• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Left In Speaker Design To Reduce Distortion/Increase Detail Retrieval?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
There are several great videos on YouTube that have Laurence Dickie describing the technology.
Your posts, links and Signature leading to multiple advertising commercials are all completely out of line with our mission here. You were provided with our Rules and Guidelines when you registered as a Vendor. You have been issued a Warning for failure to comply and you have been given a one week suspension that will give you the time needed to read and fully bring your account and signature line into full compliance. Upon your return from the one week suspension, if you continue to violate our policy with regard to minimal commercial promotion activities. You forum privileges will be permanently suspended.

Videos like the one above is an example of crossing the line and transforming your membership to benefit your business interests and not engaging with our members in good faith.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Last edited:

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had a listening experience today that put me in mind of this thread. "How much do you get with some of the newer approaches to speaker design?"

My Brother-In-Law (BIL) is in town. He's sort of an old-school Stereo Review/ASR oriented audiophile, not in to "woo-woo" stuff at all, more oriented towards studio level design, and interested more in advancements like active speakers. Though where he lives, he doesn't get to hear much of what he can read about. Today I brought him to a very accommodating local high end store (where I bought my Joseph speakers) who carries the Kii Audio 3 speakers which my BIL wanted to hear. It was a great time.
(BTW, he previously listened to my system and I brought him to my reviewer pal's place where he heard $65K Estelons).

I was able to listen to some Spendor classic (though new) 1/2s, which I'd really wanted to hear. I also heard some large floor standing speakers from Triangle (french). But we spent by far most of the time listening to a wide selection of music on the Kii 3 speakers (without the bass module). (A lot of prog rock too, since he loves that genre).

To compare first what I heard from the Spendors: The Spendors struck me with that wonderful rich but clear tone that I enjoy from the classic Spendor sound (though in this case a bit more neutral and forward than some older modes). The general sound of voices and timbre of instruments were very natural - there was a combination of density and body that gave voices a sense of in-room solidity, yet without edge, sounding appropriately human and soft. A very tricky balance IMO. Highs were open and airy, giving a sense of "happening live, not canned sounding." Eyes closed there was a good sense of hearing *something like* the gestalt of live voices and instruments. To my brain the timbre of the sound was generally "correct" to the impression I carry around in my head of live acoustic sources, but there was still some sense of homogenization to everything, a slightly softened presentation, a slight lack of purity and clarity. I found listening very compelling, but ultimately would be happier with some other speakers that
sound 'right' to my ear, but sound less homogenized.

The Kii Audio 3: I've heard them numerous times now and today just re-enforced previous impressions. They sound generally clean, mostly "invisible" as sound sources, yet unlike some speakers that "disappear" they don't sound wispy, the Kii Audio 3s have meat on the bones, with a very even balance from bottom to top. Where some speakers you might get more of the top end skin hits of a bongo (on some of my reference tracks) the Kii Audio 3s gave that detail too, but also the weight of the hits on the bongos as well. Midrange was satisfyingly complete, no sense of suck outs emphasizing one thing or another, so everything sounded balanced, and yet variations in recordings/vocals sounded obvious too. A monitor sound without being punishing. And of course they did that wonderful trick with such deep, controlled bass from a relatively small speaker.
I could hear more control, more tonal individuation between bass instruments, vs the same tracks on the two other speakers I listened to in the store.

And my Brother In Law? He was very impressed. He's not big on describing sound, but essentially he thought the Kii 3s were terrific and really just the type of gear and sound he would be looking for, if he's to purchase another speaker (he currently owns Sonus Faber speakers he bought ages ago). Of all the systems he has heard so far on his trip hear, I had the impression the Kii 3s would hit his bulls-eye the best.

Ok what did I find the Kii 3s, the more "advanced" active-based speakers brought to the table?

Well....I heard nothing at all paradigm changing. I've heard plenty of other audiophile passive speakers that impressed me a lot more, and that rendered a number of those tracks with more "you are there" scale, clarity, timbral realism etc (to my ears). For instance my old Thiel 3.7s dug out plenty of nuance and timbral precision, dynamics, clarity, imaging etc as well. I wasn't hearing anything "wow" at all or especially "advanced" from the Kii 3s. More subjectively, while the Kii clearly had some advantages in frequency range, clarity and precision, nothing sounded quite as natural (eyes closed test) to me as some of the stuff I heard on the old Spendor design. And frankly, after listening to the Kii speakers for a while I wanted to run home and hug my system. I find the sound soooo much more beautiful and beguiling at home. Not a fair apples to apples comparison, but the general character of the Kiis didn't want to make me keep listening.

So, on an ultra subjective level...purely based on "what I prefer" while I could hear the Kii speakers do some excellent things, they left me cold. On a subjective-trying-to-be-more-objective level, just in terms of "judging the overall sound quality" they sound "different" than many good passives but much "better?" Eh.

It sort of reminds me of the Single Ended amplifier blind test thread on this site, where a tube design with some of the most wretched measurements and poor SINAD is put up against a properly measuring design. The difference turned out to be subtle, some people even struggling to hear a difference. In the same vein, while clearly speaker design IS making advancements, in the end perhaps the latest designs won't always necessarily result in large sonic differences vs competing (or older) designs. A bit of us audiophiles making mountains out of sonic molehills...which is what we do, as enthusiasts.

I don't think that means of course nobody can find some new speaker design obviously much more to their liking, and be very enthusiastic about some of the problems they are solving. Even in the Big Picture, relatively small differences can seem really big to us when we care about them.

And of course the above is just a personal encounter with a few speakers. Nothing about it entails the question I posed is moot. It's interesting to ponder what aspects can still be improved, sonically, (even if taste is left to the listener) in modern speaker design.

That's my take today, FWIW.

When I've read about posts on active speakers on hifi boards your description of the Kii remind me what these audiophiles say about speakers like Genelec (my impression of The Ones wasn't so great either). My impressions of Kii were positive but I wasn't hauling butt breaking the speed limit to get my laptop to do a wire transfer. I can't really say in words what it was about them that left me a bit hesitant. I actually do need speakers like this in the living rooms I want music in as they're shared spaces, but even with those acoustic constraints I couldn't bring myself to buy them yet. Maybe I haven't heard the right demo.

So far the only speakers I've heard that have made me think "I must have them" was a constant directivity K402 horn based system that matched pretty much all the qualities of my Quad ESL57/Atma-Sphere setup in making my classical recordings sound real, with the loudness limitation. When I heard that constant directivity horn system I was literally dreaming up plans for a dedicated listening room, dimensions, etc in our next house. I could not believe the sound.

I don't know what it is about the Kii and maybe I'll get in trouble for guessing- the switching amps? On AVS forum the Salon 2 came out on top in a blind test vs the M2, another that would have been run with presumably Crown amps which I've only ever associated with PA use.

I recall one of your posts saying KEF Blade had the most realistic reproduction of piano you heard, so these are going to the top of my must hear list since solo classical piano comprises about a good 40% of what I listen to.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I've read about posts on active speakers on hifi boards your description of the Kii remind me what these audiophiles say about speakers like Genelec (my impression of The Ones wasn't so great either). My impressions of Kii were positive but I wasn't hauling butt breaking the speed limit to get my laptop to do a wire transfer. I can't really say in words what it was about them that left me a bit hesitant. I actually do need speakers like this in the living rooms I want music in as they're shared spaces, but even with those acoustic constraints I couldn't bring myself to buy them yet. Maybe I haven't heard the right demo.

Interesting. Even my BIL sort of cooled off on the Kii speakers, ultimately felt they were lacking somewhat compared to some other speakers he'd heard.

I can't get excited about them either.

I recall one of your posts saying KEF Blade had the most realistic reproduction of piano you heard, so these are going to the top of my must hear list since solo classical piano comprises about a good 40% of what I listen to.

Keep in mind I literally only heard the blades once, a long time ago briefly at a show, playing one piano piece. It sure was impressive, but I have no experience with them over a range of recordings. But, they measure great and are well regarded, so I'd think certainly worth a listen.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

So far the only speakers I've heard that have made me think "I must have them" was a constant directivity K402 horn based system that matched pretty much all the qualities of my Quad ESL57/Atma-Sphere setup in making my classical recordings sound real, with the loudness limitation. When I heard that constant directivity horn system I was literally dreaming up plans for a dedicated listening room, dimensions, etc in our next house. I could not believe the sound.

I don't know what it is about the Kii and maybe I'll get in trouble for guessing- the switching amps? On AVS forum the Salon 2 came out on top in a blind test vs the M2, another that would have been run with presumably Crown amps which I've only ever associated with PA use.

In my experience if the customer has been listening to a coloured speaker for a number of years then a transparent loudspeaker will sound slightly different,
listeners tend to believe that what they have is ‘ correct’ especially when as a hobbyist they have literally spent years ‘optimising’ it even when it isn’t.
Keith

Axo1989

Major Contributor
In my experience if the customer has been listening to a coloured speaker for a number of years then a transparent loudspeaker will sound slightly different, listeners tend to believe that what they have is ‘ correct’ especially when as a hobbyist they have literally spent years ‘optimising’ it even when it isn’t.

I reckon it's good to keep this in mind when investigating/auditioning loudspeakers. If you are spending top-of-the-range Genelec money (whether on Genelecs or something else) it's surely worth taking the time to listen until one's habitual preferences can be re-set sufficiently to judge the new sound more comprehensively.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A cardioid Genelec
That's the final frontier ;)
They have such already in the form of the W371 and 8381a which control directivity down to the bass region, but unfortunately not at a low price.

BR52

In my experience if the customer has been listening to a coloured speaker for a number of years then a transparent loudspeaker will sound slightly different,
listeners tend to believe that what they have is ‘ correct’ especially when as a hobbyist they have literally spent years ‘optimising’ it even when it isn’t.
Keith
Hearing and seeing is very adaptive, it seems „absolute „ can be relative if a human brain is in the game.

valerianf

In December 2007 Soundstage reviewed the Cerwin-Vega CLS-215 .
Here is the measurement remark "aka: where is the distorsion on the graph?":
Our standard is to provide the THD+N measurement at 90dB with a measuring distance of 2 meters (within the anechoic chamber). Since this speaker produced very low distortion levels under those conditions, we have added a second measurement performed at 95dB to give an indication of performance under higher-output conditions. In addition, we have also provide an additional Deviation from Linearity measurement at 100dB based on the good performance at 95dB.
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/cerwin_vega_cls-215/
Large speaker enclosure with well designed and efficient drivers is the key to low distortion.
Crossover design and BR port configuration are also important about detail retrieval.
It is funny to note that in 2007 CV was not using any fancy materials for the membrane of the drivers.
Only good engineering is needed.

2uqv.jpg

Reactions: MAB

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
They have such already in the form of the W371 and 8381a which control directivity down to the bass region, but unfortunately not at a low price.
Yes
I guess what I meant was a cardioid Ones within a price that's obtainable for us regular people ;)

hvbias

Keep in mind I literally only heard the blades once, a long time ago briefly at a show, playing one piano piece. It sure was impressive, but I have no experience with them over a range of recordings. But, they measure great and are well regarded, so I'd think certainly worth a listen.

Multitude of things make me want to hear them including reading two reviewers compare them to sounding very similar to the Quad ESL57, probably about the best measuring speakers that exist, point source, and aesthetically suit our tastes. And at least from messaging people that have heard Blade 2 Meta and large Genelec The Ones all of them said the Blades sound like large full range speakers with regard to scale and not like mini monitors.

Kii without BXT were above average scale wise when compared against speakers their size I've heard. Genelec The Ones other than having very even tonality sounded their size.

It's interesting, I saw one of my favorite pianists, Sergei Babayan, from the third row. The sound most sounded like those massive K402 constant directivity horns in the sheer "presence" that you could both hear and feel with realism. My old thread on them on ASR: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...402-another-controlled-directivity-horn.1120/ . Even six years later I can't get the sound of that system out of my mind. But I don't have the space for them in this house.

So to bring it back around to the topic of this thread, I do think there is something more than what we know about in trying to reproduce difficult music like solo keyboard or full scale orchestral music.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I reckon it's good to keep this in mind when investigating/auditioning loudspeakers. If you are spending top-of-the-range Genelec money (whether on Genelecs or something else) it's surely worth taking the time to listen until one's habitual preferences can be re-set sufficiently to judge the new sound more comprehensively.

I agree it is good to keep in mind. Clearly habituation is possible, and happens often enough. I think a lot of the claims of speaker "break in" are due to habituation.

I've got my system dialed in to meet my preferences, so naturally it's one of my references for when I'm hearing other systems. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy a system that sounds unlike mine - I certainly have. And sometimes I enjoy another system precisely because it doesn't sound exactly like my system; because it has some attributes I wish my system had.

But if a system has some of the essential qualities I hear in mine, then of course I'm more likely to enjoy it. As to the arrow of bias, there's a chicken and the egg question: is it simply because I own my system that I'm biased towards it's sonic character? Or did I select this system because it has the type of sonic character I like? Seems to me the latter is the main driver: I have chosen my components based on my general preferences for sound quality, and that general preference will guide how I winnow through audio gear.

As to habituation, I know some people who can habituate pretty well to speakers that didn't grab them immediately.

However, in my personal experience I've never truly habituated in the following sense:

1. I've never heard a speaker seem to change it's character with "habituation" over time. Every speaker I've heard, whether at a showroom first, an audiophile's house, or my own house, has sounded essentially "like that speaker" every time I've listened.

2. My preferences have never habituated over time. If I don't care for the character of a speaker, or it just doesn't "grab me," that doesn't change over time. I've had speakers that I just couldn't get in to at my house for many months, and that never changed. I've heard certain speakers many, many times, same thing. I have reviewer friends still and I get to hear whatever speaker they have in over and over for many months. My initial impression, and preference, never changes. If I noted on first blush it had a character that kept me engaged, that stayed. If it didn't, I never warmed up to the speaker.

So...at least when it comes to my own decisions, in terms of factoring in habituation I'd have to ask myself: How much time should one afford to habituation, in order to write off a speaker? For instance, I've heard the Kii Audio 3 speakers numerous times for extended listening session (hour to hours) with tracks I know and love. For me to really want a speaker it at least has to make me want to keep my butt in the chair for music I love. That speaker didn't. So does it make sense to say "no, you really have to LIVE with a speaker before you know if you like it or not." That would seem impractical, and a big roll of the dice to say the least, at least for me. "I don't really like the sound, but..maybe if I buy it I'll like it over time." No thanks. I'll buy the speakers that immediately grab me, and never fail to grab me every additional time I listen. That's always been the safest bet.

One's mileage may vary, of course.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. I seem to habituate very quickly. I’ll make an EQ or Change to a mix and go, wow that’s a huge difference. 30 seconds later I can’t even tell there’s a difference.

Every time I listen to the Elam speaker in my garage, I start by thinking it sounds thin, lacking bass and presence in the low mids. By the end of the first song it sounds fine.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I agree it is good to keep in mind. Clearly habituation is possible, and happens often enough. I think a lot of the claims of speaker "break in" are due to habituation.

I've got my system dialed in to meet my preferences, so naturally it's one of my references for when I'm hearing other systems. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy a system that sounds unlike mine - I certainly have. And sometimes I enjoy another system precisely because it doesn't sound exactly like my system; because it has some attributes I wish my system had.

But if a system has some of the essential qualities I hear in mine, then of course I'm more likely to enjoy it. As to the arrow of bias, there's a chicken and the egg question: is it simply because I own my system that I'm biased towards it's sonic character? Or did I select this system because it has the type of sonic character I like? Seems to me the latter is the main driver: I have chosen my components based on my general preferences for sound quality, and that general preference will guide how I winnow through audio gear.

I suppose I've approached audio gear acquisition similarly myself. Lately I've been trying to resolve the specifics of why certain material sounds really good on my system at home (playing Alva Noto and Ryuichi Sakamoto the day after hearing them perform at Sydney Opera House concert hall) and some my system doesn't quite deliver (playing one of my test albums BMTH's Suicide Season after listening to same at length and at realistic concert level on Focal Grande Utopia, but which don't do the Noto+Sakamoto thing equally well). A solution that doesn't involve two systems and/or the cost of a major home renovation is preferable.

As to habituation, I know some people who can habituate pretty well to speakers that didn't grab them immediately.

However, in my personal experience I've never truly habituated in the following sense:

1. I've never heard a speaker seem to change it's character with "habituation" over time. Every speaker I've heard, whether at a showroom first, an audiophile's house, or my own house, has sounded essentially "like that speaker" every time I've listened.

2. My preferences have never habituated over time. If I don't care for the character of a speaker, or it just doesn't "grab me," that doesn't change over time. I've had speakers that I just couldn't get in to at my house for many months, and that never changed. I've heard certain speakers many, many times, same thing. I have reviewer friends still and I get to hear whatever speaker they have in over and over for many months. My initial impression, and preference, never changes. If I noted on first blush it had a character that kept me engaged, that stayed. If it didn't, I never warmed up to the speaker.

So...at least when it comes to my own decisions, in terms of factoring in habituation I'd have to ask myself: How much time should one afford to habituation, in order to write off a speaker? For instance, I've heard the Kii Audio 3 speakers numerous times for extended listening session (hour to hours) with tracks I know and love. For me to really want a speaker it at least has to make me want to keep my butt in the chair for music I love. That speaker didn't. So does it make sense to say "no, you really have to LIVE with a speaker before you know if you like it or not." That would seem impractical, and a big roll of the dice to say the least, at least for me. "I don't really like the sound, but..maybe if I buy it I'll like it over time." No thanks. I'll buy the speakers that immediately grab me, and never fail to grab me every additional time I listen. That's always been the safest bet.

One's mileage may vary, of course.

I haven't listened to nearly enough speakers (compared to your experience) to make the same conclusion for myself. I can say that when I toggle Sonarworks full-range EQ on and off on my system, while 'on' sounds better (across the spectrum) it still sounds like my speakers, not a total transformation. Or still evinces the sonic qualities that I liked about them enough to buy them. Not a conclusive test of course, I can obviously still see my speakers, so my visual assessment also tells me they are the same. Doing the same thing multi-speaker may be interesting.

Last edited:
OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose I've approached audio gear acquisition similarly myself. Lately I've been trying to resolve the specifics of why certain material sounds really good on my system at home (playing Alva Noto and Ryuichi Sakamoto the day after hearing them perform at Sydney Opera House concert hall) and some my system doesn't quite deliver (playing one of my test albums BMTH's Suicide Season after listening to same at length and at realistic concert level on Focal Grande Utopia, but which don't do the Noto+Sakamoto thing equally well). A solution that doesn't involve two systems and/or the cost of a major home renovation is preferable.

Wow, I can imagine the Focal Grand Utopia would be impressive on lots of music. (And yet you still own one of my "bucket list" speakers I always wanted to hear).

I know the dilemma! That's why I have owned multiple speakers over the years.

Sometimes having a choice is the best, though I can find taking away choice can be helpful. For instance right now I have a way of switching between subtly different sonic presentations - nothing as dramatic as perhaps you are imagining for your system (or your Sonarworks toggling). I'm talking about being able to switch between my CJ tube preamp and benchmark preamp. Since I'm running the CJ through the benchmark, it's so easy with the click of a button to switch between them even while playing music. That's been fun. But I think I may instead run the CJ directly in to my amps, and if I want to use the Benchmark, swap interconnects to the amp. That way it will make it less tempting to fiddle with things.

Since you own the Audio Physic I can imagine that you wouldn't want to give up the level of imaging/soundstaging you've been living with. I've been spoiled and at one time I tried a speaker that sounded wonderful in many ways, but just didn't do the total "disappearing" trick with the depth and image precision I love...so it bot the boot.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Wow, I can imagine the Focal Grand Utopia would be impressive on lots of music. (And yet you still own one of my "bucket list" speakers I always wanted to hear).

I dream of course, but the dealer/guy I bought my first Krell amp from indulges me (and presumably enjoys an excuse to crank them way up) so I've spent a few hours each with several generations of that speaker over a few years. To make my fantasies more tangible, they've had two second-hand pairs in recently, although checking now I see one pair has sold.

Edit: at a different level, I do see a pair of Theil CS3.6 there for AUD$2K. :)

I know the dilemma! That's why I have owned multiple speakers over the years.

Sometimes having a choice is the best, though I can find taking away choice can be helpful. For instance right now I have a way of switching between subtly different sonic presentations - nothing as dramatic as perhaps you are imagining for your system (or your Sonarworks toggling). I'm talking about being able to switch between my CJ tube preamp and benchmark preamp. Since I'm running the CJ through the benchmark, it's so easy with the click of a button to switch between them even while playing music. That's been fun. But I think I may instead run the CJ directly in to my amps, and if I want to use the Benchmark, swap interconnects to the amp. That way it will make it less tempting to fiddle with things.

Since you own the Audio Physic I can imagine that you wouldn't want to give up the level of imaging/soundstaging you've been living with. I've been spoiled and at one time I tried a speaker that sounded wonderful in many ways, but just didn't do the total "disappearing" trick with the depth and image precision I love...so it bot the boot.

Yes, for sure. Different room of course but I think I actually prefer my Codex to those Focals for electronic music generally and for certain other music selections, likely for those reasons. But they don't do the sub-bass, slam and very high levels nearly as well, which is entirely unsurprising.

And for semantics fans, while the Codex are merely expensive speakers, the Utopias are extremely expensive. :)

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@MattHooper:
Would you consider -- in some ways -- the newly-minted SourcePoint10s to qualify as a good design example in the right direction?
Re(TopicTitle): What's Left In Speaker Design To Reduce Distortion/Increase Detail Retrieval?
Especially considering their price-point.:)

Top Bottom