• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speakers in the world?

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some people waste their time on the internet discussing completely ridiculous things.
I'm in good company, though. You're all good chaps, it seems. Not sure I'd want to hang out with people who have watches as their interest, though.

It just sounds like a complete waste of time.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'm a watch fanatic, there are millions like me.
"Not sure I'd want to hang out with people who have watches as their interest, though."
People who aren't audiophiles probably think the same about us (;

Last edited:

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Time-keeping wise, yes. However, you or your heirs might be able to recoup the million dollars sunk in the Patek. Sometimes one can even hope to make a tidy profit. Not so with a Casio.
You can make a profit, maybe. Some vintage Casios in great condition actually do sell for close to a grand. This is, of course, pocket change compared to even the cheapest new luxury watch. Probably not going to put the kids through college by selling off a drawer full of used Casios.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...d=1&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_udlo=500&_udhi=50000

I feel the same about supercars. The thought of going out on the highway in a half million dollar car and getting peppered by gravel makes me cringe.
If it helps your cringe factor slightly, my understanding is that most people who take supercars out on the road usually get a clear vinyl coating like this, in order to protect the finish. :)

paddycrow

Forum Donor
I bought a Rolex Submariner in 1976 for a little less under $400. It was about a month's pay for me then. I wore that watch for more than 40 years when it was stolen from my golf bag. Similar watches were selling for 10X what I paid for it. I kinda missed it so I bought a used Explorer II which I've now had for more than 10 years. I doubt I will ever buy another watch. I've seen people that collect expensive watches and have a staggering amount invested in them.

I have also accumulated quite a bit of Leica camera equipment. I haven't shot any 35mm film in ages, so it pretty much sits in a display case now. I do have a digital body that I can use with the old lenses, but I rarely use any of it. Funny thing about cameras, the best camera is the one you have with you. The one sitting at home isn't very useful. I've thought about selling some of it, but the interest was passed to me from my father so I have a sentimental attachment to it.

I've spent more than a sensible amount on audio equipment, but I'm nowhere near the esoteric silliness. I've never paid retail, fortunately I have a close family member in the business (which restricts the brands under consideration). I only buy something if I can pay cash. I will be buying a new pair of speakers next year, but they won't be in the $100K+ range.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
I have also accumulated quite a bit of Leica camera equipment. I haven't shot any 35mm film in ages, so it pretty much sits in a display case now. I do have a digital body that I can use with the old lenses, but I rarely use any of it. Funny thing about cameras, the best camera is the one you have with you. The one sitting at home isn't very useful. I've thought about selling some of it, but the interest was passed to me from my father so I have a sentimental attachment to it.
Same for me, but Pentax.

hege

Forum Donor
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
40th anniversary 8341A @hege
Genelec-8341-40th-Anniversary-Pack-203837_Z.jpg

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
But when you buy $250K speakers you expect them to be the most accurate, best sounding, with the the most amazing bass etc vs cheaper speakers.
Not necessarily. I would expect them to have wonderful cabinetry and looks. The 'best' sound is not a given.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'm not sure, it's not exactly furniture from Ikea, you're paying mostly for performance ( like in supercars) obviously you expect top notch build quality and beauty but that's only the bonus.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure, it's not exactly furniture from Ikea, you're paying mostly for performance ( like in supercars) obviously you expect top notch build quality and beauty but that's only the bonus.

Based on the measurements I've seen of über-expensive speakers, it unfortunately tends to be the other way around.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Yeah but this is Focal, and they put all their technology and knowledge into one speaker, it has to be something special.
I agree with you in most cases these Uber expensive speakers are garbage, like Beolab 90

StefaanE

Forum Donor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Again, not necessarily. There are very expensive speakers I've seen reviewed in Stereophile which measured no better than far less expensive but competently engineered speakers. I've heard some of these speakers myself at times and have just had to shrug my shoulders and wonder 'why', because the same sound could be had by speakers which had the advantage of larger scale manufacturing to bring costs down to more in line with material costs.

In my field of audio electronics design, I could absolutely design an amp, preamp or such and use NASA/military construction with billet this and that, hand built by myself in a process which takes months - which would cost a fortune, but this product wouldn't perform one whit better than the same components in a much more mundane steel chassis with a silk screened faceplate with toggle switches. Massively expensive speakers are the same way, with a lot of bling and very inefficient one-off manufacturing. It doesn't mean they don't perform well, but it just means that much less expensive speakers could perform as well or better with good engineering.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Money does not equate good sound... I’ve listened to uber expensive systems in private dedicated rooms in the NYC area when I was more actively engaged as an audiophile and was never wowed... I always felt these systems sounded colored, hyped or masked some musical information... They were loud, for sure, and impressive visually, but never sounded quite neutral the way I was looking for myself.

Here’s an example from YouTube (binaural recording):

All that money...

Last edited:
Top Bottom