• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

uBACCH for Window - First attempt.

STC

I am aware of previous uBACCH threads but would like start this one as I am have been following Choueiri’s development since he was part of Ambiophonics institute. I am very familiar with the implementation of crosstalk cancellation and therefor I hope this thread can help to identify some issues.

I installed the VST3 to Reaper DAW. This is the same method I use for my own XTC( no commercial interest and basically what’s already disclosed in the Ambiophonics website) , AMTRA, Miller and Horowitz’s AmbiophonicsDSP, Soundpimp and another two.
I am very familiar with the setting and my equipments are digital all the way to the speakers. All these DSP and methods including Aria3D worked for me.

The speakers used for this evolution were Sound Lab Electrostatics. Motu 8A DAC. And CrownXLS amp.

The uBACCH didn’t work with my system. Pink noise setup.

1) For the left side the value was at minimum.

2) For right it deviates significantly towards 1/3 of the slider. Both did not sound sharp or focused.

3) Testing with Edgar the Barber, I did not get next to the ear effect like I get from other XTC.

I don’t think it is BACCH problem but it could be the VST3 and Reaper. I gave up on JRiver ( after new updates) because it too acted weird with delays ( zoning) and it could not be resolved.

I hope if the developer @BACCH Labs is reading this he could share his settings or guidance so that I could try to implement this with my main speakers. My free two weeks trial started 8.49am today (1September 2023).

Thank you.
ST

Last edited:

organicsone

Hi ST,

Like you, I haven't been able to get uBACCH to do very much. Playing around with the pink noise didn't produce any noticeable changes in any aspect of the sound. Wondering if I should be doing anything differently because the speakers are the Linkwitz LXmini dipoles, attached to a differential ASP designed for them by Nelson Pass.
I also took a look at the miniDSP 2x4 approach after reading the piece on Archimago's Musings. At least with the balanced 2x4 I'd also have access to DIRAC...and all for about the same price I'd have to shell out for the uBACCH.
What's your thinking on the miniDSP+Ambiophonic plugin vs the uBACCH?

OP
S

STC

Hi @organicsone,

I used MiniAmbio of MiniDSP and worked well with my system with Harbeth speakers. MinisDSP stopped selling the Ambio but offered Ambiophonics plug-in to be used with MiniDSP but I think the plug-in would not work with the HD version.

You may want to look up for a French company offering XTC with room correction. I can recall the name now and will update you later.

I cannot comment about uBACCH since I couldn’t do the a proper listening with my system. I use my own reference recording using my HRTF where I know the exact position of the sound and use that that to see how accurate the MiniAmbio or any other XTC produces the correct position. For tonal accuracy, you need to the EQ.

organicsone

The miniDSP Development Team tells me ''This plugin only works for 2x4 and 2x4 balance.'' They'd said previously that the HD version was not compatible with the plugin, nor would they offer support on any of their other products, including the balanced SHD.
The only balanced version I can find on the 2X4 platform is the FLEX, which is TRS analog balanced. I've just asked for clarification to make sure that is the model they mean.

Yeah, it would be nice to investigate the offering from the French company.

THANX!

Top Bottom