• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Angled Treatment on Side Wall First Reflection Points? Bad idea?

soundspy

Hi all,

I'm planning to treat my room in the next weeks, and I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the best approach to treat my first reflection points on the side walls. The rest of the room is fairly straightforward and will include clouds, rear wall first reflection point treatment, and floor-to-ceiling bass traps in that one rear corner.

As you can see on the drawings, I only have a limited space to place treatment on my left side due to the window (and I can't cover the window other than with curtains or place anything in front)

I figured for my listening position anyway, it would be perfectly fine and would give me enough space to treat the first reflection points. Initially, I thought that after treating the front corners, by placing bass traps with a 45-degree angle vertically from floor to ceiling, that would still leave me around 40 cm space to treat the side reflection point then on the left side in ear heights (+ right side as well because I want to keep the symmetry) so I could potentially look for 40 cm wide panel there or DIY.

However, and here's the catch, now I'm thinking that it would be cool to stack my bass traps in the front corners horizontally like on the drawings up to almost to the ceiling, which would also cover the first reflection points on the side walls, but it would be angled in this case. The dimensions for the bass traps are (H x W x D): 1240 mm × 600 mm x 200 mm, so basically, I would stack 4 most likely per corner, and it would be 1240 mm wide and 2400 mm tall.

Could this work, or is it a bad idea...? Of course, I will measure as much as I can, but if this is feasible, I could avoid buying the 40 cm wide panels just to experiment.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Thanks a lot.

I
TF1.png

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I'm planning to treat my room in the next weeks,
Did you measure the room? "Diagnosis before treatment." ;)

A calibrated measurement mic is around $100 USD, which is probably less than you're spending on treatment and REW (software) is free.

Then you can/should measure after treatment to make sure you've made an improvement.

Given your listening position, it looks like your ideal will work.

You may also want to deal with the ceiling/floor.

OP
soundspy

soundspy

Did you measure the room? "Diagnosis before treatment." ;)

A calibrated measurement mic is around $100 USD, which is probably less than you're spending on treatment and REW (software) is free.

Then you can/should measure after treatment to make sure you've made an improvement.

Given your listening position, it looks like your ideal will work.

You may also want to deal with the ceiling/floor.
Thanks a lot for the advice. Not yet, but it's part of the plan. I will have my new Genelec system with the GLM kit here in the next few days. I don't plan to buy big bulks of treatment and will go step by step between measurements.

Which part of the room do you mean dealing with the ceiling/floor? Is there anything else worth considering in the first steps besides what I mentioned in the post?

"The rest of the room is fairly straightforward and will include clouds, rear wall first reflection point treatment, and floor-to-ceiling bass traps in that one rear corner."

Last edited:

tmuikku

Hi,
you could search the web and do quick study about control room designs. I think what you are imagining to do is close to concept Reflection-Free Zone https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/sos-guide-control-room-design

In general I think it is a good idea to experiement with what you have, so I'd put the bass traps there for starters and see how it works out. Experimenting with room acoustics and positioning is a good opportunity to improve listening skill as well, and to learn how your room sounds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom