• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best floorstanders <£5k/$6k

maty

Major Contributor

Attachments

• Bamberg-3-as2100-rear-Hypex-UcD.jpg
    Bamberg-3-as2100-rear-Hypex-UcD.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 124

Sonny1

With the old Hypex UcD. :rolleyes:

Website hasn’t been updated. He’s using the most recent Hypex amps/crossovers these days. I don’t think the one pictured is even available these days. Phil knows what he’s doing when it comes to speaker design (website design and updates are another matter).

I notice you focused on that and not the measurements he was able to achieve with the design. I’ve owned and evaluated sever of Phil’s speakers and they all sound very good. Probably not the best option for an EU person because auditioning would be difficult/impossible.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Higher breakup mode, so pistonic motion to 20khz.

Translation: the top end of cymbals and 'air' on the very top end are smoother.

It's a generalisation, but that's all. Unless it's a 4 inch compression driver, it's not a massive difference.

You will see it in the phase graph when tested.
When you are 67 YO do you really need "pistonic motion to 20khz"? Some advantages to age related hearing loss, I guess.

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When you are 67 YO do you really need "pistonic motion to 20khz"? Some advantages to age related hearing loss, I guess.

That's it.

In a 1 inch dome, no, not really. First breakup mode at 15 khz is not really that audiable in most cases. (Depends on the driver)

In a 4 inch diaphragm compression driver yes because that breakup starts at around 4.5khz or so in titanium.

Sonny1

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
I have not found any off-axis or distortion measurements. Without them I cannot recommend it publicly to listen to very good recordings.

With the information available, it is much better interesting than many others more publicized and known, at least in Europe.

BTW, yesterday I enjoyed listening several times to the best available recording of a famous album. With my little loudspeakers and without a subwoofer.

Queen - A Night At The Opera (1975), Vinyl, EMI 1997, 180g Centenary Edition, Europe
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/6958-playing-listening-post6263947.html

maty

Major Contributor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pseudo D'Appolito 2-way configuration while it can be decent choice price wise can't be per se a best choice imho due to its poor vertical radiation (strong beaming at mids) and higher IMD compared to a decent 3-way. I personally even prefer 2.5 way configurations to it which solves at least one of those two issues and doesn't cost really much more to implement.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
Pseudo D'Appolito 2-way configuration while it can be decent choice price wise can't be per se a best choice imho due to its poor vertical radiation (strong beaming at mids) and higher IMD compared to a decent 3-way. I personally even prefer 2.5 way configurations to it which solves at least one of those two issues and doesn't cost really much more to implement.

Directivity vertical down 0 °, 5 °, 10 °, 15 °

samuel_hq_winkel_vertikal_unten.png

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And it looks like the speaker has two resonances centered at 2k and 4k, in my opinion the worst places possible. Almost smoothed over by graph, but still visible. Avoid resonances at all costs.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those ripples don't look really critical to me as they don't really show traces at distortion and spectral decay measurements.
Hm, fair point. Perhaps it's not resonances, but it's certainly a congestion in the directivity. More energy in those areas compared to the rest is a bad thing, imo.

Top Bottom