• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophiliac Steve Guttenberg reviews the Genelec G Three...

DACs_Lover

I'm confused: they talk as if there is an all analog input path to driver, and is therefore acceptable as it isn't digital. OM seems a bit ambiguous.View attachment 165747

I read the manual and confused too.
How can I feed a Tidal song to Genelec? Where to control volume?

Wait for someone to explain. Thank you.

JRS

Major Contributor
I read the manual and confused too.
How can I feed a Tidal song to Genelec? Where to control volume?

Wait for someone to explain. Thank you.
Disregard my post, I was looking at another model and meant to delete the post earlier. Apologies if it was misleading.

hch

I quite like Guttenberg and while I don't value the reviews, his taste in music appears to be good. He often recommends stuff that is very far from the usual audiophile reviewer garbage.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fresh review and (as expected excellent) measurements from Stereophile:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The other nice thing about Steve is that he shares simple tips like changing speaker position in your room or rearranging furniture as “free” tweaks. He also lets other viewers showcase their own listening setups to foster community.

I for one prefer excessive positivity over excessive negativity.

Holmz

Major Contributor
He's not like Mikey who hates everything; he's Stevie. He likes everything!

Par for the course…
Pick a side, and steer hard over.

I for one prefer excessive positivity over excessive negativity.

I guess excess positivity is better than excess negativity… But I think that the excess part sums it up better, than describing what is excess.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning

but even better with cables that cost more than the speakers ... :facepalm:

Sound like great wee speakers though

OP
C

Chaconne

I really enjoy Herb Reichert's writing and video appearances. He's quite a colorful and engaging character. But his G Three review includes this:

"To my ears, the G Three's presentation was slightly ethereal—less of the Earth—than the more corporeal Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badges."

Herb, I love ya, but what the hell? I have a pair of Falcon Gold Badges, and even I have no idea what this means.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I really enjoy Herb Reichert's writing and video appearances. He's quite a colorful and engaging character. But his G Three review includes this:

"To my ears, the G Three's presentation was slightly ethereal—less of the Earth—than the more corporeal Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badges."

Herb, I love ya, but what the hell? I have a pair of Falcon Gold Badges, and even I have no idea what this means.
It gets even more funny when he writes about the cables he used with them:

"This uncompressed transparency was especially evident with Cardas's Clear Beyond cables connecting the Genelecs directly to the dCS Bartók DAC/streamer. (See my report in this month's Gramophone Dreams.) I found that the punch, power, transparency, apparent speed, and dynamic ease of the G Threes improved dramatically when I switched from Cardas's entry-level Iridium ($125 for a 1m pair) to their flagship Clear Beyond interconnects, which, at $4250 for a 1m length, cost a lot more than a pair of G Threes.."

Jake C

Steve is a cheerful fellow, in fact perhaps too cheerful; he seems to like almost anything and everything. You really want a more skeptical curmudgeon as an audio reviewer.
The equipment that he doesn't like, well, we just don't see those in review. Also, Steve has certain keywords that let a viewer know that an item might be an acquired taste, or only acceptable at a certain price point..

Holmz

Major Contributor
The equipment that he doesn't like, well, we just don't see those in review. Also, Steve has certain keywords that let a viewer know that an item might be an acquired taste, or only acceptable at a certain price point..

How do others get the decoder ring to understand the hidden meanings?
Do we need to play it backwards?

Tangband

Major Contributor
Well, Stereophile have now also tested the WiiM streamer - its good that they review affordable gear now.

…back to the review in Stereophile of the Genelec G3 . The test measurements results by John Atkinsson are really outstanding in every way .

It makes me wonder why anybody would buy passive speakers for the same amount of money .

C673A284-DCD6-4942-AA86-AD8628CF6430.jpeg
85EE9DEE-CE02-440C-AE58-AC7765F87642.jpeg
23930C2A-63DE-4C34-958C-FACEABC1BF57.jpeg

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I think historically all of the print-era reviewers did this, too (damning with faint praise, so to speak).
I'm thinking of Julian Hirsch ;) Thanks to https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/HiFI-Stereo-Review.htm we have easy (and searchable!) access to most of his oeuvre. :)

... and, let me be clear, I enjoyed his writing and reviews in Stereo Review back in those days -- but he tended to be rather frustratingly circumspect. The much-missed Audio's reviews used to be a bit more plainspoken. :)

Heck, even Stereophile in its early days would be pretty blunt when they didn't like something -- and got into some pretty entertaining banter with designers and mfg. reps. in their comments section. Fun to look back at this stuff, too.

I'll just close with my mantra: I hate fricking video reviews. I like to read words and look at (still) photos and responsibly presented graphical data.

;)

l-intro-1633559809.jpg

Zensō

Major Contributor
Seems like a silly way to review products. I suppose he has to tread lightly to keep the review products flowing in.

Top Bottom