• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

BACCH4Mac Pro Edition: a report

So far, the effect is pretty remarkable. Beyond the spatial influence, the overall sound becomes much more lush, perhaps it's the way that sound gets layered in space.

I also completely stop thinking about the sweet spot, it's just always in the right place.

I'm very impressed so far.
Thanks for sharing! Still waiting for the delivery of BACCH4Mac and great to know you are impressed apart from the bass issues

I would like to announce on this forum that Theoretica just released BACCH-dSP 8.0 (the application at the heart of the BACCH4Mac product) which has many new features and improvements. Among the improvements that are relevant to people on this forum is the new Bass Correction feature that fully restores the phase information to the low-frequency (LF) part of the audio signal after it goes through a BACCH filter. Previous versions of BACCH-dSP relied on minimum phase filters to handle the LF part of the crossover, which caused the deep bass (below 90 Hz) through the BACCH filter to sometimes have a different level than that when the filter is bypassed. This is no longer the case with the new Bass Correction feature, which provides a bit-perfect match between the LF component of the audio going through a BACCH bin and that going through the Bypass bin.

While the Mono Correction feature (first added in v 7.0) fixed most bass issues, the new Bass Correction feature of 8.0 completely fixes bass reproduction down to the lowest frequencies.

This Bass Correction feature will also be part of the next firmware upgrade for the BACCH-SP processor, which is planned for release in May.

Regards,
Buddy @ Theoretica

Is the 8.0 update accessible to SP hardware users, or only the 4mac units? Will I need to wait for the firmware update?

Thanks!

BACCH-dSP is the standalone Mac application at the heart of Theoretica's BACCH4Mac product. The BACCH-SP processor does not run BACCH-dSP. It runs completely different software but uses many of the same algorithms as those in BACCH-dSP. The new Bass Correction feature is presently available only in BACCH-dSP 8.0 but will soon be available in May through a planned firmware update for the BACCH-SP processor. In fact, the feature has already been coded and is presently being thoroughly tested on the BACCH-SP before the release of the firmware upgrade. All BACCH-SP owners will get notification (as usual) when the firmware upgrade is ready.
Regards,
Buddy

Thanks for the reply! I was not aware of how different the two software pieces were, between the SP and dsp units.

OP
Dialectic

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thread Starter #166
I would like to announce on this forum that Theoretica just released BACCH-dSP 8.0 (the application at the heart of the BACCH4Mac product) which has many new features and improvements. Among the improvements that are relevant to people on this forum is the new Bass Correction feature that fully restores the phase information to the low-frequency (LF) part of the audio signal after it goes through a BACCH filter. Previous versions of BACCH-dSP relied on minimum phase filters to handle the LF part of the crossover, which caused the deep bass (below 90 Hz) through the BACCH filter to sometimes have a different level than that when the filter is bypassed. This is no longer the case with the new Bass Correction feature, which provides a bit-perfect match between the LF component of the audio going through a BACCH bin and that going through the Bypass bin.

While the Mono Correction feature (first added in v 7.0) fixed most bass issues, the new Bass Correction feature of 8.0 completely fixes bass reproduction down to the lowest frequencies.

This Bass Correction feature will also be part of the next firmware upgrade for the BACCH-SP processor, which is planned for release in May.

Regards,
Buddy @ Theoretica
I look forward to installing and testing this weekend. Will post my thoughts here.

OP
Dialectic

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thread Starter #169
Checking in. Has anyone with the 4mac version played with the latest update?
I have a bit but have been busy with work and family obligations. It sounds superb, and the automatic sample rate syncing is a welcome addition.

Slightly off topic, did you get the latest 8c update? They pushed it to me today.

When I powered down my system, it reset some of my dsp settings. Fixed now.

chris_rod

Hello everyone!
Greetings from the Netherlands!
I became so enthusiastic to own and listen the bacch4mac after reading your reports and positive experiences with it.
I consider myself an entry level audiophile and I love watching movies too (almost as much as listening a good album, almost ;-)) now my question to all the owners of the bacch4mac is if you ever tried watching a film (a sci-fi film maybe where the surround effects are usually more pronounced)
with the audio purified by the bacch4mac; what was your experience?
I'm right now in the dilemma of either make my living room an Atmos home theater (that would mean buying an AVR + extra speakers) or only use my beloved KEF LS 50W with bacch4mac as the source of audio for music and films.
Also, how many sources of sound can be connected to the Babyface Pro? Ideally in my situation would be optical from my TV + USB/Coaxial/Optical from my Windows machine, that has all my music.
Kind regards and looking forward to read your experiences!!!

Cant help there - I use an AV receiver to decode atmos and other movie audio codecs. I don't know if a 2.0 stereo film track via BACCH would replicate the 3d sound-field that is delivered for music via BACCH. If it did, it would presumably only work for one listening position for now.

ccw

I have a bit but have been busy with work and family obligations. It sounds superb, and the automatic sample rate syncing is a welcome addition.
Playing through Roon, does the Bacch software limit the signal path to "high quality" rather than bit perfect lossless?

Last edited:
Playing through Roon, does the Bacch software limit the signal path to "high quality" rather than bit perfect lossless?
Roon only gives the rating “lossless” when it can hog the audio device exclusively, but that would prevent BACCH-dSP from doing its processing. Since Roon cannot vouch for what third-party processing does to the stream, the maximum rating it gives is “High Quality”.

The signal remains completely lossless from source to DAC as it goes through BACCH-dSP: If you bypass the BACCH filter in BACCH-dSP the signal sent by BACCH-dSP to the DAC is bit-to-bit the same as the one sent out from Roon. There is no compression of any kind at any point.

Buddy
@Theoretica

Hi Guys,

I have been using the BACCH system for awhile but one of the little that bugs me is the camera has to be placed somewhere about 2-3m from my seat which turns out to be in the middle of my room. The good news is that I managed to find a modification that works.

I found this web site about modifying a C920 to use c mount lens.

https://www.kurokesu.com/shop/KITC920

You can order the kit or the final product. The price is reasonable.

I received the modified c920 and the CCTV lens this week and I have just managed to set it up. For my room, about 6m from my seat to the front wall, I need to use the 25mm C mount lens which I bought here

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.73d62e8dF6upLg&id=594197970758&_u=dmc6apjed6d

There are many similar C mount lens that you can order on Ebay as well. It works extremely well. There are many lens option that suits different room. I did not replace the IR filter so the dark performance is a bit better. I will try complete darkness next and install this infrared illuminating light and hope the camera can see my face.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...eea4240hGtpLy&id=576072104053&_u=t2dmg8j26111

Will again report back later.

Hope this helps. Enjoy

Arthur

I am able to zoom my C920 - I sit about 4.5m away from the speakers. The BACCH4Mac program itself allows control of the webcam.
I am interested in the IR option - if you get this working, please do post a walk-through on how you set it up
Thanks

ccw

Last weekend I applied more aggressive DSP in my Dutch & Dutch 8Cs and then re-calibrated BACCH. These two steps seem to have resolved some of the bass issues that I was hearing in my system.

Low frequencies in my system, along with everything else, are now better with BACCH than without.
If you altered your DSP to your speakers to resolve bass issues you were hearing with Bacch would you not have a corresponding bass issue when outside Bacch's head tracking area? I guess not a problem if you're listening is done 100% in the Bacch space.

OP
Dialectic

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thread Starter #179
If you altered your DSP to your speakers to resolve bass issues you were hearing with Bacch would you not have a corresponding bass issue when outside Bacch's head tracking area? I guess not a problem if you're listening is done 100% in the Bacch space.
The bass issue was a specific problem in the middle of the soundfield. On some recordings, images in the center of the stereo soundfield (such as piano in a piano concerto) could sound tonally thin, as though the low frequencies in the center of the soundfield were rolled off. Over a year ago, an updated version of BACCH included an adjustable bass correction algorithm that fixes the problem. I found the default mode to sound tonally the most similar to what I hear without BACCH engaged.

Top Bottom