• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

RadioBuddha

I'm not sure how many updates a unit gets makes it good, but okay. I'm going to assume you have a fancy remote and display that you can see across the room to know what you're selecting. I use a iPad and stream from my NAS or from Apple Music and have a great display that IO can see. I've also used Tital and Amazon music the same way. I just don'gt see any value in this device.

I'm not certain either, the Wiim Mini or the new Wiim Pro that will be arriving in the fall could fit the bill for what I am looking for but heads up, here is the new Bluesound Powernode Edge:

Am I correct that this Edge does not have any analog inputs? If I am just getting a low powered Wiim Mini, I will just keep my current ancient integrated amplifier but if I were to switch to this, I have a bunch of RCA analog inputs through an AV switcher thus I would need at least one analog input, I don't see it here, unless there is some adapter that could be purchased, anyway, thoughts on the Edge?

Update: OK, it does have a 3.5mm analog input, so I gather I could get a 3.5mm to rca jack wire to connect the switcher.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not there get a switcher with optical out

ivayvr

The same port is used for either analogue in or optical in. It is 3.5mm and you either need 3.5mm male to 2 RCA male cable. The 3.5mm adapter for normal optical cable was included with both Powernode and Node 2i I (had) have.

tcotruvo

I was streaming Radio Garden on my iPad Pro, wireless signal sent to an AirPort Express, then connected to 2 active B&O speakers and 2 active subs.

I bought the NODE N130, connected by Ethernet cable to an ASOS repeater 28.8k modem, and listen to Radio Paradise. The difference was a big step up in sound quality.

I’d like to take another step up if I can figure out what that is. A Topping D90SE is an option, but I’ve heard as many NODE owners say that a new DAC doesn’t make a difference as those saying it does. If the difference is tiny it’s not worth it to me.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the difference is tiny it’s not worth it to me.
I got the the Topping E30 ($150) with my Node 2. The difference was small but I think I could hear an improvement in the the hi-res material on Qobuz. If you use headphones it might be better. I rarely do.

Benleo

Does the newest NODE have a better or different DAC then the Node 2i? I am considering the NODE as streamer only, but if NODE has better DAC, then will likely buy new or used. Might transition it a bedroom or office in the future and a better build in DAC would be nice for a different room. Thanks.
I just bought and tried the latest BlueSound Node. The DAC sucks. I have a Wavelength Cosecant upgraded last year and one built into an Audio Research gsi75. Both make the Node DAC sound bad. My bigger problem with the Node is that I cannot use it with my external DAC without getting horrible electronic sounds. I contacted BS support and was told to turn off the Auto Clock Trim in Settings/Audio. I did that but still get terrible electronic noises. Have had Node for 2 weeks and will return it. I cannot find a way to use it with an external DAC. Bought a Zen Streamer and it works without problems. Zen Streamer Finds my J River Media Center, my computer via the iFi streaming app, and can stream to it via Tidal.

However, my many comparisons between Tidal, Spotify, JRMC and BlueSound App I've concluded that a high quality hi bit rate FLAC file played from JRMC, through my Wavelength and into my Audio Research gsi75 is the best sound. Beats Tidal sound quality from either the streamer or the computer. Bigger, richer, fuller, more detail, bigger stage.

Question to readers of this thread:

I would like to do be able to playback from my computer with JRMC into more than one DAC. Wavelength DAC is USB B input and I believe most DACs use SPDIF or USB. What switches and cables would I need to have two set-ups. 1) computer JRMC playback that went from computer into two DACS, which then go into a single amp. (Don't have a SPDIF out on my computer, only USB.) 2) A streamer that goes into two DACs and from the two DACS into a single amp. Input to amps would be by RCA inputs. I need to be able to switch so I can pick which DAC computer or streamer signal is sent.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Benleo

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I just ordered a Bluesound Node 2i.

Before I read this review :)

I'd been pulling my hair out for a long time trying to trouble shoot problems with my Logitech/raspberry pi server and have finally given in. Sick of dealing with discontinued stuff. A pal mentioned the Bluesound Node, quick research, ordered.

Having only scanned part of the responses, I'm hoping I'll be fine. Hopefully the app will work reliably as it has for some in the thread. And I'm feeding the output to an outboard DAC: my Benchmark DAC2L. So I'm presuming I will hear no difference in quality vs my raspberry pi (which would be a good thing).

I could feed the Benchmark DAC via the Bluesound Node's USB, Coaxial or Optical outputs. Any reason to prefer one output over the other?

(I've been using optical from my Raspberry Pi to the Benchmark DAC)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'd been pulling my hair out for a long time trying to trouble shoot problems with my Logitech/raspberry pi server and have finally given in. Sick of dealing with discontinued stuff. A pal mentioned the Bluesound Node, quick research, ordered.

Having only scanned part of the responses, I'm hoping I'll be fine. Hopefully the app will work reliably as it has for some in the thread. And I'm feeding the output to an outboard DAC: my Benchmark DAC2L. So I'm presuming I will hear no difference in quality vs my raspberry pi (which would be a good thing).

I could feed the Benchmark DAC via the Bluesound Node's USB, Coaxial or Optical outputs. Any reason to prefer one output over the other?

So is the Node compatible with Logitech, I'm assuming some sort of Squeezebox server?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So is the Node compatible with Logitech, I'm assuming some sort of Squeezebox server?

I don't know. I don't want anywhere near Logitech at this point. I'll be using the BluOS controller app.

Reactions: CMB

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know. I don't want anywhere near Logitech at this point. I'll be using the BluOS controller app.
Are you connecting to a NAS or have a large collection of local files? I'm asking because I hate to see anyone spend a ton of $$ on things like the Node when a PI can do a better job at most things. What is your list of uses?

pjn

I run my output out of the USB into and RME Dac. I used to run it into a Khadas Tone Board (using the Node as the power supply also). I can't realistically see why the coax or optical wouldn't be as good, in terms of audible difference.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you connecting to a NAS or have a large collection of local files? I'm asking because I hate to see anyone spend a ton of $$ on things like the Node when a PI can do a better job at most things. What is your list of uses?

Not a NAS. I just have my music on an external hard drive. So I've had it feeding the Raspberry Pi. I'll just switch it over to the Bluesound Node.

I stream my ripped CDs from that external drive, also use Tidal, and a number of internet radio stations. I've also got a fairly new subscription to Apple Music, and I understand the Node 2i accepts apple airplay, so I'd stream it from my phone.

Over the last year or two the Raspberry Pi has been dropping functionality, more glitches, then dropping radio stations, then couldn't play Tidal, etc. Tried trouble shooting with the Logitech community, with my computer-expert buddy...nothing worked. I've given up.

How will the functionality of the Bluesound be lower than the (functioning) Raspberry Pi system?

(I'm not super picky about the streaming set up - I listen to a lot of vinyl, but I just want something that works when I switch over to digital sources).

Benleo

I was using USB out to connect my Node to my DAC. That created a lot of electronic noise that was very loud. I did not try coax or optical so cannot comment on Node performance connecting to external DAC using those connections. I go back to iFi Zen Streamer created no such noise and is about 1/2 the price.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was using USB out to connect my Node to my DAC. That created a lot of electronic noise that was very loud. I did not try coax or optical so cannot comment on Node performance connecting to external DAC using those connections. I go back to iFi Zen Streamer created no such noise and is about 1/2 the price.

Wow. I knew that in principle the USB connection is susceptable to noise, but figured that was unlikely to be an issue. Easy enough for me to just continue using the Optical when I get the Bluesound Node. I'll also send the Bluesound's coax digital signal to my (old) AV Reciever so I can listen in upscaled surround.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a NAS. I just have my music on an external hard drive. So I've had it feeding the Raspberry Pi. I'll just switch it over to the Bluesound Node.

I stream my ripped CDs from that external drive, also use Tidal, and a number of internet radio stations. I've also got a fairly new subscription to Apple Music, and I understand the Node 2i accepts apple airplay, so I'd stream it from my phone.

Over the last year or two the Raspberry Pi has been dropping functionality, more glitches, then dropping radio stations, then couldn't play Tidal, etc. Tried trouble shooting with the Logitech community, with my computer-expert buddy...nothing worked. I've given up.

How will the functionality of the Bluesound be lower than the (functioning) Raspberry Pi system?

(I'm not super picky about the streaming set up - I listen to a lot of vinyl, but I just want something that works when I switch over to digital sources).
I guess I'm at a loss on what OS you might be using that has discontinued programs. I use Dietpi. I connect to a NAS with about 80K songs and use DLNA. For streaming I use Shairport to stream from my phone, laptop, ipad. You can't beat the phone or iPad for display functions.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess I'm at a loss on what OS you might be using that has discontinued programs. I use Dietpi. I connect to a NAS with about 80K songs and use DLNA. For streaming I use Shairport to stream from my phone, laptop, ipad. You can't beat the phone or iPad for display functions.

Sorry, I guess I was thinking of the Squeezebox being discontinued. The Logitech server being still "supported" (likely one guy troubleshooting bugs) in a good faith move. Makes me a bit queasy. I'm not super in to every nook and cranny for digital audio in terms of my home system, so trouble-shooting sucks.
I'm sure it's some issue related to my router or something, but haven't been able to fix it. The Bluesound is a Hail Mary hoping it just works.

I've used the iPeng app for the Logitech/Pi system. As mentioned, I'll just use Bluesound's app instead.

12Many

@MattHooper
I think you will be pleased with the functionality of the Node. I picked up a used 2i to play with It was easy to set up and steaming and airplay both work without a hassle or set up issues. I find the BlueOS running Amazon Music to not work well as it is missing some important features and it is slow to change tracks, but it does work and plays music. I will be trying Qobuz soon. I detest software issues or connection problems when I finally get some free time to listen to music.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I guess I was thinking of the Squeezebox being discontinued. The Logitech server being still "supported" (likely one guy troubleshooting bugs) in a good faith move. Makes me a bit queasy. I'm not super in to every nook and cranny for digital audio in terms of my home system, so trouble-shooting sucks.
I'm sure it's some issue related to my router or something, but haven't been able to fix it. The Bluesound is a Hail Mary hoping it just works.

I've used the iPeng app for the Logitech/Pi system. As mentioned, I'll just use Bluesound's app instead.
One last comment. I hope you have a running backup on the external drive.

Well 2 comments. Try running a headless Plex server on the PI. With Plex you can stream with AirPlay as well.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Bluesound hardware is fantastic and hardware and connectivity glitches are fixed quickly with updates. The UI is is functional especially when you mix music from different streaming services and your own NAS or computer all on one dashboard. Also internet radio is easy. The UI features are rarely updated to keep up with outside services despite constant complaints by users. I'm beginning to to think that the settlement Sonos is hamstringing Bluesound or something weird like that, just a guess because things that many users want, available on other platforms, are rarely addressed. Read for yourself.

Top Bottom