the same - they require you to use their app for Idagio.

As I said, I've used Airplay, which has its problems and am always looking for alternatives - the best example of what I am looking for is Spotify Connect.

(Apologies for the hijack, but it is seldom that services like Idagio are mentioned.)
Actually, one needs to use the Idagio app to create playlists that can then be accessed using the BluOS app. It's a two-step process that is a little kludgy but works OK.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I don't see any audible "flaws" in these measurements let alone, a broken product. Which measurement(s) specifically do you think makes it a flawed/broken product?
$550 and they can't spend another $3 on the DAC implementation to match the performance of a $15 retail generic external DAC or make software that matches Amazon or Apple stuff that goes with cheaper hardware. Pathetic.

I see no point to this unless you are already committed to the system with something like a NAD M33, i.e., if I had good Bluesound gear, I might consider this crummy Node, but for anyone else, it is a hard pass for cheaper better stuff.

Zensō

Major Contributor
No, but I don't like it. If full HD is available at my digital source, I don't want downsampling before the ADC.
I can relate, I used to feel exactly the same way.

In some sense I’ve simultaneously moved toward being both more objective and more subjective. More objective in that if the measurements show a “flaw” that is undoubtedly inaudible, I choose to ignore it. More subjective in that if a flaw should be audible but I can’t hear it in normal listening, I also choose to ignore it. This shift has significantly increased my music listening enjoyment.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I don't care if the downsampling and crummy DAC are inaudibly different from something that justifies a $500 price tag.

What do I get here for the extra $500 over an Echo Dot with an analog output cable? You can easily control the Dot with your phone or your voice and I am sure it sounds the same as this thing or a good DAC.

Chocomel

$550 and they can't spend another $3 on the DAC implementation to match the performance of a $15 retail generic external DAC or make software that matches Amazon or Apple stuff that goes with cheaper hardware. Pathetic.

I see no point to this unless you are already committed to the system with something like a NAD M33, i.e., if I had good Bluesound gear, I might consider this crummy Node, but for anyone else, it is a hard pass for cheaper better stuff.

I can understand people not thinking it's a good value. I haven't checked out all the features, but i doubt i would find it a good value myself. My question was about the measured performance though.

D

Deleted member 28042

This is one of the only reviews I've seen where the reviewer frankly admits they were unable to get the product up and running. Considering Amir's excellent technical skills, that's just baffling. What is the Lenbrook Group, which also owns NAD and PSB I think, doing here? When I read user experiences with this and other Bluesound products, they are a curious mixture of 'its great' and 'it is a nightmare to setup and I got no help from Bluesound when I called' responses. I wouldn't go near something like this,

Last edited by a moderator:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
If we cut them some slack since they're not Amazon, I can see $299 MSRP for this, maybe $200-250 sale/street price. It would need to be $200 or less really to compete with the firms that profit from your information with smart devices. Even if I had an awesome M33, I don't know that I would be willing to swallow $550 for a Node to go in a secondary system.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
This is one of the only reviews I've seen where the reviewer frankly admits they were unable to get the product up and running. Considering Amir's excellent technical skills, that's just baffling. What is the Lenbrook Group, which also owns NAD and PSB I think, dong here? When I read user experiences with this and other Bluesound products, they are a curious mixture of 'its great' and 'it is a nightmare to setup and I got no help from Bluesound when I called' responses. I wouldn't go near something like this,
I have like 5-10 minutes patience for something like a streaming app before I pack the device up and ship it back as broken. I've got better stuff to do than work out bugs in a crummy system. I have avoided Heos for the same reason. I don't think I would seriously consider another platform than Amazon, Apple, Sonos, or Google at this time because I have serious doubts about other software.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I don't care if the downsampling and crummy DAC are inaudibly different from something that justifies a $500 price tag.

What do I get here for the extra $500 over an Echo Dot with an analog output cable? You can easily control the Dot with your phone or your voice and I am sure it sounds the same as this thing or a good DAC.
I agree. I don’t see the value proposition here. Perhaps entry into the Bluesound ecosystem for multi-room streaming, or the promise of a plug-and-play, all-in-one device for those who don’t want to fuss with an RPi?

Zensō

Major Contributor
I have like 5-10 minutes patience for something like a streaming app before I pack the device up and ship it back as broken. I've got better stuff to do than work out bugs in a crummy system. I have avoided Heos for the same reason. I don't think I would seriously consider another platform than Amazon, Apple, Sonos, or Google at this time because I have serious doubts about other software.
High quality app development is very expensive. I suspect these smaller companies don’t have the resources and the best app developers go where the money is.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I agree. I don’t see the value proposition here. Perhaps entry into the Bluesound ecosystem for multi-room streaming, or the promise of a plug-and-play, all-in-one device for those who don’t want to fuss with an RPi?
Yes, but there are better options, IMO. The Polyvection products, for example, which run Squeezelite and LMS without the fuss of setting up a RPi. Relatively low cost.

https://polyvection.com/en/product/dac32/

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What a killer feature set!
I know. And the stream services it integrates with!

On those merits we bought one. But we returned it because the app was so unpleasant. It did work but switching inputs or services involved so much back and forth in the navigation that we gave up and returned it in frustration.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to @amirm for testing this fun device!

First, regarding the app. I suspect amirm has a wifi system with similarities to mine, which employs three separate bands (2.4 plus 2X5 MHz). I had no problems with my Android devices but couldn't get my Surface tablet to connect with the Node. Turns out my Ethernet connection in my office connected to the wrong "band" (the wired connection was network band MaxBuckOffice, while the wifi that the Node connects to is MaxBuckHome). So everyone who has multiband wifi systems (or who is connecting using Ethernet hard wire) needs to make sure they're on the same network band for both the Node and whatever control device they use to run the app.

Second, I regard this device as presenting massive value. I am not a hobbyist, and have no interest in assembling Pi devices of any flavor. I'm interested in plugging and playing, which this thing has done flawlessly without requiring me to add a monthly Roon subscription to access streaming music.

Third, I'm still on the fence on the DAC. It's good to know that its performance is at best marginal, but that's easily remedied by employing an external DAC. And I have to say that in my (non-ABX) comparisons playing direct and through a Modi 3+ DAC, I don't hear improvement bypassing the internal DAC. But I don't pretend that my hearing or listening skills are very good, and my house is quite noisy.* So bottom line is that it serves my listening needs exceptionally well.

As for whether the app is useful or frustrating, like most UI issues that's a matter of personal preference. Personally I find it to be excellent, but others obviously think different.

*We have an interior water feature that flows pretty much all the time. And our A/C here in SoCal has also been running pretty much full-time, and the equipment is roof mounted near our listening room. So until the winter when it won't run much, things won't improve. Our noise floor in our home is about 72 dBA right now, according to the SPL app on my phone.

Zensō

Major Contributor
At least if you but an RPi you know it is going to be a science project.
And a fun little science project at that! :)

Buggy apps and lackluster performance from devices that should be plug-and-play is a different (more frustrating) thing altogether.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Thanks to @amirm for testing this fun device!

First, regarding the app. I suspect amirm has a wifi system with similarities to mine, which employs three separate bands (2.4 plus 2X5 MHz). I had no problems with my Android devices but couldn't get my Surface tablet to connect with the Node. Turns out my Ethernet connection in my office connected to the wrong "band" (the wired connection was network band MaxBuckOffice, while the wifi that the Node connects to is MaxBuckHome). So everyone who has multiband wifi systems (or who is connecting using Ethernet hard wire) needs to make sure they're on the same network band for both the Node and whatever control device they use to run the app.

Second, I regard this device as presenting massive value. I am not a hobbyist, and have no interest in assembling Pi devices of any flavor. I'm interested in plugging and playing, which this thing has done flawlessly without requiring me to add a monthly Roon subscription to access streaming music.

Third, I'm still on the fence on the DAC. It's good to know that its performance is at best marginal, but that's easily remedied by employing an external DAC. And I have to say that in my (non-ABX) comparisons playing direct and through a Modi 3+ DAC, I don't hear improvement bypassing the internal DAC. But I don't pretend that my hearing or listening skills are very good, and my house is quite noisy.* So bottom line is that it serves my listening needs exceptionally well.

As for whether the app is useful or frustrating, like most UI issues that's a matter of personal preference. Personally I find it to be excellent, but others obviously think different.

*We have an interior water feature that flows pretty much all the time. And our A/C here in SoCal has also been running pretty much full-time, and the equipment is roof mounted near our listening room. So until the winter when it won't run much, things won't improve. Our noise floor in our home is about 72 dBA right now, according to the SPL app on my phone.
That all makes sense. I suspect this device is “good enough” for most people who aren’t listening critically. I have a bunch of Sonos speakers scattered throughout the house that serve a similar purpose and provide lots of enjoyment.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Compare the NAD M33 to the Amazon Echo Link Amp. The software and functionality are similar, with Amazon having the edge, but for 17 times the price of Link Amp you get SOTA performance with far more power, outstanding industrial design, lovely display. The M33 makes the link amp look like a cheap disposable toy.

Compare this to the Echo Link streamer, and the functionality is pretty much the same, with Amazon software having an edge and this is more than 2x the price. They should have made a $900 streamer with something to differentiate it like 120dB SINAD, full HD DAC, PEQ or dirac, programmable sub crossover, a fancy screen, etc. The only thing differentiating this from Amazon and ithers is that Bluesound is also used on some really outstanding hardware.

Top Bottom