• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey Manual Calibration “OCA’s REW + Audyssey Awesomeness”

just1n

Forum Donor
Should I worry that under ChannelReport distances are all set to "0"? Like your example above.
I had the same result. Not sure why.

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Perfect speakers are perfectly placed inside your ear ;)

Andysu

Major Contributor
unless all these eq have at least 20000.100 peq filters per channel , then i can't use any of them waste of my time , make 20000.100 peq then i can adjust the each single narrow band sine wave manually , of course leave it to automatic

socbutter

Could this be due to using a decimal comma instead of a point accidentally?
It does not explain why the .ady from the MultEQ app also had distances set to ‘0’.

It’s of a minor annoyance. I just finished my calibration and loving what I’m hearing!

Lbstyling

Forum Donor
What kind of advantage does this give over the multi-eq X PC software? (I already own it)

Is there a guide to do this using 'multi-eq x'?

DeLub

I think that software already provides you with the freedom to create any filter. I remember that in an upcoming version it will even have the option to import rew filters. So, none. But I’m not willing to pay such a large amount of money to only be able to use it on a single receiver. This guide of OCA is the great alternative !

Pabi

I still have a question from your latest calibration video: why are you not level matching the responses? It would seem rather important to me, especially during the creation of the first filter (bass region) where the boost or cuts are at 5dB…

socbutter

Finished calibration. This methodology is the easiest to follow amongst your other videos. This tutorial and the tutorial
Dolby Atmos Height Channels Measurement & Calibration with REW have been instrumental in making my Home Theater sound like wonderful.

I cannot thank you enough.

OCA

Forum Donor
I still have a question from your latest calibration video: why are you not level matching the responses? It would seem rather important to me, especially during the creation of the first filter (bass region) where the boost or cuts are at 5dB…
EQ does the level matching already but if you have really massively different volume leves between speakers, you can ofcourse volume match speakers first, dial in the new levels (both in the AVR and REW) and then start EQ from these levels.

Audyssey has a total limit of SPL change that it can apply to speakers. Volume level and EQ (custom curve points) are always added up behind the scenes so it really doesn't matter whether you volume match first and EQ or just EQ all the way.

What they have added to MultEQ-X 1.5.666 was exactly a reflection of that property:

* Added EQ headroom expansion feature
* Allow disabling of auto leveling for channel target curves

Last edited:

OCA

Forum Donor
What kind of advantage does this give over the multi-eq X PC software? (I already own it)

Is there a guide to do this using 'multi-eq x'?
I don't have multeq-x, never needed it but there's a lot of demand from X guys to be able upload MQX measurements to REW so they can follow my tutorials. I might come up with something on that soon ;)

I need some .mqx samples for testing...

Lbstyling

Forum Donor
I don't have multeq-x, never needed it but there's a lot of demand from X guys to be able upload MQX measurements to REW so they can follow my tutorials. I might come up with something on that soon ;)

I need some .mqx samples for testing...
I have MQX with a Denon 4700 and 3 subs, however there is only 2 outputs on the amp. MQX doesnt seam to do very well with splitting one of the signals to two subs. I want to use MSO to fix this, but really don't want to have to use a mini DSP just to run the EQ and delays.

Can this be fixed in MQX?

OCA

Forum Donor
I have MQX with a Denon 4700 and 3 subs, however there is only 2 outputs on the amp. MQX doesnt seam to do very well with splitting one of the signals to two subs. I want to use MSO to fix this, but really don't want to have to use a mini DSP just to run the EQ and delays.

Can this be fixed in MQ

You can use directional bass trick to EQ two sub outputs separately but you'll always be physically limited to 2 outputs for the 3rd sub. Do any of the subs have PEQ and/or continuous phase switch (ie not just 0/180)?

Lbstyling

Forum Donor
You can use directional bass trick to EQ two sub outputs separately but you'll always be physically limited to 2 outputs for the 3rd sub. Do any of the subs have PEQ and/or continuous phase switch (ie not just 0/180)?
I need to change the amps on 2 of the three subs (current Beringer inuke 3000 is far too noisy)

Was looking at Hypex fusion (15 biquad EQ filters and delay) given SINAD of 100, but am open to suggestions.

OCA

Forum Donor
I need to change the amps on 2 of the three subs (current Beringer inuke 3000 is far too noisy)

Was looking at Hypex fusion (15 biquad EQ filters and delay) given SINAD of 100, but am open to suggestions.
I would use just one sub out and split into 3. If you can dial in delays accurately on the subs themselves, you don't even need to EQ them separately. It's easy to tame the resulting bass response with Audyssey. When you use both outputs, there are limitations for time and trim differences between subs 1&2 and I've also seen different SPL offsets applied with dynamic EQ to each sub so ditched the second output. When you use them in directional mode, only one of the subs is active for crossover duty depending on the speaker and they only play together for the LFE channel.

OCA

Forum Donor
I had the same result. Not sure why.
It's the custom distances and custom levels you need to set in the ady, distance should stay 0 at all times. If you don't see them in your ady file, just randomly edit speaker detection results in the app before sending to your PC and they will all show up.

just1n

Forum Donor
It's the custom distances and custom levels you need to set in the ady, distance should stay 0 at all times. If you don't see them in your ady file, just randomly edit speaker detection results in the app before sending to your PC and they will all show up.
Got it. Thank you

Top Bottom