• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage bookshelf speaker

Rosenild

Dear Audio Science Review.

I'm in the search of upgrading my B&W CDM1 speakers and I have received a lot of recommendations. I live in a lovely apartment in the city of Copenhagen and therefore, I'm looking for a great bookshelf speaker. I'm not completely unsympathetic on the idea of getting a larger speaker, but it has to make sense in terms of my living room.

I have a Sansui AU9500 amplifier (serviced and functioning very well). Furthermore I use the Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 which is fine for my turntable with Denon 103R cartridge.

I'm fan of vintage equipment. In that regard I have been recommended speakers by Snell, Audio Note and B&W N 805-series. I would be delighted if a person with the technical knowledge and/or the experience, could put some words on the speakers, their differences and what you may recommend. I usually listen to jazz and classical music. I appreciate to enjoy the crystal clear notes of a piano solo, the details in the drummers touch and of course the warmth and depth of an acoustic double bass.

This weekend I will be listening to two sets of B&W speakers, the N 805 and the N 805S. I have heard a few Audio Note speakers but a lot of them also goes up the price range. I'm thinking around 1500$ USD is a fair budget.

Thank you for your time and considerations.

D

Deleted member 48726

Have you considered getting a pair of Jamo Concert 8's ? Exceptional value for money.

1701703435288.png

1701703482257.png

OP
R

Rosenild

Thanks for your reply.

I have not. The reason why I focus on B&W, AN and Snell is due to two reasons. Firstly I know that AN is well respected within the audio community and the owner is danish. He recommends Snell and found the Type A model to be outstanding. Therefore I have made a bit of research on those as well. B&W has been recommended by a friend of mine and the deal is, that a lot of old B&W models are being sold on the used market here in Denmark, as they have been extremely popular back in the day. Therefore you can get quite a lot of good deals on that brand specifically.

Top Bottom