• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva

Holmz

Major Contributor
That wood turned out nice. I can't figure out if I like all wood better or something like that navy blue front panel with wood elsewhere

Also is the badge inset now? Looks better that way.
Some real 1st world issues to contemplate there…
(Well done sir.)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Thanks!

rating
Tonality: 7.3
Bass extension: 32Hz
Flatness: ±1.2dB

That's insane! :)

This becomes the king of bookshelf speakers, beating "Kef Reference 1 Meta (Erin) (Using Long Port)" as the #1 spot...and 22% cheaper than Kef. Update: I'm comparing US prices.

Congrats to March Audio for creating such a well-measuring speaker!

I've updated my 'passive speaker' recommendation thread already.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
@Matias

Is the speaker you bought the same as the one Erin measured?
I saw the name AWG on spinorama.org, and assumed it was a newer speaker, than the one Erin measured.
Maybe I’m just confused.
Perhaps @pierre added it by mistake as a new speaker, but it's actually the same speaker?
1700899581614.png

Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Tonality looks very similar to our SBS.1 speakers, which makes me believe they will sound very good in-room! :D Congratulations on great measurements! :)

Penelinfi

@Matias

Is the speaker you bought the same as the one Erin measured?
I saw the name AWG on spinorama.org, and assumed it was a newer speaker, than the one Erin measured.
Maybe I’m just confused.
Perhaps @pierre added it by mistake as a new speaker, but it's actually the same speaker?
View attachment 329201
The Sointuva WG is the original with paper Purifi
The Sointuva AWG is an updated version with aluminium Purifi.
The website hasn't been updated for a while, plus most builds shown have been with the paper Purifi .

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Oh, that explains it.
Thanks for clarifying. :)

Why the hell didn't March Audio create a new page on his website for "The Sointuva AWG is an updated version with aluminium Purifi" then? :facepalm:

Penelinfi

That's insane! :)

This becomes the king of bookshelf speakers, beating "Kef Reference 1 Meta (Erin) (Using Long Port)" as the #1 spot...and 22% cheaper than Kef.

Congrats to March Audio for creating such a well-measuring speaker!

I've updated my 'passive speaker' recommendation thread already.
In Australia, KEF Reference 1 meta : $15k
March Audio Sointuva : $6k
That leaves you $9k for an amp and subs
Or just use it for something else lol
Or buy a pair of Ukkonen with it $9k

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, wrong picture on the Spinorama website for the AWG, still using the paper woofer (WG) instead of the aluminum woofer (AWG).

And also yes, March Audio's website still showing the paper woofer WG only. Aluminum woofer AWG is new, just released, only 2 pairs sold yet.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Here's the comparison:
both.gif

The Sointuva WG is the original version with paper Purifi => the one Erin reviewed.
The Sointuva AWG is an updated version with aluminium Purifi => data from Warkwyn facility (3rd party Klippel NFS), reported by Matias yesterday

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yesterday I was comparing its distortions in 86 dB to the very best from Erin's website.

Look how the Sointuva AWG has below -50 dB of THD above 70 Hz. None can match this, KEF R3 Meta and JBL 4367 come closest.

Sointuva AWG
image002.png

Kii Three
Kii%20THREE%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2886dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Dutch & Dutch 8c
Dutch%20%26%20Dutch%208c%20----%20Harmonic%20distortion%20%28relative%29%20%40%2086dB1m.png

Mesanovic CDM65
Mesanovic%20CDM65%20%28Cardioid%20Mode%29%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2886dB%20%40%201m%29.png

KEF Reference 1 Meta
Kef%20Reference%201%20Meta%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2886dB%20%40%201m%29.png

KEF R3 Meta
Kef%20R3%20Meta%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2886dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Genelec 8331A
Genelec%208331A%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2886dB%20%40%201m%29.png

JBL 4367
JBL%204367%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2886dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Dynaudio Special Forty
Dynaudio-Special-Forty-Harmonic-Distortion-86dB-1m.png

Revel F226Be
226.jpg

Revel M126Be
Revel-M126Be-Harmonic-Distortion-86dB-1m.png

Arendal 1723 THX Monitor
Arendal-1723-THX-Monitor-Ported-Harmonic-Distortion-86dB-1m.png

Buchardt S400 MkII
Buchardt-S400-MKII-Harmonic-Distortion-86dB-1m.png

Ascend Sierra-1 V2
Ascend-Acoustics-Sierra-1-V2-Harmonic-Distortion-86dB-1m.png

The Blade Metas 1 and 2 come closest in linearity and extension - for 17.5 and 12.5k USD each pair respectively!

Sointuva AWG continuous line x Blade 2 dotted line.
awg blade 2.jpg

We can see that the Sointuva AWG is possibly the best speaker when considering linearity, bass extension and low distortion. Even compared to more expensive and/or larger speakers. Phenomenal!

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Well yes and no, the Sointuva doesn’t have the bass extension of the 8C or the cardioid response which really helps with actual in room measurements then again the 8C is much more expensive .
The March designs are superb though looking forward to seeing the Ukkonen plots.
Keith

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In my experience, below 32 Hz there is no musical signal anyway, so I would gladly make that trade off.

Don't trust me, test it yourselves: with a full range system, choose a bass heavy music, turn the volume up, and then set a low pass filter at 32 Hz and hear what is left.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I suspect you are correct but it is quite nice to have full level output at those low frequencies.
Audibility of THD is an interesting question, when we first took delivery of the Kii BXT subs I measured them and distortion was as you would expect way lower than the Kii Threes alone , you can switch the BXTs in and out from the Kii control so easy to compare, I played extremely loudly so loudly that he Kiis limited their output ( flashing led ) but honestly I couldn’t hear that distortion or lack of that distortion with the BXTs engaged.
Keith

Penelinfi

In my experience, below 32 Hz there is no musical signal anyway, so I would gladly make that trade off.

Don't trust me, test it yourselves: with a full range system, choose a bass heavy music, turn the volume up, and then set a low pass filter at 32 Hz and hear what is left.
I'd still be using subs for certain things. I listen to some songs that do have content down there that is good to feel/hear. Also given that the level of bass down there usually needs to be higher.

I would have liked to see multitone distortion vs other speakers especially a three way like kef to see how well it does.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I suspect you are correct but it is quite nice to have full level output at those low frequencies.
Audibility of THD is an interesting question, when we first took delivery of the Kii BXT subs I measured them and distortion was as you would expect way lower than the Kii Threes alone , you can switch the BXTs in and out from the Kii control so easy to compare, I played extremely loudly so loudly that he Kiis limited their output ( flashing led ) but honestly I couldn’t hear that distortion or lack of that distortion with the BXTs engaged.
Keith
That's interesting, I had the exact opposite experience. Switching off the DXT was associated to a degradation of everything in the medium area.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
That’s interesting I had the Kii/BXTs here ( we were the first retailer in the U.K. to stock them) for what three of four years and I conducted that comparison for myself and for customers many times.
Actual in room FR measurements between off and on are virtually identical except for around +3-4dB output in the lower bass .
Keith

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
That’s interesting I had the Kii/BXTs here ( we were the first retailer in the U.K. to stock them) for what three of four years and I conducted that comparison for myself and for customers many times.
In no way I was implying that you could be wrong. Just relating a different sighted experience ;).
Actual in room FR measurements between off and on are virtually identical except for around +3-4dB output in the lower bass .
Which perfectly makes sense. But differences in distortion won't be highlighted by such a measurement.

Top Bottom