• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BACCH4Mac Pro Edition - For those considering BACCH

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
What does Bacch recommend in regards to later arriving reflections? Can they be diffused or do they also recommend to absorb them?

I use large horn speakers with the combination of narrow and constant diretictivty low in frequency. Early arriving reflections are therfore low in level with little treatment. However, I have diffuse energy that starts arriving at around 15-16 ms as seen the ETCs below.

Left speaker:
Left ETC 15.07.23.jpg

Right speaker:
Right ETC 15.07.23.jpg

Blockader

Does the personalized HRTF matter if you are listening to speakers? I get that it is important for headphones.
BACCH turns speakers into binaural sound sources. The way BACCH establishes center channel is through making ILD = ITD. To make that as accurate as possible a HRTF compensation is needed.

kthulhutu

What does Bacch recommend in regards to later arriving reflections? Can they be diffused or do they also recommend to absorb them?

I use large horn speakers with the combination of narrow and constant diretictivty low in frequency. Early arriving reflections are therfore low in level with little treatment. However, I have diffuse energy that starts arriving at around 15-16 ms as seen the ETCs below.

Left speaker:
View attachment 299357

Right speaker:
View attachment 299358
Looks good. Choueri said that reflections after 15ms do not matter for XTC. I personally use quite a few diffusers in my listening room and get high levels of XTC.

Gwreck

I had a support call with Dr. Choueiri last evening and he would be willing to send Amir a turnkey system for review. I went Amir an email about this offer and I hope Amir gets the message as it would be interesting to hear his perspective on BACCH.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I had a support call with Dr. Choueiri last evening and he would be willing to send Amir a turnkey system for review. I went Amir an email about this offer and I hope Amir gets the message as it would be interesting to hear his perspective on BACCH.

Now that would be exciting. What "turnkey" system is he going to send? One of the BACCH processors, like the DIO or ADIO? And I'm not sure what Amir is going to review either, he wouldn't be measuring distortion for one, because BACCH works by changing the signal ...

Gwreck

Now that would be exciting. What "turnkey" system is he going to send? One of the BACCH processors, like the DIO or ADIO? And I'm not sure what Amir is going to review either, he wouldn't be measuring distortion for one, because BACCH works by changing the signal ...
It would be a Bacch4mac with associated hardware. The stand alone processor is very expensive and according to Dr. Choueiri there is only one unit they use for specific situations.

mieswall

Yes, and the Pro Edition is $6980 not including a configured Mac M1 Mini which is an additional $1489, not counting the Webcam for $80. So what does virtualized even mean? Does it mean your two channel stereo will sound like a full on Atmos system (which is the claim Smyth Research makes regarding its A16 Realiser Speaker Edition) assuming it's a Netflix Atmos movie? Would like a little clarification on that one, inasmuch as the tarrif is over $8500.
The audiophile edition is perfectly fine, you don’t need more (5k$; pro edition is for content creators).
Bayface pro fs can be used as a dac too (xlr to your amp, or use a xlr to rca cable). It sounds wonderful, i think slightly better than my Mytek Brooklyn, although it supoorts 192k “only”.

A $20 camera would be ok (I did just that). Regarding macs (two macs with one license in the same place are possible): Edgar installed me two running Bacchs: in a 2017 corei7 ($700?), and in a 11 years old mac mini server of 2012… with Catalina! ($250?, this one doesn’t support head tracking though).

Choueiri gives the best customer support i have ever experienced. He spent an amount of time configuring all this that i’m ashamed of even telling how long it was. All of that, from a true Princeton and nasa rocket scientist…and this was the second config he did, as the previous one weeks ago was with a wrong user id.

Then, after all of that, i played late at night Tangerine Dream’s Phaedra (that I thought I knew each second): the speakers (maggies 1.7i) seemed to be completely muted, sounds coming from all over my listening room at least in a 200 degrees arc. I’m completely stunned. This HAS to be heard to be believed. Months of amazing listening experiences will come from almost every record I love. This is priceless.

Gwreck

The audiophile edition is perfectly fine, you don’t need more (5k$; pro edition is for content creators).
Bayface pro fs can be used as a dac too (xlr to your amp, or use a xlr to rca cable). It sounds wonderful, i think slightly better than my Mytek Brooklyn, although it supoorts 192k “only”.

A $20 camera would be ok (I did just that). Regarding macs (two macs with one license in the same place are possible): Edgar installed me two running Bacchs: in a 2017 corei7 ($700?), and in a 11 years old mac mini server of 2012… with Catalina! ($250?, this one doesn’t support head tracking though).

Choueiri gives the best customer support i have ever experienced. He spent an amount of time configuring all this that i’m ashamed of even telling how long it was. All of that, from a true Princeton and nasa rocket scientist…and this was the second config he did, as the previous one weeks ago was with a wrong user id.

Then, after all of that, i played late at night Tangerine Dream’s Phaedra (that I thought I knew each second): the speakers (maggies 1.7i) seemed to be completely muted, sounds coming from all over my listening room at least in a 200 degrees arc. I’m completely stunned. This HAS to be heard to be believed. Months of amazing listening experiences will come from almost every record I love. This is priceless.
I’m really glad to hear about your experience. What db of crosstalk cancellation are you getting with the Maggie? I assume the CC must be fairly high as they are dipoles.

SonofJura

I hope I never hear the word BAACH ever again. If the best you can do is show us ham-fisted marketing, I'm thinking that the software development team is a C-.

If you have a product to sell, declare your affiliation to it like an adult. The breathless and needlessly long evangelical statements posted under the guise of "fellow traveller" cheapen whatever you're selling.
I have no affiliations to Theoretica. I am a customer and have to say that I too have gone on passionate posts elsewhere and I have contended with it in various ways. So I’m going to be as immature and flippant by taunting you!

BACCH! BACCH! BACCH! BACCH! BACCH!

Gwreck

I wonder if @grimaurfer
I have no affiliations to Theoretica. I am a customer and have to say that I too have gone on passionate posts elsewhere and I have contended with it in various ways. So I’m going to be as immature and flippant by taunting you!

BACCH! BACCH! BACCH! BACCH! BACCH!
I wonder if Grimsurfer is still so angry at BACCH nearly 4 years later? BACCH may be cross talk cancellation but is also effective for troll talk enhancement.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if @grimaurfer

I wonder if Grimsurfer is still so angry at BACCH nearly 4 years later? BACCH may be cross talk cancellation but is also effective for troll talk enhancement.
Unfortunately Grimsurfer is no longer with us.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately Grimsurfer is no longer with us.
I didn't even know he was sick.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
He wasn't a troll, he was just a really angry guy. That was a classic ASR thread, with great fights and quotable quotes like "You retarded miserable f***. You make me sick. As they say: don’t wrestle with a pig in the mud. You cannot win. I leaned my lessons. Enjoy your miserable life."

Gwreck

I’m anxiously awaiting ORC. On the BACCH website it now states “to be released by February 16, 2024.”

CarbonMakerU

Forum Donor
I'm glad this website actually shows you how to get the most out of the system within your budget. I think the real genius of this isn't the sound at all. It's that a guy has found a way not only to charge a hefty fee for the software, (a product not a service) but then turn it into a reoccurring revenue stream like an alarm contract...to listen to your stereo.

Last edited:

Gwreck

True "Audiophile" material like this is just way to good to lose. I might just re-post this myself on April 1st and claim it as my own........
Im not really understanding your comment could you please explain to what you are referring.

CarbonMakerU

Forum Donor
Im not really understanding your comment could you please explain to what you are referring.
Oh I edited that post not to confuse but will happily explain it. First this is a product, not a service and to keep charging for "upgrades" to fully listen to your stereo is to me questionable. I have a whole list of programs like Sound Source and operating systems I use that update for free as does my RME, that to me is value but admittedly non of them are magical as explained below.
I'm a "value" investor and it was easy for small companies to stay afloat under a zero interest environment. This company founded in 2014 has really only operated under that artificially low rate. Now they are disappearing daily and this is a reoccurring service charge to a uber micro-niche market focused company. I'm glad you obviously love and enjoy it as much as you do, and the company's founder had an exceptional pedigree, but there's little value here for me and a lot of risk, not just financially but the realization that this could easily be a low cost AI based app on the next generation of devices thereby making this an exorbitantly priced albatros.
And finally, reading the glowing reviews posted on the companies web site including terms like "outherworldly" sound and "audio hologram", well that just screams April 1st to me. I'll be hard passing on the "sonic fullness and immersion" as well as "being in a cross between a futuristic music presentation and a magic show." That kind of rigorous scientific analysis is just way above my pay grade. "The effect is like a Spooky hifi hologram" you cant make this sh!t up, but I'm not an "audiophile", just someone who likes listening to music. Wow, all this writing and now I realize I could have just said, read a couple of their feeling based nonsensical accolades for yourself to answer your question about my original post, sorry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom