• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

12Many

Does the newest NODE have a better or different DAC then the Node 2i? I am considering the NODE as streamer only, but if NODE has better DAC, then will likely buy new or used. Might transition it a bedroom or office in the future and a better build in DAC would be nice for a different room. Thanks.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the newest NODE have a better or different DAC then the Node 2i? I am considering the NODE as streamer only, but if NODE has better DAC, then will likely buy new or used. Might transition it a bedroom or office in the future and a better build in DAC would be nice for a different room. Thanks.
Why spend 500+ when 100 will do the same or better job? What service are you streaming?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the a Node2 with a Topping E30 DAC. The improvement was minimal. Buying used is good idea with DAC but getting into the Bluesound family for multi-room gets pricey. I have four systems. The WiiM Mini seems like the way to for many rooms. IMO

12Many

Why spend 500+ when 100 will do the same or better job? What service are you streaming?
Devil's in the details, as they say. I can't comment on the mystery $100 device, but many / most of the lower priced options either don't have the functionality, easy of set up, readability, and application support/updates of what the NODE seems to have. Obviously, if it is truly the same or just as good, it would be great to save money. I am suspect though that it won't measure up at that price point.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Devil's in the details, as they say. I can't comment on the mystery $100 device, but many / most of the lower priced options either don't have the functionality, easy of set up, readability, and application support/updates of what the NODE seems to have. Obviously, if it is truly the same or just as good, it would be great to save money. I am suspect though that it won't measure up at that price point.
Well as far as streamers go the WiiM is transparent, seems to have lots of happy users and its under 100 US. I use Apple so cheap Airport Express's are plentiful and test as well maybe better then the Node.

12Many

I have the a Node2 with a Topping E30 DAC. The improvement was minimal. Buying used is good idea with DAC but getting into the Bluesound family for multi-room gets pricey. I have four systems. The WiiM Mini seems like the way to for many rooms. IMO
I have looked at that device and it is hard for me to make out much about it from the web site and many of the features are of no interest to me. I need a device with a hardwire Ethernet connection and a wired digital output to a DAC. Seems great for the price, but it may not have features/connections I want.

CMB

Does the newest NODE have a better or different DAC then the Node 2i?
Sorry to ask - but did you read the first post with measurements and comments ? It seems to me that this should pretty much answer your question with great precision.
KR

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I should also mention that while a RPI is a marvellous solution they are in short supply so a Nano 2,3,4 will do the same job and are well less than 100.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I said I have fours BS systems (3 wired) and have been happy. The UI has been stagnate with few changes, although technical glitches get fixed quickly by their good support. One system makes sense at $550 but for three rooms there are other options. Read through the WiiM treads seems like they update things quite a bit. I bet a cabled version is on the way.

12Many

Sorry to ask - but did you read the first post with measurements and comments ? It seems to me that this should pretty much answer your question with great precision.
KR
I should have read it more carefully as it did answer some of my questions. The review seems to suggest it was streaming from a Roon, so I was unsure if that that was wireless and effected the results or if the set up issues affected the sound from input to output. However, since it has the same DAC chip, which answers my question, it will be the same as a 2i. My buddy tried the DAC in the 2i with his SF Olympicas and a Mac amp and he said it was a step down. Since it is the same chip, I can save some money and possibly buy used. Thank you for point me in the right direction.

Reactions: CMB

RadioBuddha

What about the new Bluesound Powernode Edge that will be arriving in October? Has anyone here received one as an early review product? Quick question, does the current Node allow for an incoming red/white RCA jack, if not, is there an adapter that can allow this connection?

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you do anything other than depreciate the Node? Lots of one-trick pony vibe here.

I challenge anyone to find a streamer that one can buy off the shelf, no hobbyist futzing required, that can stream as many high-quality sources (online services, radio, and NAS) with as easy to use and control an interface. Now, this may not be worth $600 to you, but it certainly has been for me. Best audio purchase I've ever made.

ETA: if Bluesound were to add a product that allowed streaming of a single source to multiple locations in a house, I'd jump on that pronto.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you do anything other than depreciate the Node? Lots of one-trick pony vibe here.

I challenge anyone to find a streamer that one can buy off the shelf, no hobbyist futzing required, that can stream as many high-quality sources (online services, radio, and NAS) with as easy to use and control an interface. Now, this may not be worth $600 to you, but it certainly has been for me. Best audio purchase I've ever made.
Okay you win. Great piece of gear, I’d probably look at it if it didn’t have a headless panther. Just my personal opinion.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay you win. Great piece of gear, I’d probably look at it if it didn’t have a headless panther. Just my personal opinion.
I don't begrudge you your negative opinion, just as I don't begrudge @amirm for awarding the Node the beheaded feline. But recognize that these opinions are highly subjective in their own way.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I agree with Mr Buck and that Amir didn't give it a fare shake. But for some reason the people at Bluesound do not allow muti-user accounts, a true connect feature and major updates to there UI. Maybe it stems from losing the Sonos lawsuit and they are constrained by settlement. Five years ago this was by far the most featured and best for money as a turn key ready lifetime company curated system

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Besides the bad specs Amir had a problem with Roon support if I remember correctly. A headless RPI with Dietpi has Roon support.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Besides the bad specs Amir had a problem with Roon support if I remember correctly. A headless RPI with Dietpi has Roon support.
I use Roon with my BS stuff all the time. It had SINAD of 88 (mediocre) and Amir had trouble downloading the software and used Roon to test it. He refused to try any of many features which if you use it, they work great and that's the beauty, its all about playing music from anywhere.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Roon with my BS stuff all the time. It had SINAD of 88 (mediocre) and Amir had trouble downloading the software and used Roon to test it. He refused to try any of many features which if you use it, they work great and that's the beauty, its all about playing music from anywhere.
A Wiim at 89 a nano for 25 a full RPI with hat for 150 all will play music from anywhere.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A Wiim at 89 a nano for 25 a full RPI with hat for 150 all will play music from anywhere.
Not going to argue. But if read the treads here both of those are having many niggling set up issues and for non techie types that's not good. If WiiM gets Roon and Ethernet socket I may switch. Like Roon the BluOS updates monthly or more. Sounds like the Mini is getting to that point. You have look back 5-6 years where BS was versus competition and not a Pi-ject. This is BluOS onboard support all on one UI plus your NAS you load nothing just you account number that's the anywhere I meant. You can mix and make playlists from any source and play and save together.
1662764088395.jpeg

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not going to argue. But if read the treads here both of those are having many niggling set up issues and for non techie types that's not good. If WiiM gets Roon and Ethernet socket I may switch. Like Roon the BluOS updates monthly or more. Sounds like the Mini is getting to that point. You have look back 5-6 years where BS was versus competition and not a Pi-ject. This is BluOS onboard support all on one UI plus your NAS you load nothing just you account number that's the anywhere I meant. You can mix and make playlists from any source and play and save together.
View attachment 229793
I'm not sure how many updates a unit gets makes it good, but okay. I'm going to assume you have a fancy remote and display that you can see across the room to know what you're selecting. I use a iPad and stream from my NAS or from Apple Music and have a great display that IO can see. I've also used Tital and Amazon music the same way. I just don'gt see any value in this device.

Top Bottom