• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blades and Maggies

boatheelmusic

Initially, I had my Maggies flanking my new-to-me Kef Blade One speakers.

As you may kmow, the Blades each have four 9" SIDE-FIRING woofers. With the Maggies placed on the flanks, a "box" was formed by the front wall, side wall and Maggie that the Blade was firing into. This "box" had the effect of really boosting the Blade mid-bass, which was cured by removing the Maggies from their location.

With the side-firing woofers, the Blades want to be placed at least 36" from the side walls, but can be placed within 9" of the front wall per Kef. Totally opposite placement considerations from Maggies. And, with their super wide dispersion mid/treble drivers, the soundstage is very wide, rather unlike the Maggies, which image best primarily in the MLP.

An REW scan shows extended response below 30 hz in my room.

A question for knowledgable posters:

With the Maggies against the front wall, behind the Blades, the Blade bass ports fire into the Maggies. Would you consider the interaction of the Blade bass port and the Maggie absorption, diffraction or something else? In any case, the Blades sound great at 45" from side walls and 16" from Maggies behind. 12" from front wall behind Maggies, as close as they can be placed.

My listening room is 40' long x 17' -20' wide x 18' high. 12,240 - 14,400 cu ft.

Many thanks for your thoughts!

Curvature

Major Contributor
With the Maggies against the front wall, behind the Blades, the Blade bass ports fire into the Maggies. Would you consider the interaction of the Blade bass port and the Maggie absorption, diffraction or something else?
For the bass port specifically, those are the lowest frequencies produced by the speaker, and it's unlikely they have any meaningful interaction with the Maggies. You need specific pressure absorbers to produce an useful effect. Diffusors don't go that low.

For mid and high frequencies there may be a small amount of absorption, but no diffusion. A Maggie is a flat surface that sort of acts like a wall, which is worth keeping in mind.

OP
B

boatheelmusic

Your response makes sense, thank you. One other thought is because the Maggie is a film rather than a hard surface, it likely flexes with the port output, perhaps becoming somewhat "invisible" rather than reflecting port output directly.

Thanks again,

Top Bottom