• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best DAC up to 170 euros

hifi_nj

I have a Marantz NA6005 network player which is coming up to 10 years old. I have it hooked up to a Roksan K2 Kandy amplifier (190watts into 4ohms, 125 watts into 8ohms). They are driving Wharfedale Lintons.

I feel like I could improve the sound of my network player as DAC technology has improved a lot in the last ten years. I'd be using the toslink out on the NA6005. The Marantz + Linton has a 'warm' sound signature which is probably being overdone right now.

I have been reading a lot of reviews and wow, it is raining high performing budget DACs right now. I am in the EU (Ireland) so audiophonics / amazon.de is probably going to be the best place to purchase.
The Topping E50 (of the 150 different offerings from Topping) looks like a good fit but I would appreciate your take.

Thanks in advance...

staticV3

Master Contributor
One easy way to increase sound quality would be to replace the NA6005 with a WiiM Pro Plus.

You would not only get a modern AK4493SEQ DAC with 116dB SINAD, but also a 4-band Parametric EQ with which to apply some basic room correction (more bands may be coming with a FW update).

Last edited:
OP
H

hifi_nj

I did actually consider that as an option. Tidal Connect is something I do not have at the moment and the Plus would give me that.

@staticV3 do you consider to be anything separating these standalone DACs and the Plus in terms of (audible) audio quality?

It's also 10% off an already great price on audiophonics... 224 euros.

staticV3

Master Contributor
If you want, then you can expand the WiiM system with a turntable or CD player using the analog and digital inputs

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
DAC technology has improved a lot in the last ten years.
The specs & measurements may be better but the "sound" hasn't changed THAT much, if at all.

Most DACs are better than human hearing with flat frequency response, distortion below audibility and noise below audibility.

I'd be using the toslink out on the NA6005. The Marantz + Linton has a 'warm' sound signature which is probably being overdone right now.
"Warm" has a couple of different meanings. What does it mean to you?

...You'd be unlikely to hear a difference in a proper, level-matched, blind listening test.

Maybe just try some EQ. Or get a measurement mic and measure your speakers & room, then EQ, and maybe consider some acoustic treatment depending on the measurements.

Or, maybe think about adding a subwoofer, but the crossover/bass management can be tricky without an AVR. I'm assuming you don't want to change your speakers... I don't think your speakers are "bad" and it's a lot more money... But different speakers ALWAYS make a difference (for better or worse).

OP
H

hifi_nj

The specs & measurements may be better but the "sound" hasn't changed THAT much, if at all.

Most DACs are better than human hearing with flat frequency response, distortion below audibility and noise below audibility.

"Warm" has a couple of different meanings. What does it mean to you?

...You'd be unlikely to hear a difference in a proper, level-matched, blind listening test.

Maybe just try some EQ. Or get a measurement mic and measure your speakers & room, then EQ, and maybe consider some acoustic treatment depending on the measurements.

Or, maybe think about adding a subwoofer, but the crossover/bass management can be tricky without an AVR. I'm assuming you don't want to change your speakers... I don't think your speakers are "bad" and it's a lot more money... But different speakers ALWAYS make a difference (for better or worse).
Definitely measurements are better. I don't have a facility to properly AB test but I hooked up my Audiolab 6000A play (from my office setup) as a pre-amp excluding the NA6005 from the chain. I thought I heard greater resolution and detail through the Audiolab which has a better measuring DAC.

Describing warm on ASR without reference to measurements would probably get me ejected on my first post :D. Not sure if I am ready for that. Seriously though, what I am hearing is a slightly less resolving speaker than the LS50 which preceded it with slightly rolled off treble. And maybe some bass bleed further up the frequency range. But hey, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, I am no expert to be honest.

The EQ thing is a good suggestion though. I have gone from a small monitor to a large box speaker interacting with my room. And maybe that bass needs controlling.

I do have an old sub knocking around I could try but I want to try and get the 2.0 to a good place first.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Seriously though, what I am hearing is a slightly less resolving speaker than the LS50 which preceded it with slightly rolled off treble.
The LS50's estimated in-room response shows slightly more pronounced midrange and lower treble compared to the Linton (Link):
Screenshot_20231120-174531_Chrome.png

That can totally explain what you're hearing.

Middle Earth

These are two I am considering these two

SMSL DO100 USB DAC ES9038Q2Mx2 OPA1612x4 Bluetooth5.1 DSD512 32bit/768kHz USB/BT/Opt/Coax Input RCA/XLR Output High Resolution Balanced Audio Decoder with Remote Control https://a.co/d/ahqr6yF

S.M.S.L D-6 Dual AK4493s Chip Bluetooth 5.1 LDAC Audio DAC DSD512 PCM 768kHz 32Bit CK-03 Clock Moudule 6.35mm TRS*2 Balanced Output Type C to Type C USB RCA Decoder with Remote Control (Black) https://a.co/d/6gurKSR

Top Bottom