• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best 'Bang for your buck' IEM - Poll

Best 'Bang for your buck' IEM under $100.

• 7Hz Salnotes Zero

Votes: 76 25.1%
  • BLON BL-03

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • DUNU Titan S

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • HZsound Heart Mirror

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Moondrop CHU

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • Tanchjim Tanya

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Tripowin x HBB Olina

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero (Original = Blue)

Votes: 49 16.2%
  • TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero:RED

Votes: 146 48.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 20.5%

• Total voters
I'm still a massive fan of the original TinHifi T2 for 'Bang for Buck', The Honest Audiophile from YouTube recently rated them over the Zero:Red which surprised me tbh as not many people mention the T2 these days.

The TinHiFi P1 Max also definitely deserve a shout out, they sell for $99 these days, bargain planer that price if you prefer a smoother sound signature.

Last edited:

Michou

After reading the TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero:RED review and thinking to myself that I should get at least one pair of IEM (even though I mostly listen with speakers and subs for the soundstage and tactile experience).

I almost fell into the 'buy now and think later' mentality with the Zero Reds but a brief search online made me realize that there are lots of reasonable/good/great IEM for under $100.

So I am wondering what are peoples suggestions for the best 'bang for your buck' sub $100 IEM.
I could use EQ on any of these for sure, but I think having it tuned nicely right out of the box would be ideal for using it with phones and other devices that don't have EQ readily available.

Certainly could have missed some recommendations so feel free to comment with what I might have missed.
Also numerous votes are allowed if you think there are two or three that are interchangable at top spot.

Thanks for any advice!

@crinacle I do not know if you are allowed to chime in (I assume you have been asked this question at nauseum though, sorry!)
Moondrop CHU or Kinera Tyr, both with Final Audio Type E eartips. Cheap as chips, incredibly comfortable, easy going sound with minimal listening fatigue.

Last edited:

AudioKC

IMO Truethear Hexa is the choice

Jith77

I'm still a massive fan of the original TinHifi T2 for 'Bang for Buck', The Honest Audiophile from YouTube recently rated them over the Zero:Red which surprised me tbh as not many people mention the T2 these days.

The TinHiFi P1 Max also definitely deserve a shout out, they sell for $99 these days, bargain planer that price if you prefer a smoother sound signature.
same here. Still searching for the misplaced T2.

hcra

I'm very happy with TRN VX. Rock Obsidian were great until they lasted.

RaB_7382

try the FiiO jd7
we wont need this discussion further. My post on the FiiO-philes club.

1687089079694.png

markanini

Major Contributor
After listening to Truthear Red I think it should definitely be one of the main choices.

Other sets I've owned, and compared to: Moondrop Lan, Truthear Hola, 7Hz Zero, Kiwi Cadenza, Sony MH755, Moondrop Quarks DSP, Tangzu Waner, Etymotic ER4S

oscar_dziki

The only problem with this recommendation is that the MH755 was discontinued in 2013. Not only is it difficult to know if one you are buying is real, but they are often for sale at notably higher prices than MSRP.
It's not the only problem. Level of microphonics, or cable sound if you wish, make them unusable for me on the go and hard to use even when I work with more then one monitor:)

Dealux

Probably for the most cohesive tuning and best overall separation and precision, I would have to go for the Etymotic ER2 with the triple flange tips and a deep fit. There's just something about that smooth liquid sound that I have yet to experience on other IEMs or even headphones. However, the ER4 has much better treble resolution and timbre but it's a lot more expensive.
My vote goes to Truthear Hexa and Truthear Zero:Red as a good 2nd.
I see people liking Hexa a lot. I don't think it's as refined as the driver count would suggest. It sounds very harsh on a lot of music, regardless of tips being used.

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I voted for the original Truthear as I think it's excellent, and prefer it to IEMs many times the price. I also voted for the CHU despite mine failing because they were amazingly good for £15 or £20 or whatever they cost. I ordered the CHU 2 and hope it's less prone to fail, having a much less crappy filter. I also voted "other" and my other is the Moondrop Quarks because with EQ they are fine sounding and what I also love is that with foam tips they can fit deep and isolate to an amazing degree. These are the ones I wear on public transport or when walking in the city. And at home quite a lot too.

markanini

Major Contributor
I voted for the original Truthear as I think it's excellent, and prefer it to IEMs many times the price. I also voted for the CHU despite mine failing because they were amazingly good for £15 or £20 or whatever they cost. I ordered the CHU 2 and hope it's less prone to fail, having a much less crappy filter. I also voted "other" and my other is the Moondrop Quarks because with EQ they are fine sounding and what I also love is that with foam tips they can fit deep and isolate to an amazing degree. These are the ones I wear on public transport or when walking in the city. And at home quite a lot too.
Chu 2 filter looks identical to the existing Chu/Aria filter. To put filter issues into perspective, part of what makes them suspeptible to clogging is also what makes a smoother tuned IEM. Because if you look at graphs of workout IEM they have more "teeth". Sony MH755 filters clogged faster IME and you had to buy a whole new IEM when it happend, the Sony was a smoothly measuring set that was affordable before the Moondrop and Truthear stuff appeared. Chu filters can be ordered separately. I suspect some will be disappointed by the Chu 2 because of the added bass vs. the clean bass of OG Chu. Despite the flaws I'd argue OG Chu will have it's place in the budget market until it will eventually be discontinued, probably soon since Chu 2 is out.

1689437676535.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Moondrop Jiu (think the Chu but with a built in dongle dac) is tremendous value if you dont already have a USB C dongle. Needs less EQ than the Chu as well.

graph (11).png

KosherButcher

Probably for the most cohesive tuning and best overall separation and precision, I would have to go for the Etymotic ER2 with the triple flange tips and a deep fit. There's just something about that smooth liquid sound that I have yet to experience on other IEMs or even headphones. However, the ER4 has much better treble resolution and timbre but it's a lot more expensive.

I see people liking Hexa a lot. I don't think it's as refined as the driver count would suggest. It sounds very harsh on a lot of music, regardless of tips being used.
+1 on what you said about both the ER2 and ER4. I have both, and I think your assessment is spot on.

OP
J

johnp98

Update:
I got the 7Hz Salnotes Zero and was very impressed! Especially for the price!
I caved and bought the Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED and they also are very impressive, especially the low bass! They certainly are a leg up on the 7Hz Salnotes Zero, but that is to be expected for the price difference.

I have a hard time knowing which one is a better "bang for my buck" as the reds seem like an appropriate upgrade for the price difference and do not fall into significant diminishing returns.
I don't think I will take the step into the Moondrop Blessing 2 (or 3) or others for the next step up as I am afraid that it would enter into diminishing returns.

I think my two cents would be that the 7Hz Salnotes Zero I can recommend to anyone and everyone (even non-audiophiles) for entry into IEMs as the price is so accessible. Then if someone is not opposed to spending a bit more on them the reds would be a great entry point with no need for the 7Hz.

I am still a speaker and subwoofer type of guy, but these headphones sure have been a pleasant surprise, especially for use all around the house, when doing emails, etc.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While I haven't heard the REDs, they basically did the same thing I did with EQ to the originals, so I would have to say the RED is in the running.

However there is more to it than sound alone. They work for my ears, but not everyone has a good experience with their larger tip. Even for me if I do a lot of insertion and removal they do make my earholes sore. That's why the Moondrop Aria is interesting to me as something that "fits different".

JLGF1

No they didn't.
How is a comparison of both un-EQed equivalent to a (potential) comparison of 1-EQed vs 2-un-EQed? I must be missing something.

GaryH

Major Contributor
You're missing the 'EQ' in 'Truthear Zero EQ' on the above graph i.e. the red curve is the original Truthear Zero's response with Chromatischism's (peculiar) EQ applied, compared to the blue curve which is the Zero Red's un-EQed response.

Top Bottom