• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Austrian Audio The Composer (headphones) and Full Score one (headphone amplifier)

lewdish

AA Composer's known measurements so far:

uafm4pg0qwvb1.png

Oratory's Gras 48BC Measurement
654e420df94dc5cf9bbcab223941e1c806f463e9.png

Resolve's BK5128 Measurement

1707511246956.png

Crin's K812 Measurement

At least we know Austrian Audio is Def the same team behind the AKG K812. Response characteristics looks pretty similar, and an overall improvement but strangely Oratory's measurement shows that they run out of steam after 9Khz vs Resolve's measurement on the BK5128 shows more extension after 10khz.

Austrian Audio def has some target that they intend to hit every time. After all the Austrian engineers left AKG during the Samsung acquisition, it looks like they brought all their research w/ them to AA. I own the AA Hi-x65 and they do a similar dip around 1.5khz, its not offensive in anyway, but maybe its something their team thinks is useful in monitoring or preference applications. A lot of HifiMan's headphones also exhibit a similar dip.
E3Xn6PHXMAoyBBQ

Last edited:

oratory1990

Reviewer
At least we know Austrian Audio is Def the same team behind the AKG K812. Response characteristics looks pretty similar, and an overall improvement
It may look like it, but they sound distinctly different.
Note the Composer's emphasis on the 3 kHz region, where the K812 is distinctly below the target (being much closer to the HD800 in that regard).
The Composer also doesn't have the distinct sharpness / sibilance around 9 kHz that plagued the K812 (the K812 has a few resonances on the loudspeaker that they could not eliminate before they were told to move to production)
Austrian Audio Composer AKG K812.png

lewdish

It may look like it, but they sound distinctly different.
Note the Composer's emphasis on the 3 kHz region, where the K812 is distinctly below the target (being much closer to the HD800 in that regard).
The Composer also doesn't have the distinct sharpness / sibilance around 9 kHz that plagued the K812 (the K812 has a few resonances on the loudspeaker that they could not eliminate before they were told to move to production)
View attachment 348645

The composer is def more refined, arguably an evolution in a good way. My primary note w/ AA so far is that they have a rather sizable dip at that 1.5khz across most if not all their products. Would love to see someone measure their budget products as well like the x15 to see if that translates as well. A lot of the new stuff looks like a go for me. Def want to give them a listen somewhere some day.

Though I do wonder Is there a primary reason for why Resolve's measurement shows more top end extension, is the 5128 more accurate in the higher frequencies?

oratory1990

Reviewer
Though I do wonder Is there a primary reason for why Resolve's measurement shows more top end extension, is the 5128 more accurate in the higher frequencies?
I would not call it accuracy, but the 5128 generally records higher SPL at high frequencies (about 6 kHz and upwards), presumably in part due to the shape of its pinna.
Hi @oratory1990

Does this settings - Roon - looks alright?
Numbers are entered correctly! But more important is how does it sound?

I personally find that the Composer only needs very little adjustment, something like this: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/kohd...ting.pdf?rlkey=yub2fkcna5v7212rm472mwpty&dl=0
This won't make it perfectly match the Harman target, it'll have a little more heft in the mids but slightly less bass (compared to Harman)

Top Bottom