• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP A-8 at Purité Audio London

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There must be a US dealer willing to loan a unit to Amir. His review of the Schiit Freya pre-amp found output impedance varied with frequency so matching with a power amp was critical to avoid LF rollout. The Benchmark's output impedance was constant over the entire frequency range (per Stereophile). As for bloggers giving the A8 a glowing review, Soundnews' gives the impression that the A6 sounds like junk which is no way to promote the A8. I suppose Eversolo won't be lending a unit to Darko Audio given his tepid and timid review of the A6 (to not upset other audio product makers).
Must be tricky be an ‘influencer’ you can’t risk offending your current advertisers and daren’t offend your future advertisers.
Very much the same as Hi-Fi ‘journalists’ you can’t risk offending an advertiser as next week you will be reviewing USB cables.
No monetisation is one of the key strengths of this place.
Keith

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
First review!
Don’t bother reading it, A-8 is more organic.
Well fancy.
Keith
The sense that that review makes isn't even audible.

raif71

Major Contributor
I'm gonna give Soundnews the benefit of the doubt on what he enjoys listening to coz he has experience listening to countless of audio gears. :cool:

Highvolt60

The Gustard is an audibly transparent dac/streamer,
The Eversolo DMP A-6 is also audibly transparent

Comparing equipment is difficult, even when level matched to .1dB, at the dacs output.
There is still the issue of connecting disconnecting cables, unless you were using two pairs of identical loudspeakers?
And finally of course the comparisons have to be conducted unsighted.
FYI the Wiim Pro Plus is also audibly transparent.

I perfectly understand it is difficult to dream up new disparaging comments but ‘your system isn’t resolving enough’ and ‘if you only listen to test tones’, are a little tired.
Keith
As stated, levels are always matched at speaker terminals (less than .06dBv) and it only takes about 5 seconds to switch the source on DMP-A6 and on my line stage and repeat the same section ! If you wait much more than that like 10 seconds or so then this can be invalid.
Un sighted testing is to remove any pre conceived bias one may have especially in an unfamiliar setting or system or content.
In my system under the conditions I mention, the difference is very obvious no question.

I have conducted blind testing as well in the past when I did not trust what I was hearing.
When I was sure I was hearing a clear differnence I could pick that out about 95% of time depending on what was playing.

As an electrical engineer I'm always wondering why audio components actually DO sound different when they measure so well (low distortion and ruler flat frequency response and so on). Believe me, if I could figure that one out $$$$$$$

At one point about 20 years ago I even created my own test CD with all kinds of waveshapes and pulses.
On equipment with the above ruler flat response and low distortion, I would see vastly different signals on the outputs.

Actual music is made up of mostly transients all happening together at the same time with different frequency components.
Standard test signals are measure of quality for sure but in no way can they tell how music sounds !
I actually think the most telling measure Amir does is the multi tone test.

You could argue this with people who have no knowledge or engineering expertise until the cows come home but if you believe everything is "Audibly Transparent" then just buy/sell the cheapest products that measure well and be happy...

Highvolt60

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

That is the SMP-A8 and it's features.
Still have not found any answers about the DSP functionality ???

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
As stated, levels are always matched at speaker terminals (less than .06dBv) and it only takes about 5 seconds to switch the source on DMP-A6 and on my line stage and repeat the same section ! If you wait much more than that like 10 seconds or so then this can be invalid.
Un sighted testing is to remove any pre conceived bias one may have especially in an unfamiliar setting or system or content.
In my system under the conditions I mention, the difference is very obvious no question.

I have conducted blind testing as well in the past when I did not trust what I was hearing.
When I was sure I was hearing a clear differnence I could pick that out about 95% of time depending on what was playing.

As an electrical engineer I'm always wondering why audio components actually DO sound different when they measure so well (low distortion and ruler flat frequency response and so on). Believe me, if I could figure that one out $$$$$$$

At one point about 20 years ago I even created my own test CD with all kinds of waveshapes and pulses.
On equipment with the above ruler flat response and low distortion, I would see vastly different signals on the outputs.

Actual music is made up of mostly transients all happening together at the same time with different frequency components.
Standard test signals are measure of quality for sure but in no way can they tell how music sounds !
I actually think the most telling measure Amir does is the multi tone test.

You could argue this with people who have no knowledge or engineering expertise until the cows come home but if you believe everything is "Audibly Transparent" then just buy/sell the cheapest products that measure well and be happy...
I would ask someone else to perform the switching while you remain unsighted and I always measure at the dacs output.
Keith

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Don't think there's any need to discuss differences in sound effects of A6 or A8.
Eversolo is aware of 'control' here and elsewhere, and capable of all skills to generate SOTA gears.
So what's about A8 over A6?:
  • analog input (may substitute analog preamp), but to me it's not clear if there is pure bypass or AD/DA
  • EQ
  • linear PSU (audiophile's like)
  • R2R Volume? (same in A6, or am I wrong?)
May be an all in one substitute for several singular solutions with audiophile attitude. Why not?

Top Bottom