• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node X low volume output

touringdriver

Hello, i'm new to this forum but wanted to ask about an issue i'm having. I have a 2 month old Bluesound Node X with this issue since day one of hooking it up into my system.
I have my Bluesound Node X hooked up to my Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 power amplifier powering a pair of JLB Studio 590 Tower speakers. my issue is even when i bypass my tone controls in the Node app i'm getting maybe half volume from my setup. I contacted Bluesound almost 2 weeks ago but hasn't responded back yet. My analog db meter shows at peak to TSO Wizards in Winter at only 76 db. Very frustrated with the X primarily due to the lack of a real manual that explains operations and a troubleshooting section. If i can't resolve this issue by next weekend i will be investing in a Geshelli Labs J2 4499 DAC and pull my Parasound Zpre3 preamp out of the box again and find a streamer. I forgot to mention i'm streaming music from my ipad to the X and it's volume is at max, also i have internet connected to the X as well.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just guessing but I suspect its a (lack of) gain issue. Hook the Node up to your old preamp, crank it a bit.

OP
T

touringdriver

Just guessing but I suspect its a (lack of) gain issue. Hook the Node up to your old preamp, crank it a bit.
I got rid of my primary preamp because i was wanting to downsize in equipment and space.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From Emotiva web site
Input Sensitivity (for rated power; 8 Ohm load): 1.5 V.

The Node should push 2V at least, so that should work...

You're sure Replay-gain is off and you didn't set a volume limit on the Node ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
@touringdriver
Try measuring the output voltage of your Node X. That would be extremely helpful for diagnosing the issue and potentially for Bluesound's customer support.

To do this, you need:
-multimeter (a cheap $15 DMM is enough)
-RCA cable
-60Hz 0dBFS test file (WAV/FLAC)

Set your Node X to full volume, then play the 60Hz test file and measure the AC Voltage at the other end of the RCA cable:
81T417.png

Attachments

• Sine_60_0_dBFS_44k_PCM16_01.flac.zip
    331.9 KB · Views: 68
Top Bottom