• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

G One w/ DX3pro+

bt3

Need tiny footprint speakers and thinking Genelec G One's or 8010's.
Want to avoid ground loop issues from get-go.
Own a DX3pro+ and like to use with Genelec's.
Use JRiver music player on a Win 11 notebook playing music files from portable USB drive.
I will not be using these monitors for music production, but for recreational music listening in small room.
Unsure which of these paths:
1. G One's connected to DX3pro+
2. 8010's connected to Dac which has a balanced connection. Would require purchasing this Dac.
Posts on internet mention use of balanced-to-unbalanced adaptors, and
other posts on internet mention use of power strip opposed to connecting Genelec's and Dac power cables directly to wall duplex.
Rather use my existing DX3pro+ as no need to purcahse another.
Genelec prices seem to go higher every year, and if I find some open box of lightly used ones - I'll consider that.
Your advice appreciated.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'd go with the 8010 and an SMSL M300 SE as DAC.
Native Differential In/Out will give you the best GND loop immunity, with the least amount of faffing about with converters, isolation transformers, etc.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Genelec 8010's have a two pin power connector - so no safety ground connection. I only ran into ground loop issues with a single ended setup (Topping D50s/A50s) when I upgraded from monitors with 2 pin power (Tannoy Reveal 402) to ones with 3 pin power (iLoud MTM). So I would buy the 8010's and see how you get on with them before buying another DAC (you'd be better off spending the money on a small sub to augment the 8010's).

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
(you'd be better off spending the money on a small sub to augment the 8010's).
Or at least EQing the living daylight out of the low end if your level needs are relatively modest. Had to do the same on my EVE SC203s which are a very similar size and response down there. Bass sounded very "small speaker-like" otherwise with its steep dropoff below the mid-70s and the midbass hump. You can probably just about flatten them out to a tad over 60 Hz without going overboard (i.e. boosting by >12 dB), with a -6 dB in the mid-50s. Doesn't sound like huge progress, but trust me, subjectively it's quite substantial.

Note that at least the 8010s are so ludicrously sensitive that the "LEVEL -10 dB" DIP switch setting is likely to be very welcome.

Top Bottom