• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best low cost all digital stereo room correction?

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Current signal chain = Computer --> SMSL SU-9 --> Preamp --> Amp --> Speaker

If I want to insert something between the Computer and SU-9 that will provide 20hz-20khz configurable room correction from my computer, would something like the Mini-DSP Open DRC-DI work well? I'm a little annoyed that none of Mini-DSP's offerings seem to offer Asynchronous USB input, and AES digital output, because that would be an ideal pairing with my Schiit Modius.. Are there products that offer this connectivity that I'm missing?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If you are sourcing from the computer, why not do the correction there?

I don't which is why I have something external, otherwise, I would.

Honken

Daverz

Major Contributor
If you already have a computer in the chain, I would suggest trying a software solution first. You need a filter designer and a convolver to apply the filters. REW can can be used to design the filters. There are lots of convolvers or playback software that includes convolvers. See this thread:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ows-linux-macos-ios-ipados-and-android.18450/

[Oops, I didn't see Honken's reply.]

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
I bought a DDRC-24, but hesitated as it doesn’t have digital outputs. Also, I was worried about the quality of the internal DAC and the 48KHz internal Dirac processing. I decided to go for it, to let me play with 2ch Dirac without footing the bill for an SHD unit.

The DDRC-24 is excellent. After I installed it and set Dirac to give me a NAD RoomFeel type EQ, I’ve never looked back. I have other technically better DACs (inc. ADI-2) but - to my ears - the benefits of Dirac calibration and a nice target curve are huge and significant, and more than compensate for the technically inferior processing and DAC chip performance.

All in all, it wouldn’t surprise me if a DDRC-24 could make you happier than your SU-9.

OP
Dougey_Jones

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Thank you Gentlemen.

My source signal chain is kind of up in the air right now. I currently listen to Spotify the most, but have an enormous FLAC collection on my PC. The problem is that it's a hassle to listen to the FLAC (Foobar w/ASIO) and I haven't committed to Roon at this point. I have an Arcam ST-60 streamer in the mail which I'm 50/50 excited and apprehensive about because I'm not sure how I'm going to integrate it into my overall experience. I could go Arcam ST-60 --> DDRC-24 --> SU-9 or Modius, but then that's really just a solution for Spotify and not my FLAC collection, unless Arcam's file explorer turns out to be worth a damn.

Any thoughts on cleaning this all up?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ST-60 has a DAC, you could connect a hard drive with your flac files to the Arcam straight to amplifier. If you want DIRAC , Arcam>DDRC-24>Amp.

SMc

I'm curious about an outboard eq solution for my Mac Mini. I tried the Au Labs/Soundflower software but started running short of application memory, something that had never happened before. Has anyone tried the MiniDSP IL-DSP or the E1DA PowerDAC v2 or the Qudelix 5K?

OP
Dougey_Jones

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
The ST-60 has a DAC, you could connect a hard drive with your flac files to the Arcam straight to amplifier. If you want DIRAC , Arcam>DDRC-24>Amp.

I'm trying to stay all balanced XLR on the analog side, don't particularly want to use the DAC in the Mini-DSP, and would like to avoid the additional ADC step.

An ideal situation would be ST-60 Coax Digital Out --> Some kind of DSP Room Correction with XLR Digital out --> Schiit Modius --> Rest of my system.

The DDRC-24 would do this, no?

Attachments

• DDRC24.PNG
    DDRC24.PNG
    167 KB · Views: 466

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm trying to stay all balanced XLR on the analog side, don't particularly want to use the DAC in the Mini-DSP, and would like to avoid the additional ADC step.

An ideal situation would be ST-60 Coax Digital Out --> Some kind of DSP Room Correction with XLR Digital out --> Schiit Modius --> Rest of my system.

The DDRC-24 would do this, no?

That is a DDRC-22D but would do what you want. Important to note that USB is for control only, not audio.

Michael

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm curious about an outboard eq solution for my Mac Mini. I tried the Au Labs/Soundflower software but started running short of application memory, something that had never happened before. Has anyone tried the MiniDSP IL-DSP or the E1DA PowerDAC v2 or the Qudelix 5K?

I ran convolution and PEQ filters on my 2012 Mac Mini with no problem but I believe I had 16gb of RAM on that machine. If you're using a lot of VST/AU pluggins it will tend to use more processor power/cores though.

I just replaced my MiniDSP 4x10 (IIR only) with an OktoDac8 for 3 way + subs XO duties and do all my corrections via the computer. Removing the Minidsp gave me back tons more headroom. Really no comparison but I did use and appreciate the 4x10 in my system for almost 10 years.

I'm in the process of formulating a guide for multichannel correction and processing systemwide for Mac but pretty busy at the moment. It's really nice - any source can be utilized so not confined to JRiver or Roon for the built in convolution.

OP
Dougey_Jones

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
That is a DDRC-22D but would do what you want. Important to note that USB is for control only, not audio.

Michael

Does anybody happen to know how the curves are adjusted on the DDRC-22D? Is it by app, or is it connected via USB to the computer and that's where the target curves are set/adjusted?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You connect your computer to DDRC-22D by USB. The minidsp plugin on your computer is where you set your parameters, run Dirac and then store them to the minidsp. I know the SHD studio had 4 presets you could configure this probably does as well. Download the manual from minidsp and get an idea what it does.

Xombul

Forum Donor
Why don't you use the (free) math audio plugin for foobar? All you need is a good microphone like a miniDSP umik1.
Alternatively you can use REW to design EQ filters and use APO.

OP
Dougey_Jones

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Why don't you use the (free) math audio plugin for foobar? All you need is a good microphone like a miniDSP umik1.
Alternatively you can use REW to design EQ filters and use APO.

I will definitely play around with this because the cost of entry is basically nothing, but it's not a long-term solution for me because it would mean I couldn't use my streamer and still have room correction. But I'll probably pick up a Umik1 and play around with this for now to get the hang of it.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Xombul, if I'm going to play around with Math Audio plugin for Foobar, does the plugin have a tone generator for establishing a baseline, or is there a standard way of sweeping the room/system to find out your jumping off point?

Apologies in advance, this is the first time I'll be trying my hand at digital domain EQ for my stereo setup.

Last edited:

racerxnet

Thank you Gentlemen.

My source signal chain is kind of up in the air right now. I currently listen to Spotify the most, but have an enormous FLAC collection on my PC. The problem is that it's a hassle to listen to the FLAC (Foobar w/ASIO) and I haven't committed to Roon at this point. I have an Arcam ST-60 streamer in the mail which I'm 50/50 excited and apprehensive about because I'm not sure how I'm going to integrate it into my overall experience. I could go Arcam ST-60 --> DDRC-24 --> SU-9 or Modius, but then that's really just a solution for Spotify and not my FLAC collection, unless Arcam's file explorer turns out to be worth a damn.

Any thoughts on cleaning this all up?

I am not sure what the problem is with Foobar and its use. I set up Foobar with the convolver using the files generated with REW. Coverflow has been a nice addition and gives it a more updated look/feel. Most people only need to correct the low end response between 20 to 400hz or so. Math Audio is a plug in that also corrects the room response and is a free plugin for Foobar as well. You can also use it as a system wide correction tool. Foobar has been the most versatile playback engine for large collections of classical music. Youtube source and the use of MadVR as the playback renderer is very nice.

https://www.foobar2000.org/components

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I use Paradigm PW-Links streamers/Anthem Room Correction with optical out to Modius and RME DACs. DLNA FLAC playback from network drives using either Bubbleupnp or Play-Fi. US price $199. Works for me.

Alec Kinnear

Forum Donor
I was worried about the quality of the internal DAC and the 48KHz internal Dirac processing. I decided to go for it, to let me play with 2ch Dirac without footing the bill for an SHD unit.

The DDRC-24 is excellent. After I installed it and set Dirac to give me a NAD RoomFeel type EQ, I’ve never looked back. I have other technically better DACs (inc. ADI-2) but - to my ears - the benefits of Dirac calibration and a nice target curve are huge and significant, and more than compensate for the technically inferior processing and DAC chip performance.

All in all, it wouldn’t surprise me if a DDRC-24 could make you happier than your SU-9.

I tried the MiniDSP HD (same unit without Dirac). The DAC was so awful in comparison to my Musical Fidelity V90 (not the latest word in DACs but very smooth vocals with extremely gentle but pleasant treble rolloff) that even after separating subs and carefully calibrating with REW, the MiniDSP HD went straight back to the seller. The MiniDSP DAC offered extremely grainy, harsh vocals. Sounds became thinner and unnatural sounding. Awful in comparison to the MF V90. No way I was going to "upgrade" to worse sound. Having a second go now at DSP correction with MathAudio Room EQ. Full info at the link but it's going much better using the MF V90 as the system DAC, starting with careful manual setup of the system using REW (sounds good without DSP) before adding absolutely minimal corrections (nothing like flat response).

No mid-bass hump and significantly more clarity in many vocals. Still not sure I prefer the music with DSP as without (the soundstage has lost some depth, some vocals sound a little less natural/live).

MathAudio Room EQ is just $100 unlike Dirac at $350 and Arc at €240 and Sonarworks at €249 or Waves at €399 or MiniDSP DDRC-24 ($449 + shipping). Works with your existing UMIK-1 (or similar calibrated microphone) easily cross-checked with REW (here's the interface superimposed on the REW after measurement.

REW-after-MathAudio-RoomEQ.png

I like how simple and minimalistic MathAudio RoomEQ is and that it's based in AU or VST plugins. I don't want a complicated additional program which could easily become incompatible with a new version of the OS or start to crash a computer (interfering with CoreAudio is a great way to render a computer unstable). In terms of playback from iOS, external player or CD (have all of those), I carefully set up the system (2.2 stereo, stereo-subwoofers) not to depend on DSP to sound good. It sounds fine without DSP. As I listen most from the Mac Pro, having DSP just on it is probably enough. When required, the NAD C165BEE allows me to tweak balance and (rarely) tone (mostly it stays on tone defeat). Old school.

Last edited:
Top Bottom