• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best budget DAC nowadays?

Carlo2AC

I remember last year to.. even late 2018? that the Khadas Tone Board was incredible for its price x performance ratio.
Since then we have had quite a few DAC offerings, from Topping and even JDS.

My question is, is it still the best sub 200 U$ DAC on the market?

how does it stack against the JDS DAC and the Topping Offerings (like the E30-E50.. which other Topping am i missing?) or any other know brand i am missing too.

This will be for just plugging in a single headphone, so performance > features

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I remember last year to.. even late 2018? that the Khadas Tone Board was incredible for its price x performance ratio.
Since then we have had quite a few DAC offerings, from Topping and even JDS.

My question is, is it still the best sub 200 U$ DAC on the market?

how does it stack against the JDS DAC and the Topping Offerings (like the E30-E50.. which other Topping am i missing?) or any other know brand i am missing too.

This will be for just plugging in a single headphone, so performance > features
Performance-wise, all the DACs that measure well will be indistinguishable from each other. In other words, no consistently verifiable audible differences.

If you're talking sub $200 then you're outside of the superb build/brand premium value added factor, which just leaves features and appearance. The JDS Atom DAC is great but lacks display, remote and multiple inputs (it's USB only). The Topping D10s is one of the cheapest around, but if you want a remote then you'd need to go up to the E30. If you need bluetooth you'd need to go up to the D50s.

Check out the review index page and set it to show DACs under $200 that are recommended and then take your pick.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Schiit Modius for 200 usd looks like the best option.

OP
C

Carlo2AC

Performance-wise, all the DACs that measure well will be indistinguishable from each other. In other words, no consistently verifiable audible differences.

If you're talking sub $200 then you're outside of the superb build/brand premium value added factor, which just leaves features and appearance. The JDS Atom DAC is great but lacks display, remote and multiple inputs (it's USB only). The Topping D10s is one of the cheapest around, but if you want a remote then you'd need to go up to the E30. If you need bluetooth you'd need to go up to the D50s.

Check out the review index page and set it to show DACs under $200 that are recommended and then take your pick.

I don't see why i would need a display and a remote on my DAC if i am using just a headphone and sitting on my computer

I checked both reviews, the E30 seems to measure better than the Atom DAC, so you are saying i won't hear any audible differences between them with a headphone plugged in and they plugged in USB friend?

Schiit Modius for 200 usd looks like the best option.

It looks amazing on XLR output but i would have to get an Amp with XLR input.. any recomendations? on RCA it seems to measure worse than the E30?

Soncoz LA-QXD1 sounds absolutely phantastic. I am using it since Mai .with Raspberry Pi 4/Picoreplayer and one iFi 5V power supply.
Power supply is very important.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/soncoz-la-qxd1-balanced-dac-review.13459/

http://www.soncoz.com/laqxd1.html#/

I have also Buffalo DAC and Khadas Tone Board at home, LA-QXD1 ist phantastic, very close to Buffalo.

I don't see the Buffalo DAC measured here but that Soncoz LA-QXD1 you mentioned looks phenomenal!

Is this accurate from what i read on the reviews themselves?
RCA : Soncoz > Topping E30 <> Shiit Modius > JDS Atom
XLR : Soncoz > Shiit Modius

Am i missing any problems with them, firmware issues and etc?

Sukie

Forum Donor
I I checked both reviews, the E30 seems to measure better than the Atom DAC, so you are saying i won't hear any audible differences between them with a headphone plugged in and they plugged in USB friend?
That's correct. The better measurements on the E30 are outside of audible range. That's why both DACs get a firm recommendation from amirm.

win

you can get an odac or ol-dac for basically free

Shazb0t

Schiit Modius is a real solid deal. Great single ended and balanced outputs for $200.

waterguillaume

Soncoz LA-QXD1 sounds absolutely phantastic. I am using it since Mai .with Raspberry Pi 4/Picoreplayer and one iFi 5V power supply.

What are your settings for picoreplayer ? (specially the squeezelite settings)

Thanks

McFly

I think the bang for buck kings are;
topping D10s if your just using USB
Topping E30 if you need SPDIF coax or optical
And Schiit Modius if you need balanced XLR out.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
The smartphone that's already in your pocket. Cost: zero. Distortion: below audible limits and much lower than the transducers of your headphones, just like any other competently designed DAC. If your phone doesn't have 3.5mm audio output: the Apple dongle for $9.

Last edited:

Aardappel

Just keep in mind that you don't buy the E30 version with the polarity mixed up. And keep in mind that apparently the E30 makes popping noises each time you switch it on.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
And keep in mind that apparently the E30 makes popping noises each time you switch it on.
My Topping D10 makes a click/pop sound when I turn it on (even with no speakers hooked up).
My month-old Topping E30 doesn't. I have serial # that starts with 2009xxxxxx.
For people with serial #s of starting 1910-2003, Topping released a firmware update (dated 2020-05-21) that fixes the pop noise issue.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Totally agree, and would add if you need a remote, Topping E30 would fit that as well.

IF ONLY Schiit Modius included a remote, then I could easily justify the 50% cost increase from Topping E30 to Schiit Modius JUST to get balanced XLR outputs...oh well.

sinski

What are your settings for picoreplayer ? (specially the squeezelite settings)

Thanks

My Settings for Pi4/4GB Player and Pi4/8GB LMS Server:

Player (PI4/4GB) Settings

Squeezelite settings
Output setting: hw:CARD=LAQXD1,DEV=0
ALSA setting: 131072:4: :1:
Buffer size settings: 20000:400000
Priority setting:45

Wifi Settings

RPi built-in Wifi: off
RPi built-in Bluetooth: off

Tweaks:

piCorePlayer Tabs: No
LMS Controls Toolbar: No
HDMI power: Off

CPU Isolation: 0,3
Squeezelite CPU: 3
Squeezelite Output CPU: 3

User command #1 /bin/sleep 180 ; /usr/bin/pkill udhcpc ; /usr/bin/pkill sftp-server ; /usr/bin/pkill sshd

LMS Server (PI4/8GB) Settings:

Wifi Settings

RPi built-in Wifi: off
RPi built-in Bluetooth: off

Tweaks:

piCorePlayer Tabs: No
LMS Controls Toolbar: No
HDMI power: Off

CPU Isolation: 0

User command #1 /bin/sleep 180 ; /usr/bin/pkill udhcpc ; /usr/bin/pkill sftp-server ; /usr/bin/pkill sshd

All settings inspired by "soundcheck":

https://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/p/in-part-3-of-audio-engine-series-id.html

:)

michman66

I would argue that the best bang for the buck USB DAC is the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro/HIDISZ S8. The Tempotec version is $40 on Amazon.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dizs-s8-usb-c-headphone-adapter-review.10823/

https://www.amazon.com/TempoTec-Sonata-HD-PRO-Android/dp/B084YX4MZD/

Although a few people have been reporting some issues, I've been using mine in place of a Topping D50S. Works just as well. In fact, just sold my D50S.

I have a D50S in my main rig. You sold it and the Tempotec just as good? Really? I'm looking at the Linsoil G3 and Hidez S9. And DX3Pro. Thx

Top Bottom