• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Confessions of a Music Listener

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have three ways of enjoying music. One is the traditional stereo setup where I spent the most money (Roon --> DAC + Amp + 2+1 speakers). Then I have an A/V setup in another room with a TV + Sonos Arc + Era 300 surrounds and a Sonus Sub where I can not only watch movies with Atmos soundtracks but also play Apple Music "Spacial Audio" or another name for Atmos sound. The third and least used is mobile (headphones, ear buds, car, etc). There is also the added benefit of adding a TV for video presentation of a full orchestra or a music video.

I had heard somewhere that Apple Music was downplaying hi res audio as they thought Atmos recordings were the future. I find myself inching in that direction also. I momentarily thought of replacing my KEF metas with a pair of ERA 300's and a sub. Such heresy as this creeps into my thoughts daily.

But, you can't unring the bell, and once I heard a beautiful Atmos recording, I was hooked.

Interesting conundrum.

fatoldgit

With the understanding that the KEF metas are in your main stereo system, I have this comment.

We have seen this movie before (excuse pun): SACD, DVD-Audio, Bluray audio)... all with the potential for hi-res multi-channel audio.

Now if you are a classical music lover then you would have access to lots of albums via SACD (not potentially multi-channel) but outside of that relative niche none of these format got traction... simply because there was no compelling content or the added "stuff" needed to experience it just made it a bridge to far.

Sure atmos might be a more compelling option than the above formats but my view is unless I could replace a significant part of my albums with those in the new, must have, fomo format then it just adds complexity.

Buggering around with my 2 channel CD quality optimized setup to playback a small handful of atmos albums aint worth it.

Peter

OP
Dennis_FL

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With the understanding that the KEF metas are in your main stereo system, I have this comment.

We have seen this movie before (excuse pun): SACD, DVD-Audio, Bluray audio)... all with the potential for hi-res multi-channel audio.

Now if you are a classical music lover then you would have access to lots of albums via SACD (not potentially multi-channel) but outside of that relative niche none of these format got traction... simply because there was no compelling content or the added "stuff" needed to experience it just made it a bridge to far.

Sure atmos might be a more compelling option than the above formats but my view is unless I could replace a significant part of my albums with those in the new, must have, fomo format then it just adds complexity.

Buggering around with my 2 channel CD quality optimized setup to playback a small handful of atmos albums aint worth it.

Peter

A few years back, I had a 7.2.2 Monitor Audio Gold setup with Atmos speakers on top of my fronts and it was a yawner. Sonos has hit a home run with the ERA 300's and Arc combo, albeit a little pricey and it is a night and day difference compared to my previous attempt. It is a room filling experience and I suspect Apple isn't counting on too many customers with a physical Atmos setup, but lots with capable headphones and earbuds for spacial audio on their phone.

And you a right...I have lots of classical SACDs --- I paid a guy to rip them to a hard drive and enjoy them on Roon, but I also have Qobuz which have the same titles in hi res FLAC and I really don't need the personal collection anymore.

I think my point is if Apple believes the Atmos effect is a better selling point than hi res, I tend to agree.

Top Bottom