• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here is a quick feel for the AXPONA 2016. Will post all the pictures and room impressions later.

This is my first time at AXPONA. There is a lot I like about it:

1. About a mile or two from the airport. Bad for food. Great for reducing the aggravation to get here.

2. If you have read my previous posts on shows like RMAF, you know that audiophiles as a group tend to not take showers and small horrible. Not here. Whether it is because the weather is not too hot (beautiful sunny 60 degrees), or the right sort of people coming here, there is not a foul smell anywhere.

3. Hotel suites are cool with very quiet AC. None of the roaring sound at other shows where they either bother you with that noise, or turn it off to suffocate you with here. At AXPONA, almost every room was comfortable to sit in although a bit too hot if I wore my jacket.

4. I put that as a plus but it is a consumer show, not dealer. They openly sell gear here unlike CES and everyone is focused on end users.

Not so good and rather strange for a show is not giving you any badges. Just a rubber band to wear which no one checks. I tend to want to make a lot of connections with engineers and company reps which in the other shows I did by having them scan my badge. Thankfully I brought my own personal cards to hand out.

I can't believe in this day and age we still have to carry the show book around. Thankfully they made it small but i wish they would give you a pdf of it so that you could electronically scan it.

Anyway, you didn't come to read this garbage but learn about audio. On that front, the show has been enjoyable. There is a shuffling of guards with some new rooms sounding good. I only had time to see two and half floors.

Quick highlights are Dan D'agostino finally showing the Stromtank online audio UPS playing.

093A2942.jpg

They said it powers the system for 8 hours (this was with their dual new monoblocks). The price is a cool $30,000. You could get a new Tesla car for $35,000 or just get a much smaller battery UPS for your audio system. You pick!

They said this is NOT a unit they designed but rather one they are distributing from a German company.

The room had their amps, Wilson speakers and turntable. Sadly it sounded pretty poor. It was boomy in that small room. And the two tracks they played were rather bland and had tons of pops, ticks and groove noise.

One of the highlights at the other extreme was the Tidal room. Impressive, dynamic sound driven by somebody who knew exactly what to play to make them shine:

093A3002.jpg

The vote for prettiest suite goes to Focal:

093A3008.jpg

They had this clever pleated paper with LED lights in it which nicely set off the bright orange speakers and their integrated DAC, pre-amp and power amplifier. Sound was good.

What was shocking was this:

093A3011.jpg

Can you spot it? Yup, it is that skinny speaker wire. It was thinner that cheap headphones that come for free with stuff. It was from a german company and cost $1,200. How can that wire not cause colorations with its high impedance? Proof that I am not nearly as smart as so many others out there.

Anyway, we had some Turkish dinner and I need to let that digest. Hope this keeps you from blowing your curiosity gasket. More random comments and posts to come later.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Amir, check out Mark Seaton's room if you get a chance.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I think that pleated paper is made by a Mojo, a Canadian ( I believe ) company, Tidal used a few years ago in Munich it is quite expensive but it is chic.
Looking forward to hearing about more meals.
Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Tidal...

It took me until just now to realize the Tidal room wasn't pushing Jay-Z's Rent-A-Tune service.

I should get out more.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Tidal ( loudspeakers ) are Danish?
They are aimed squarely at the 'oligarch ' market, I don't believe they make an entry level speaker, I have never been hugely impressed when I have heard them at shows, obviously show conditions are not really representative.
They are fairly conventional in design, just really expensive.
Keith.

JoeWhip

What is that German wire made with? Perhaps the hairs of an angel with insulation material from a Bigfoot? Maybe it is alien tech? o_O

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Amir! Can you go and perform a citizen arrest on who ever is responsible for this please!?!! I will organise his rendition and exercise the appropriate justice, the methods of which will of course be at my discretion but I am open to suggestions from members..

Thanking you:)
Product Name: MasterBuilt Ultra USB cable
Manufacturer:MasterBuilt Audio
For More Info: www.masterbuiltaudio.com
MasterBuilt Audio cables were designed by leading Aerospace engineers and are handcrafted exclusively in the U.S.A. using proprietary manufacturing technics. Delivering performance unmatched by anyone in the high-end audio industry, MasterBuilt Audio cables utilizes the world's most cutting edge signal transmission technology which results in the greatest signal purity and lowest distortion possible. Simply put, MasterBuilt Ultra Line is our top tier cable; the best of the best, and deservedly holds its spot in the top 1% of all high-end audio cables. This line is exclusively manufactured utilizing rare and precious alloys only produced here in the US. The MasterBuilt Ultra Line belongs in the world's finest audio systems.
Price Range: $11,000 1m
Location at AXPONA: Lower Level - Burton & Room 426

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Amir! Can you go and perform a citizen arrest on who ever is responsible for this please!?!! I will organise his rendition and exercise the appropriate justice, the methods of such will of course be at my discretion but I am open to suggestions from members..

Thanking you:)
Product Name: MasterBuilt Ultra USB cable
Manufacturer:MasterBuilt Audio
For More Info: www.masterbuiltaudio.com
MasterBuilt Audio cables were designed by leading Aerospace engineers and are handcrafted exclusively in the U.S.A. using proprietary manufacturing technics. Delivering performance unmatched by anyone in the high-end audio industry, MasterBuilt Audio cables utilizes the world's most cutting edge signal transmission technology which results in the greatest signal purity and lowest distortion possible. Simply put, MasterBuilt Ultra Line is our top tier cable; the best of the best, and deservedly holds its spot in the top 1% of all high-end audio cables. This line is exclusively manufactured utilizing rare and precious alloys only produced here in the US. The MasterBuilt Ultra Line belongs in the world's finest audio systems.
Price Range: $11,000 1m
Location at AXPONA: Lower Level - Burton & Room 426

Drawn & Quartered.
Please post the video.
Iridium.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Did you make it to the Resonessence Labs room Amir?

Mivera

Major Contributor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Those Resonessence Labs pictures must be far back in your photo album :)
They are. I am going through the sequentially so not sure how close or far I am from them :). Let me post a few more and see if pops out. Sorry about the delay. :)

Top Bottom