• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer DEQ2496 Ultracurve Pro DSP Review

Frank2

No, the dig xlr selection is displayed, but the sound continues to play from the optics. At this point, I wondered if the 2496 really has digital inputs independent of each other, or is it just different physical connectors, and there is only one virtual digital channel? Please conduct an experiment: physically disconnect the cord from the xlr input, physically connect the optics cord and select dig xlr from the input menu - you will be surprised, but the music will start playing despite the empty dig xlr connector
I use both digital inputs (optical and AES/EBU) with different sources and it works flawlessly. But you have to remember to not only turn the dial to select the input you desire, you have to subsequently push the dial knob as well to actually activate this input. From the photo you posted it seems you forgot this last step.

Decebel

I use both digital inputs (optical and AES/EBU) with different sources and it works flawlessly. But you have to remember to not only turn the dial to select the input you desire, you have to subsequently push the dial knob as well to actually activate this input. From the photo you posted it seems you forgot this last step.

As soon as possible, I will make a video about this stick and post it here, demonstrating it. Of course, I did the central press with the encoder, after which the input fill color changes color and the line is drawn in dig xlr. Maybe it's the software version? I'm currently 1.4b

Frank2

As soon as possible, I will make a video about this stick and post it here, demonstrating it. Of course, I did the central press with the encoder, after which the input fill color changes color and the line is drawn in dig xlr. Maybe it's the software version? I'm currently 1.4b
Mine is 2.5. I just tried switching to AES/EBU without any input signal there but with an optical input signal present and it switches over without any problem, indicating the clock is based on XLRIN and the sample rate is UNLOCKED.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Ah, there's the difference. I use analog XLR and digital toslink, and it switches between these properly. I have never tried the digital XLR input.

Decebel

I just tried switching to AES/EBU without any input signal there but with an optical input signal present and it switches over without any problem, indicating the clock is based on XLRIN and the sample rate is UNLOCKED.
I found a pattern: if you send a 44.1 or 48 kHz signal to the optical input, then when you select dig xlr in the input selection menu, we get the message "unlocked". But if, instead of 44.1 and 48, you send an 88.2 or 96 kHz signal to the optical input, then when you select dig xlr in the input selection menu, music starts playing, despite the physically empty dig xlr digital input. I'm attaching a YouTube link with a demo. Can you repeat the experiment with an 88.2 or 96 kHz optical input?

Last edited:

Scoox

That's exactly how I feel about the DEQ2496. I hadn't looked into miniDSP but thanks for the heads-up. My Genelec system uses AES/EBU straight out of my RME interface and I want to keep it that way. Since I need to delay the monitor's audio by about 15 ms (because the shakers lag behind), that means I need to route the raw audio into the miniDSP, delay it there, and then route it back to the interface and then to the AES/EBU outs. Ideally I'd like to do this without any AD/DA conversion, and the DEQ makes that possible since it has digital ins and outs, which the miniDSP 2x4 doesn't. The more expensive miniDSP Flex has digital inps and outs, so that might work. One thing I prefer about the DEQ is that it doesn't need a piece of software to work (every function is accessible from the hardware front panel). If the worst scenario is a blown capacitor I can fix that.
RME have recently added a Room EQ feature that basically does exactly what I was planning to use the DEQ for, so I won't need the DEQ anymore and I am cancelling my order. This is excellent news as it allows me to keep my setup minimal.

Top Bottom