• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ubacch plugin vs full bacch4mac audiophile system

Korppi12

Question is how much more better experience you can get with full audiophile software versus the ubacch plugin?

As i understand ubacch plugin is calculated based on single point speakers, possibly Genelec 8351. Somebody mentioned that they use 8351 at the their lab.

So if i have 8351 or better single point speakers, perfecly measured/aligned for bacch, will i get much more by buying bacch4mac audiophile?

I wouldnt really need head tracking/ headphone plugin

In my preliminary tests, ubacch plugin really gets better with narrow directivy speakers

Last edited:

Gwreck

Question is how much more better experience you can get with full audiophile software versus the ubacch plugin?

As i understand ubacch plugin is calculated based on single point speakers, possibly Genelec 8351. Somebody mentioned that they use 8351 at the their lab.

So if i have 8351 or better single point speakers, perfecly measured/aligned for bacch, will i get much more by buying bacch4mac audiophile?

I wouldnt really need head tracking/ headphone plugin

In my preliminary tests, ubacch plugin really gets better with narrow directivy speakers
I have the full version which includes the uBACCH of the basic version. My system is optimized for XTC with room treatments and narrow directivity speakers. With uBACCH I can get 95% as good XTC as the audiophile version. The head tracking is nice but not necessary for the full effect. On poorly optimized for XTC speakers I have uBACCH doesn’t do much. Room treatments are good for all systems. I would say room treatments plus uBACCH will be much more cost effective and get you most of the experience. Also with uBACCH there is zero fussing with camera placement or measurements. My BACCH system is in my basement family room so my camera never is in the seem place so every time is listen I have to remeasure. UBACCH doesn’t have this hassle so often I just use uBACCH and the effect is still very enveloping.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
What speakers are you using, Gwreck? My system has uBACCH, but has not been optimized for uBACCH yet. I am thinking of purchasing more room treatment to get rid of first reflections.

Nvk

Sanders 10e’s. They are the most narrow directivity speaker accord to the measurements.

If you don’t use Bacch and listen to relative dry (mostly studio) recordings, do you miss out on spaciousness?

The reason I’m asking I’m designing a horn and I’m trying to decide which coverage angle will be the best compromise between live recordings (full of spatial cue’s) and dry recordings.

Gwreck

If you don’t use Bacch and listen to relative dry (mostly studio) recordings, do you miss out on spaciousness?

The reason I’m asking I’m designing a horn and I’m trying to decide which coverage angle will be the best compromise between live recordings (full of spatial cue’s) and dry recordings.
The narrow directivity of the ESL’s actually has its own XTC and since there is little room interaction with mid and treble the natural space(or lack of it ) of the recording is very easy to hear. I’m not sure about horn speakers but I have figured out that controlled directivity speakers have the sound I like. Since there is less room interaction there is not added ambience from the room for good or bad.

StandardModel

Forum Donor
I've purchased just the Bacch software to run on a Mac. It came downloaded with no instructions (they have offered a "walkthrough"). I can't see exactly how and where the Mac is connected (input and output) to the rest of my system. I have a HiFi Rose RS 130 streamer connected to a U18 usb to I2S then to a Gustard r26 DAC. From there the Gustard DAC output goes to an Anthem AVM 70 8k then to 12 class D amplifiers for a 5-1-6 speaker layout.

I've since talked to Dr. Edgar Choueiri. The Bacch4Mac software running on a Mac Mini connects the corrected output via the Mini's USB to my Gustard DAC then from the DAC out to the preamplifier, amplifiers and speakers. This means the signal input must come from a program running on the Mac Mini. Dr. Choueiri says that you have to use something like Roon originating on the Mac mini. If I want to use my HiFi Rose RS 130 transport to run the initiating music program, I have to purchase the Babyface Pro FS and use either its USB or optical connection to bridge the HiFi Rose RS 130 music signal to the Mac Mini.

Last edited:
Top Bottom