• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bang & Olufsen Beolab 90

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Frantz Hi, yes I had the same B&O prejudice, I never once entertained the thought of a pair of Beolab 5's yet when I look at the design now, it obviously is worthy of merit.
I hadn't realised the wave guides were licensed from Grimaldi, or that they were using DRC back in 20002 all innovative stuff.
We had a chance to listen to the smaller actives the artillery shell shaped design the 19's and they sounded pretty good too, active, waveguide everything included, an elegant Meridian 'type' design.
The 90 I feel though is a completely different animal, B&O say that the technical design came first and there was no compromise ,the aesthetics had to fit around the technology.
My wife who thought them 'ghastly' actually liked them in the flesh!
The plan is to have the Kii's and then also be able to demonstrate the 90 as technically they have similar goals.
Keith.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Frantz Hi, yes I had the same B&O prejudice, I never once entertained the thought of a pair of Beolab 5's yet when I look at the design now, it obviously is worthy of merit.
I hadn't realised the wave guides were licensed from Grimaldi, or that they were using DRC back in 20002 all innovative stuff.
We had a chance to listen to the smaller actives the artillery shell shaped design the 19's and they sounded pretty good too, active, waveguide everything included, an elegant Meridian 'type' design.
The 90 I feel though is a completely different animal, B&O say that the technical design came first and there was no compromise ,the aesthetics had to fit around the technology.
My wife who thought them 'ghastly' actually liked them in the flesh!
The plan is to have the Kii's and then also be able to demonstrate the 90 as technically they have similar goals.
Keith.
you been time traveling again Keith? Do the beolab 90 double as a tardis?

Are you the new doctor who? Can I be your side kick?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am just so keen to add zeros to invoices!
Get a pair of 90's and I will split the margin with you!
BW Keith.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Every other speaker ( except the Kii Three) is like a dinosaur compared to these.
Hey, hey, hey! I am going to officially file a protest with the Audiophile Court in Hague!

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I only say these things to bait AJ !
Keith.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Every other speaker ( except the Kii Three) is like a dinosaur compared to these.
Keith.
Watch what you say. I happen to be a member of DADL, the Dinosaur Anti-Defamation League.

Seriously, Keith. I do not know and I have not heard these speakers, but they are intriguiging. Mostly, I really love what DSP EQ can do. DSP is a powerful concept still in its infancy, and it is potentially applicable to more than just room correction. But, I still have a conceptual problem with putting DSP in the speaker box itself unless the signal distribution to it is digital. Maybe, though I doubt it, the reality of analog signal distribution today is effectively just as good, but my mind has a problem with extra a-d, d-a. Is that the way these and the Kii 3 work?

In my fantasy future dream architecture, speakers would all be active and bi/tri/quad amped with internal class D amps and they would contain their own internal DSP for crossovers, room correction, and more, all driven from standardized, non-proprietary digital inputs, ideally, but not necessarily, wirelessly. It seems we are slowly drifting in that direction at the leading edge, Meridian comes to mind as a pioneer with their incomplete and proprietary architecture. But, all the pieces of the puzzle are still not all yet in place together.

Part of the problem is industry fragmentation into traditional, separate, smaller speaker, amp, DSP, DAC, etc. firms. Only a few span enough separate categories to even be able to consider making an attempt at the whole enchilada. B&O is one of the few.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
In my fantasy future dream architecture, speakers would all be active and bi/tri/quad amped with internal class D amps and they would contain their own internal DSP for crossovers, room correction, and more, all driven from standardized, non-proprietary digital inputs, ideally, but not necessarily, wirelessly. It seems we are slowly drifting in that direction at the leading edge, Meridian comes to mind as a pioneer with their incomplete and proprietary architecture.
Indeed. If I get a pair, would that warrant a visit?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am trying to get B&O UK to demonstrate them at at least one UK HiFi show, I truly believe it would be revelatory.
Keith.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
What's inside,

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Geoff Martin who studied at MacGill ,

Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thanks Chuck, and welcome to ASR, there was a thread a while back where they talked to the two Grimani partners and it was mentioned that B&O licensed their wave guide for the Beolab 5.
Keith.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Geoff Martin ar CES with the Beolab 90,

Keith

Top Bottom