• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best 'Bang for your buck' IEM - Poll

Best 'Bang for your buck' IEM under $100.

• 7Hz Salnotes Zero

Votes: 67 23.7%
  • BLON BL-03

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • DUNU Titan S

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • HZsound Heart Mirror

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Moondrop CHU

Votes: 16 5.7%
  • Tanchjim Tanya

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Tripowin x HBB Olina

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero (Original = Blue)

Votes: 49 17.3%
  • TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero:RED

Votes: 137 48.4%
  • Other

Votes: 58 20.5%

• Total voters

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Truthear Zero (or the Red) is a solid bet from a sound perspective BUT its very hard to wear/ find the right tips for a lot of people. The best description I saw was by another user on here who described it as "hangs by the tip" which is not a great proposition for an on the go/ mobile set. Nothing worse than having to fiddle with something in your ear constantly.

Of course, others dont seem to have this problem so YMMV if you pick these .
I never liked my Zero's! it wasn't the fit. tonality is off in a weird way, no amount of EQing could fix it. sound was brittle and hard.
Up for sale if anybody wants it, almost zero mileage! (PM me, in UK).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Jimbob54 these arrived a few minutes ago and they fit, and as I suspected tight but doable. You probably already know but you sort of turn them inside out, I add just a touch of spit on the tube hole end of the flange hole and then starting at the edge twist and downward push over the lug. The Salnotes has a ridge but these go over it.

Think I have some similar so might try your rather perverted fitting technique

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never liked my Zero's! it wasn't the fit. tonality is off in a weird way, no amount of EQing could fix it. sound was brittle and hard.
Up for sale if anybody wants it, almost zero mileage! (PM me, in UK).
Similar feelings here, not for Zero though but for IEMs in general. Can give away all of them and keep the Etymotics only. Everything else is giving me a headache.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Similar feelings here, not for Zero though but for IEMs in general. Can give away all of them and keep the Etymotics only. Everything else is giving me a headache.
Not me. I like my Sennheiser's! I can wear them on long flights, and the noise blocking can come in handy.
Not only that, but I have an old pair of Q-jays, recently I dug them up, and they sound decent too. It is just that the Zero's (crinnacle), measured so well, and it seemed such a bargain, that has left me deflated after listening to them for a couple of days, before deciding, they are not for me.
I tried to like them, but couldn't.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Oh Man-I saw this poll immediately AFTER ordering TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero:RED. They are winning right now-fingers crossed.

Reactions: GPJ

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't had a lot of experience with IEM's, but have had a handful with no great success, mainly due to ill fitting tips.

Of the list I can only speak to the Truthear Blues and the Salnotes both of which are phenomenal out of the box, but in the thread on the Salnotes, there is a PEQ offered by one of the posters (sorry forgot who) that make the Salnotes a high end product.

For me the biggest breakthrough that added to my thorough enjoyment of both and made the zero's performance even more enjoyable was the discovery of triple flange silicon ear tips.

Zero - triple flange silicon tips - Paul Simon's acoustic guitar on 7 psalms = Heaven.
URL or Amazon links for the triples flange ear tips, please?

Peace.

doctorjuggles

I listened to the Zero:Red at the Munich High End show and was very impressed by them, absolute bargain at $55. I prefer it to the Blon by some distance

oleg87

From my humble little collection:

Best value - Wan'er ($20), Cadenza ($35). The Hola seems tuned very similarly so I'm sure I'd like it as well.
Not my thing - Truthear Zero OG (shouty, source-sensitive frequency response), ER2XR (don't like the fit and it sounds worse than the $20 IEMs)
Regret buying - Aria, Chu (QC, piercing treble)

digitalfrost

Major Contributor

Best value - Wan'er ($20), Cadenza ($35). The Hola seems tuned very similarly so I'm sure I'd like it as well.
Not my thing - Truthear Zero OG (shouty, source-sensitive frequency response), ER2XR (don't like the fit and it sounds worse than the $20 IEMs)
I feel our tastes are similar, if you wanna spend some bucks take a look at the XENNS Mangird Tea 2, I love mine.

asrUser

Aria OG should be pretty similar to Hola so I don't get you. No, its treble is not piercing. It's more of a dark sound.

TimW

Major Contributor
I own the Moodrop Chu, 7Hz Salnotes Zero, and the original Truthear x Crinacle Zero. I also own the Truthear Hola, QKZ x HBB Khan, and ordered the KZ PR2 recently.

One channel of the Chu stopped working after just a few months of use, probably because of the cable which isn't removable. I wasn't a fan of its treble anyway so even though it is cheap, I wouldn't say it has the best bang for the buck.

The Truthear Zero is great, my favorite sounding of the bunch. I like it with the included foam tips and I think the cable and carrying bag are the best out of any of these others.

With that being said I voted for the 7Hz Zero. The tips and cable are meh and there is no case. No deep bass rumble like the Truthear Zero either. But they sound very neutral, not lacking in detail, not distorted, they just put out clean natural sounding music. For half the price of the original Truthear Zero, I think they are the Bang for the Buck kings.

Last edited:

oleg87

Aria OG should be pretty similar to Hola so I don't get you. No, its treble is not piercing. It's more of a dark sound.
It is similar to the other IEMs I mentioned through most of the frequency range, but I hear a big peak somewhere above 10KHz I find quite fatiguing. Might be a unit (or human?) variation thing. But it's also kind of irrelevant because I can't listen to them for longer than an hour without one of the channels getting really quiet.

posvibes

I own the Moodrop Chu, 7Hz Salnotes Zero, and the original Truthear x Crinacle Zero. I also own the Truthear Hola, QKZ x HBB Khan, and ordered the KZ PR2 recently.

One channel of the Chu stopped working after just a few months of use, probably because of the cable which isn't removable. I wasn't a fan of its treble anyway so even though it is cheap, I wouldn't say it has the best bang for the buck.

The Truthear Zero is great, my favorite sounding of the bunch. I like it with the included foam tips and I think the cable and carrying bag are the best out of any of these others.

With that being said I voted for the 7Hz Zero. The tips and cable are meh and there is no case. No deep bass rumble like the Truthear Zero either. But they sound very neutral, not lacking in detail, not distorted, they just put out clean natural sounding music. For half the price of the original Truthear Zero, I think they are the Bang for the Buck kings.
Couldn't agree more, and I too voted for the 7Hz zero despite my love for Crinacle zero, bang for buck is Salnotes 7 from those that I have heard in the list.

OP
J

johnp98

Couldn't agree more, and I too voted for the 7Hz zero despite my love for Crinacle zero, bang for buck is Salnotes 7 from those that I have heard in the list.
I just got the 7Hz Salnotes Zero as they are just so cheap and they defiantly did not disappoint! Super happy with them. Now just to see if I will cave and buy the REDs when they come out.

Jimi Mack

For under $100 my choice is the Hexa and for under $30 I have to give it to the Hola. The 7hz Zero I have and gave it a try, nice but a little fatiguing for me after an hour, was never a real fan of Crinacle releases to date. Lately it seems Truthear Hexa and Hola has been my go to choices the last few months.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
in terms of 50/55$ for audio the Zeros are excellent value. That said if you listen at home, proper headphones sound better, at least to me. I can wear them for longer and the sound doesn't change depending on how deep I ear fuck myself with the IEMs.
I have found that jamming the eartip as deep as possible doesn't really help and is more likely than not a sign to try a different tip and / or back off a bit (a little counterintuitive perhaps). It seems to distort the tip, causing loss of seal, and lost seal equals lost bass.This seems to pertain to gel tips. I like memory foam tips but they don/t last long for me.

Top Bottom