• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL CBT 70J-1 Review (Constant Beam Transducer)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the special JBL CBT 70J-1 (upper unit) constant beam transducer design. It was kindly purchased new and shipped to me by a member. It costs US $1047 on Amazon including free delivery. You can get it in black or white colors.

Note: our company, Madrona Digital is a dealer for Harman and hence JBL. We have actually installed a number of these speakers in commercial applications. See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ransducer-speakers-in-commercial-project.310/. You may also want to assign as much bias as you feel necessary for the subjective aspects of this review.

Other than being tall and narrow, little hints at the unusual design of this speaker:

JBL CBT 70J-1 Review CBT Array Speaker Constant Beam.jpg

There are four low frequency drivers and whopping 16 high frequency ones:
JBL CBT 70J-1 Review CBT Array Speaker.jpg

Using "shading control" the drivers work together to limit vertical dispersion to the height of the speaker.

There are two settings on the unit as you can barely see on the right bottom of the speaker above. One sets the width, I choose wide, and the other, "music or speech." I naturally selected music. JBL documentation shows these settings create the flattest response.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I performed over 2000 measurement which resulted in error rate below 2% up to 10 kHz or so. Above that, error shoots way up so the response there is not correct. I could use more points but as is, it took nearly 5 hours to measure and created a 1.5 gigabyte measurement file!

Testing temperature was around 60 degrees F.

I could not see through the grill to pick a "reference axis" and wouldn't know where that would be anyway. So for measurements, I just picked a more or less center location on the flat part of the speaker.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

JBL CBT 70J-1 Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:
JBL CBT 70J-1 Measurements frequency response.png

Harman includes spin data that shows much flatter response than above. Specifically there is no sign of that resonance in their measurements. But it is in every aspect of my measurements. I even heard it during the sweep! The level went up and then back down in the middle. We can see evidence of resonance in waterfall display:

JBL CBT 70J-1Measurements CSD Waterfall CBT Array Speaker Constant Beam.png

And evidence of even more of then in impedance and phase graph:
JBL CBT 70J-1 Measurements phase and impedance.png

I could also see it in the 'in-room" distortion measurements:

JBL CBT 70J-1 Measurements THD distortion.png

Speaking of distortion, it is extremely low:
JBL CBT 70J-1 Measurements relative distortion.png

Sure, it doesn't attempt to play very low but what it does play is very clean.

Efficiency is the highest I have measured of any speaker I have tested, clocking at 92 dB or so.

Early window reflections are very good:
JBL CBT 70J-1 Measurements early window frequency response.png

Notice how the ceiling reflections - dashed red - are at so much lower level due to beam forming produced by CBT technology. Floor reflections are not that much reduced though.

Our predicted in-room frequency response is very good, sans that resonance:

JBL CBT 70J-1 Measurements predicted in-room frequency response.png

Horizontal directivity is wide and not controlled a lot:
JBL CBT 70J-1 Measurements horizontal beam width.png

JBL CBT 70J-1 Measurements horizontal directivity.png

Vertically, it is another game altogether:
JBL CBT 70J-1 Measurements Vertical directivity.png

This thing is a shaft of sound coming at you! Vertically directivity control is definitely there.

Edit: here are two 3D graphs which should help with understanding of how the sound field is shaped to be a horizontal donut as opposed to sphere:

JBL CBT 70J-1 Measurements Balloon Plot 1.png

JBL CBT 70J-1 Measurements Balloon Plot 2.png

Listening Tests
The efficiency advantage came through immediately as soon as I played my first track through the CBT J70-1. I could barely turn up the volume before the speaker would fill my large space with ease. Turn it up even more and it can get scary loud with no hint of distortion! Granted, deep bass is not there but everything above that plays with incredible efficiency and dynamics.

Tonality was very good but I thought I take down the resonance peak with EQ:
JBL CBT 70J-1 parametric eq equalization.png

The difference was subtle. The sound was more open now, more detailed and slightly less harsh. Once there, I sat and listened and listened! It was an incredible experience.

If you have not ever heard a CBT speaker, it is something altogether different. You can walk up to it and level barely changes. Ditto for going back or even moving horizontally. It can almost be called "constant level speaker!" You feel like you are freed from sitting like a statute in a fixed spot. You can walk around a large area and overall response of the speaker barely changes. It is so uncanny and what I experienced when I listened to these at Harman years ago. They had them in this massive airplane hanger type building. Yet these were filling them with so little drop off in level as you walked forward and back.

While these speakers are a natural for outdoor use, they also make great surround speakers. They solve the issue of the people sitting to the sides hearing too much of the surround speaker closest to them.

Conclusions
I must say, while I expected to hear the nice experience of CBT beam forming, I did not expect the speaker to sound so correct tonally. And be so efficient and effort-free. With just that bit of EQ, you have a very high performance speaker. They need bass enforcement though. I have the companion lower half of this speaker which I will test next.

I am going to strongly recommend the JBL CBT 70J-1. You need to hear one to open your vista of what is possible with a bit of complex math.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• JBL CBT 70J-1 Spinorama.zip
    88.6 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One note: these speakers have a tiny base and are top heavy. They feel like they would topple if you just breathed on them! They come with brackets to mount them on the wall. If you are going to use them on a stand like I have, be extra careful around them. For measurements, I actually used bungie cords to hold it down to measurement rig.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tons of graphs here: https://jblpro.com/en/site_elements/cbt-70j-1-spec-sheet

Spinorama (uploaded by @Valentin R and adjusted by me):
0487713E-F351-484D-8A13-21DDC24FD6DC.jpeg

Their coverage spec makes no sense though:
62FBDEFB-9B30-4C01-AF00-6C82D1079324.jpeg

25° and 45° are the names for the narrow & broad modes respectively, but the specs are the same at +/-10°, even though the broad mode goes deeper. Not sure why horizontal is labeled 150° though.

_________

For measurements, I actually used bungie cords to hold it down to measurement rig.
Maybe they have a resonance of 800Hz :p

Last edited:

retro

I did not expect the speaker to sound so correct tonally. And be so efficient and effort-free. With just that bit of EQ, you have a very high performance speaker.

Ok, but to put in context, compared to your reference Salon2's...what are you missing, what are you gaining..?

REALLY interesting review, looked forward to this..thanks Amir..!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Harman includes spin data that shows much flatter response than above. Specifically there is no sign of that resonance in their measurements. But it is in every aspect of my measurements. I even heard it during the sweep!

So Harman have been fudging their spin data and FR.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So Harman have been fudging their spin data and FR.
Possibly. Or maybe they measure them without the grill or something. Or else something has changed in manufacturing. Hopefully they see this and respond.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ok, but to put in context, compared to your reference Salon2's...what are you missing, what are you gaining..?
You are definitely missing the bass response. You are gaining constant level. If I turned up my Salon 2s, it would be way too loud close up, and not so loud far in a large room. With the CBT, this doesn't happen (or nearly as much).

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@amirm The measured performance doesn't really correlate with your strong recommendation IMO.

Perhaps the novelty, unconventional design and the CBT 'magic' is influencing you? Based on your measurements, I wouldn't bother with these for anything other than a small exhibition or conference room, but certainly not in the home. What do you think?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm The measured performance doesn't really correlate with your strong recommendation IMO.
If you take away the resonance at 800 Hz, response is flat between 200 Hz and 10 kHz. That is very good considering the good directivity control.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you have not ever heard a CBT speaker, it is something altogether different. You can walk up to it and level barely changes. Ditto for going back or even moving horizontally. It can almost be called "constant level speaker!"
Wow! So these speakers somewhat get around the inverse square law (double distance, loose 6dB SPL)?? How??
Thanks for the review amirm!

rockyb

Forum Donor
Very interesting review. Size factor suggests they could be used as R and L for home theater. What would you use for center speaker?
Opinions please. Thanks

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wow! So these speakers somewhat get around the inverse square law (double distance, loose 6dB SPL)?? How??
By not allowing the sound to expand as a sphere.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Very interesting review. Size factor suggests they could be used as R and L for home theater. What would you use for center speaker?
If you have an acoustically transparent screen, then you can use them for center as well.

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Their coverage spec makes no sense though:
View attachment 118791

25° and 45° are the names for the narrow & broad modes respectively, but the specs are the same at +/-10°, even though the broad mode goes deeper. Not sure why horizontal is labeled 150° though.

For some reason all the CBT papers use "narrow" and "broad" when referring to vertical directivity. It is very confusing at first! So what those specs mean is 25 +/-10 degrees or 45 degrees +/- 10 degrees of vertical dispersion (or if you prefer, 15-35 narrow or 35-55 wide degrees).

personally I would have chosen short/tall or closed/open, but it is what it is.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
they also make great surround speakers
Seems that they'd be excellent LCR speakers as well, but I think you'd need an acoustically transparent screen. It's pretty clear you'd get poor results with the speaker on its side.

Anyone have clever ideas for a matching center channel?

Top Bottom