• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer DEQ2496 Ultracurve Pro DSP Review

Frank2

With the DEQ2496, I used parametric EQ, not GEQ. This enables you to precisely tune each band to the exact center frequency, amplitude, and width that you need.
Sure, especially for room modes the PEQ is the right tool (sometimes you're lucky and one of the GEQ bands is a match).
I try to save two PEQs per channel for traditional bass and treble adjustments, useful for bad or some older recordings. I mainly use the GEQ for subtle finetuning in the mid and high frequencies to smooth out the frequency curves and to compensate any differences between left and right.

I told earlier that I use the x-curve as a kind of target curve but I was wrong. I actually have a frequency response similar to this one:
1662487924360.png

Since I use pink noise the room reverb is included. And I like a bit of power in the lowest octaves.
(Not my picture by the way, I copied it from the web)

Edit: Just found out this is called a 'house curve': https://www.hometheatershack.com/threads/house-curve-what-it-is-why-you-need-it-how-to-do-it.96/

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
First time DEQ2496 user here.

I have just tried to use the power of REW to set up my first parametric EQ with this device.

So far I managed to arrive at this set of values.

1664911402112.png

To this end I fed it with a list of frequencies that I thought would be at play, and let the program find the Qs and gains.

I am not unhappy with the result but still a bit annoyed by the peak around 95Hz. It seems to be right in the middle of two available PEQ frequencies. Is this correct?

Also I would rather let REW decide on the relevant frequencies to correct. But whatever I do it keeps coming up with frequencies that I can not select in the DEQ2496. Is this possible at all? Is there something I am overlooking?

Thanks in advance!

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Yesterday I managed to put in these filters.

Schermafbeelding 2022-10-05 105611.png

I am beyond amazed by the effectiveness of this unit. With this 'fine' switch (yes I know RTFM :):facepalm:), the number of available frequency steps is just excellent, and I love how I can let REW now do all of the number crunching.

rnd

I've said this elsewhere, but if anyone can make a fully digital hardware appliance with 10 bands of parametric EQ per channel that supports a configuration push over USB from a front-end GUI application in Windows/macOS/Linux, they will make a killing. All people want to do is figure out their room or headphone EQ, push it to a box, and never worry about it again. No software to run, no system-level drivers to hook into your OS, no compatibility issues, nothing to update.
Qudelix 5k is pretty close. Balanced, 10 bands, parametric (though no decimal points for frequency). Maximum Q of 7. Unfortunately, both channels are EQd together. Works across Windows/Linux/Mac as a Chrome extension, alternatively you could do the one-time setup with Android or iOS over bluetooth and then forget it.

It's a USB/Bluetooth DAC though, no other inputs.

1665054769223.png

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
On Windows, this appears to get one very close too.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On Windows, this appears to get one very close too.

That looks great! I've tried the older MIDI control app, but could never get it to work. Seems like this one is much better and more complete.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This thing worked better than I expected. :) I used it's Loudspeaker Management System brother, the DCX2496, for years. Not surprisingly, they share a great deal of circuitry. Both seem like a great choice for a beginner.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
This thing worked better than I expected. :) I used it's Loudspeaker Management System brother, the DCX2496, for years. Not surprisingly, they share a great deal of circuitry. Both seem like a great choice for a beginner.
The big plus (for me) is the toslink in/out that the DEQ2496 has, as opposed to any of its brother and sister devices. Even if most of this is just peace of mind.

That looks great! I've tried the older MIDI control app, but could never get it to work. Seems like this one is much better and more complete.
Right? I'm seriously considering getting the required hardware interface and cables to try it out.

Kind of surprised that REW does not specifically support this unit or seem to mention it anywhere. For instance here. It would be all I need.

MRC01

Major Contributor
The big plus (for me) is the toslink in/out that the DEQ2496 has, as opposed to any of its brother and sister devices. Even if most of this is just peace of mind.
It's more than just peace of mind. Using the DEQ2496 like that in pure digital mode bypasses its AD and DA converters and is sonically transparent. Another nice feature is that it auto-detects and operates at the input sample rate, so there is no conversion either.

PS: when using parametric EQ, if you're boosting any freqs, make sure to apply an overall gain reduction to avoid clipping. That's done on a different menu.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
PS: when using parametric EQ, if you're boosting any freqs, make sure to apply an overall gain reduction to avoid clipping. That's done on a different menu.
Yep got that one. In the Utility menu. The REW EQ Filters window also nicely shows how much to apply.

Thanks for the headsup anyway! It's an easily and often overlooked aspect. Wouldn't have been the first to complain about SQ after missing it.

Gibsonian

I used this for awhile and keep it now only for the pink noise and analyzer function for my speaker building. Probably never sell it. All that functionality but sounds bad. No matter what, always sounds better out of system than in it. A shame.

MRC01

Major Contributor
... All that functionality but sounds bad. No matter what, always sounds better out of system than in it. A shame.
Are you using it in pure digital mode? It should be transparent, and measures as such.
If you're using the analog inputs or outputs, then you're using its DA or AD converters, which are not transparent.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you using it in pure digital mode? It should be transparent, and measures as such.
If you're using the analog inputs or outputs, then you're using its DA or AD converters, which are not transparent.
Really? With those measurements why would they not be?
They may not be SOTA, but quite good enough for transparency.

S.

Gibsonian

In digital out I could always detect it in. Mine is at least 10 years old, so maybe older revs were worse? Dunno but eventually I gave up using it for music listening. And it is something I loved for it's features, just not the sound.

In analog out, no way. I tried their DCX2496 and could not use it either. Analog out was not good, found several all analog units that would easily best the DCX2496.

I have an RME ADI-2 Dac now that has any digital eq I need and I do find it transparent when I use them.

tomeh

I have used several of these throughout the years and for many years there wasn't really anything comparable. Ditto the DcX2496 active crossover.
It is/was an incredible value and look at when it was made, most electronics from the same era are long gone. Are you still running that Pentium III computer at 1.26Ghz with Windows XP?

I kept waiting for them bring out another generation while running Newform Research Triple Linsesource speakers in a cardioid format. A fantastic system with 4 subs.
Nada, never happened. Behringer is asleep.

Then Bruno Putzey came along with Kii Three's.
All the electronics jumped ahead 15 years, the amps jumped ahead 15 years, the ADC and DAC and DSP jumped ahead 15 years with the best programmer hired for the DSP section.
And I got rid of 4RU of Electronic equipment, 2 multichannel amps and a Professional audio interface that was dedicated to tie it all together.

If you add up the total cost of all that equipment it really isn't far off the price of the Kii Three's and a huge step forward.

Andysu

Major Contributor
i need do some extra testing on DCX 2496 i have they are cheap used decent dsp crossover management system i think i have x 4 of them . are very decent for common matched JBL professional cinema LCR with one unit and second unit for Lc Re and ( SWE / LFE.1 ) would be same for left/right half surrounds arrays and centre middle surround and ( modified overhead surrounds ) and below surrounds .

con issue they get rather hot !
con lcd display has to be adjusted each one never same contrast
con hiss input channel C to output channel 5 6 ?

makes me wonder what engineers at behringer test gear have ? the hiss shouldn't be there pa gear or not should not be there , can be solved at silly modified overpriced not even willing to pay the issue should never exist .

con not enough Ram i guess when using all the PEQ on ABC inputs to outputs to dynamic EQ and crossover slopes , free space % gets used up very fast and 9 PEQ should be updated for at least 120 bands per ABC input and for each outputs 1 2 3 4 5 6 . 9 isn't enough to tackle with . even 120 will be just barely but it needs updating and made into a mark III version model with bit higher U frame to handle at least basic 8 inputs with 16 outputs at the same selling price as the DCX 2496 so dbx will have serious competition . and no hiss at all . with a better larger lcd display . auto eq for the lazy and manual eq for the dedicated serious user with JBL speakers :p . manual eq rules . auto eq is for lazy .

lcd display would have to go way , way past QC testing so it doesn't mess up .
heat levels inside to be kept down even thou electronics its hard and are often the enemy of all electronics it must be kept lower than the DCX2496 while units are rack mounted together .

oh yes i think a better EQ memory ( EQm ) way , way sort of like larger than the universe .
1st EQm the speakers up close with mic on each bass HF horn . that then goes in the memory .
2nd EQm for behind projection screen where mic placed close to bass HF horns tested EQ goes in the memory .
3rd EQm mic placed near seating for final EQ then goes in the memory .

4th EQm will have date memory that can be stored on the ( DCXPlus8/16Extra 2496 ) :p or on memory sticks as there are around i think 5 billion movies worldwide since dawn of motion pictures early 20th century even thou really started late 19th century not many know this .
4th EQm to be used for adjust movies that are toppy sounding and that also can then for each movie to be adjusted for the true JBL professional reproduction with actual THX can be adjusted for the room size with theatrical mixes without ever the need for near field rubbish mixes ever again .

better audio limiters that do not make clipping popping crackling noises when threshold is adjusted smooth audio limiting for all independent channel outputs .

improved time delay that doesn't make clicking or timing out issues when adjusting time delay get sound drop outs or muted sound for briefly when switching the time delay .
better phase adjustment in 1 steps rather than 5 steps at time .

get george lucas to lick THX stamp and slap it on the front as it looks cool . :p

higher speed so it even passes by Amir with the highest sinad rating without need for headless panther :p or me throwing in the cat litter box :p
also PEQ filters to extend down to 0Hz as with crossover frequency range down to 0Hz ,

no need for it to go above 20KHz unless your entertaining your dog , cat and pet bat . :p

auto heat sense control with device attached so can auto adjust for speed of sound .

as ex projectionist i'm just trying think what a new behringer management system should be doing to tackle it all

i think i have covered it what a new berhinger management system should be doing .

tomeh

i need do some extra testing on DCX 2496 i have they are cheap used decent dsp crossover management system i think i have x 4 of them . are very decent for common matched JBL professional cinema LCR with one unit and second unit for Lc Re and ( SWE / LFE.1 ) would be same for left/right half surrounds arrays and centre middle surround and ( modified overhead surrounds ) and below surrounds .

con issue they get rather hot !
con lcd display has to be adjusted each one never same contrast
con hiss input channel C to output channel 5 6 ?

makes me wonder what engineers at behringer test gear have ? the hiss shouldn't be there pa gear or not should not be there , can be solved at silly modified overpriced not even willing to pay the issue should never exist .

con not enough Ram i guess when using all the PEQ on ABC inputs to outputs to dynamic EQ and crossover slopes , free space % gets used up very fast and 9 PEQ should be updated for at least 120 bands per ABC input and for each outputs 1 2 3 4 5 6 . 9 isn't enough to tackle with . even 120 will be just barely but it needs updating and made into a mark III version model with bit higher U frame to handle at least basic 8 inputs with 16 outputs at the same selling price as the DCX 2496 so dbx will have serious competition . and no hiss at all . with a better larger lcd display . auto eq for the lazy and manual eq for the dedicated serious user with JBL speakers :p . manual eq rules . auto eq is for lazy .

lcd display would have to go way , way past QC testing so it doesn't mess up .
heat levels inside to be kept down even thou electronics its hard and are often the enemy of all electronics it must be kept lower than the DCX2496 while units are rack mounted together .

oh yes i think a better EQ memory ( EQm ) way , way sort of like larger than the universe .
1st EQm the speakers up close with mic on each bass HF horn . that then goes in the memory .
2nd EQm for behind projection screen where mic placed close to bass HF horns tested EQ goes in the memory .
3rd EQm mic placed near seating for final EQ then goes in the memory .

4th EQm will have date memory that can be stored on the ( DCXPlus8/16Extra 2496 ) :p or on memory sticks as there are around i think 5 billion movies worldwide since dawn of motion pictures early 20th century even thou really started late 19th century not many know this .
4th EQm to be used for adjust movies that are toppy sounding and that also can then for each movie to be adjusted for the true JBL professional reproduction with actual THX can be adjusted for the room size with theatrical mixes without ever the need for near field rubbish mixes ever again .

better audio limiters that do not make clipping popping crackling noises when threshold is adjusted smooth audio limiting for all independent channel outputs .

improved time delay that doesn't make clicking or timing out issues when adjusting time delay get sound drop outs or muted sound for briefly when switching the time delay .
better phase adjustment in 1 steps rather than 5 steps at time .

get george lucas to lick THX stamp and slap it on the front as it looks cool . :p

higher speed so it even passes by Amir with the highest sinad rating without need for headless panther :p or me throwing in the cat litter box :p
also PEQ filters to extend down to 0Hz as with crossover frequency range down to 0Hz ,

no need for it to go above 20KHz unless your entertaining your dog , cat and pet bat . :p

auto heat sense control with device attached so can auto adjust for speed of sound .

as ex projectionist i'm just trying think what a new behringer management system should be doing to tackle it all

i think i have covered it what a new berhinger management system should be doing .
Yep, It should have been revision; A,B,C,D,E, ........

As I said "Nada, never happened. Behringer is asleep."

Andysu

Major Contributor
Yep, It should have been revision; A,B,C,D,E, ........

As I said "Nada, never happened. Behringer is asleep."
yes , yes of course A B C D E F G H
yes , yes behringer says
download.pngdownload (8).jpeg

Top Bottom