• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio-technica ATH-MSR7 Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 60 56.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 36 34.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review, listening tests and detailed measurements of the audio-technica ATH-MSR7 closed back headphone. It was kindly donated to me by a member and costed US $200 (discontinued).

Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 headphone review.jpg

This is not a bad looking headphone. Alas, the cups are a bit small for my ears so not very comfortable for me to wear. Let's see how it measures on our GRAS 45CA fixture. I should note that there was fair amount of variability with the slightest change in the alignment.

audio-technica ATH-MSR7 Measurements
As usual we start with our headphone frequency response measurements and comparison to target response:
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Frequency Response Measurements.png

Seems like a rather unique response with that dip around 4 kHz and various ups and downs. If stepping back though, it seems to be reasonably compliant from 50 to 2 kHz. There is pronounced peaking in treble region.

Here is the relative response (to our target) for development of EQ:

Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 relative Frequency Response Measurements.png

Distortion is very low at lower volumes with the minor exception of a resonance around 5.1 kHz:
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 relative distortion Measurements.png

Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 distortion Measurements.png

Group delay is not very revealing but does show a blip at the same resonance:
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Group Delay Measurements.png

Impedance is low and flat:
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Impedance.png

Combined with high sensitivity, it should be usable on many source devices:
Best closed back headphone review 2023.png

audio-technica ATH-MSR7 Headphone Listening Tests and EQ
First impression was a dull sound which is due to combination of the dip in lower treble and boosted upper bass. So I developed a set of filters to correct:
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 equalization EQ filter.png

Once there, the sound was open, less boomy while at the same time having impressive sub-bass. I enjoyed listening to the headphones stepping through my reference tracks. The clarity was there was was dynamics.

Conclusions
Following the typical wild west of headphone tonality, the ATH-MSR7 presents a number of variations from our target. Half a dozen filters mostly cures that and when combined with low distortion, creates a very nice hi-fi experience. The cups are small for people like me with larger ears. :) So be sure you can return it if it doesn't fit you well.

I am only going to recommend the audio-technica ATH-MSR7 with equalization. Without it, it is a pass for me.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 ASR Frequency Response Measurements.zip
    44.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, @amirm !
It was kindly donated to me by a member and costs US $200.
Costed.* ;)
This one has been discontinued around 2018/2019. Replaced by actual MSR7b, which comes with balanced cable.
ath-msr7bbk_01.png

By the way, I owned this one (original MSR7) and found it way too bright for my tastes. Shame I didn't try some EQ at the time... :confused:

Last edited:

lennyanders

I used and liked them for approximately 3 years. My headband looks the same, as in the picture, but my earpads worse. I thought of upgrading to the MSR7b but ultimately decided to upgrade to the Denon AH-D5200. I wonder how good these measure.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I've certainly seen worse frequency responses in headphones! This one looks like it's mostly fixable with EQ, and you've got the low distortion measurements. Reasonable I suppose, but not particularly exciting.

Dazerdoreal

There are some interesting official modified versions of the MSR7 with, so it seems, the same drivers & frequency response.

Out of nerdy curiosity I was always interested in the DSR7BT.
"These innovative headphones feature Audio-Technica’s new Pure Digital Drive system, allowing them to operate without the sound-degrading D/A converter found in conventional wireless headphones. By utilizing Trigence Semiconductor’s Dnote chipset, the ATH-DSR7BT headphones are capable of receiving a Bluetooth wireless transmission, processing the digital audio signal and transferring it to the drivers where the digital pulses of the chipset move the voice coil and diaphragm forward and backward to create the sound waves heard by the listener."

There is also a MSR7NC which is a cabled MSR7 with noise cancelling. Interesting if you want NC but not bluetooth (the NC doesnt seem to be that good though).

Both interesting ideas imo which I would like to see on other headphones.

Guermantes

Thanks for measuring these, Amir. I have a pair that I used for casual media listening and tracking instruments in the home studio when I need closed-backed HP. I quite like them, mostly because they fit my head and ears very well (unlike the NAD HP50), though the treble peak has always been an issue. I've been using various measurements for correction, so I'm looking forward to trying your EQ as an alternative.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I agree. For $200 I’d like some cans that can at least pass without EQ should I not have the capability (in certain settings).

Thanks @amirm!
It pass without EQ for me. I personally do not find these Dull. a bit sharp yes, that treble boost can be a bit much but I kinda losing some levels up there myself and somehow can work for me. Preferences.

Maiky76

Thanks, @amirm !

Costed.* ;)
This one has been discontinued around 2018/2019. Replaced by actual MSR7b, which comes with balanced cable.
View attachment 273679

By the way, I owned this one (original MSR7) and found it way too bright for my tastes. Shame I didn't try some EQ at the time... :confused:

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve (and other constrains) with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be therefore more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF and maybe at HF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo, the boosts and preamp gain (loss of Dynamic range) need to be carefully considered to avoid issues with, amongst other things, too low a Max SPL or damaging your device. You have beed warned.
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit. YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
  • I sometimes use variations of the Harman curve for some reasons. See rational here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-5#post-989169
  • https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-6#post-992119
  • NOTE: the score then calculated is not comparable to the scores derived from the default Harman target curve if not otherwise noted.
Decent L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.
The absence of a deep and narrow trough at HF makes the score rather higher than expected.

Score no EQ: 79.1
Score Amirm: 91.0
Score with EQ: 102.2

Code:
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 APO Score Full EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
March222023-132718

Preamp: -7 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 23.24 Hz Gain 6.92 dB Q 0.83
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 200.92 Hz Gain -4.41 dB Q 1.07
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 412.19 Hz Gain 2.32 dB Q 2.11
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1467.63 Hz Gain -3.27 dB Q 0.83
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3619.24 Hz Gain 8.22 dB Q 2.79
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 7997.07 Hz Gain -8.61 dB Q 3.16

Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Dashboard.png

Attachments

• Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 APO Score Full EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.txt
    392 bytes · Views: 99
Last edited:

Yaiba

I have both MSR-7 and MSR-7b. Yes, MSR-7 have treble peak that effect to ear fatigue when listen more than 30 minutes. But that tonality good with J-rock and J-pop. I like to use MSR-7 to listen J-pop more than AKG371. And it's the most isolated for closed back HP around 200USD(also silent more than m40x,m50x,and AKG371) Someone complain about how it press to head too much.

Anyway, head band and earpad leather worn out quickly at around 1 year even you don't use it. And replacement I bought loosen than original. It may impact to leak seal problem.

But I don't recommend to buy any MSR-7 if it don't have original receipt from authorized seller, as it have many fake new around market(price only 50-70USD from China).

For MSR-7b, I think it just slightly different, not an upgrade. Better to go to R70x if you like ATH but need more neutral(it around 240-250USD in Thailand).

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Disappointing to see the quality issues,specially comparing them with the old builds who weren't so nice looking or advanced but at least lasted forever.
I have a pair of ATH-M2 from 1984 that I use daily and the only things I have changed in this 40 years is the headband and the cable,I didn't even bother to change the plug,it's still the original one.

Thanks Amir!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve (and other constrains) with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be therefore more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF and maybe at HF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo, the boosts and preamp gain (loss of Dynamic range) need to be carefully considered to avoid issues with, amongst other things, too low a Max SPL or damaging your device. You have beed warned.
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit. YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
  • I sometimes use variations of the Harman curve for some reasons. See rational here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-5#post-989169
  • https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-6#post-992119
  • NOTE: the score then calculated is not comparable to the scores derived from the default Harman target curve if not otherwise noted.
Decent L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.
The absence of a deep and narrow trough at HF makes the score rather higher than expected.

Score no EQ: 79.1
Score Amirm: 91.0
Score with EQ: 102.2

Code:
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 APO Score Full EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
March222023-132718

Preamp: -7 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 23.24 Hz Gain 6.92 dB Q 0.83
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 200.92 Hz Gain -4.41 dB Q 1.07
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 412.19 Hz Gain 2.32 dB Q 2.11
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1467.63 Hz Gain -3.27 dB Q 0.83
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3619.24 Hz Gain 8.22 dB Q 2.79
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 7997.07 Hz Gain -8.61 dB Q 3.16

View attachment 273715
Yep, when I saw the frequency response I thought they'd be able to EQ quite easily. It's still not the smoothest frequency response but I was confident it would be possible to EQ all areas onto the Harman Curve apart from a few sharp "micro deviations", albeit I didn't expect it to turn out quite as good as it did. That looks like a good EQ, well designed!

Popscene

Thanks. I wonder how they compare to the B version which had a quite different sound signature.

Moderate Dionysianism

Nice review! I owned a pair of the MSR7b. Totally agree with the fit & positioning remarks - the cups were too small for me as well. There are dedicated pads from Yaxi (even less comfy IME) and Dekoni (much better). The 'b's had a piercing treble, but it could be tamed with Oratory's EQ. The build quality is another thing. No defects or loose parts on my pair, but they were all squeaky right out of the box. I wonder if that's the case with the tested pair as well.

And it's the most isolated for closed back HP around 200USD
Gotta disagree here;) Poor isolation was the reason I sold my MSR7b. They were hardly usable on the go. HD 380 Pro and HPH-MT8 blow these out of the water in the isolation department, IME.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Nice review! I owned a pair of the MSR7b. Totally agree with the fit & positioning remarks - the cups were too small for me as well. There are dedicated pads from Yaxi (even less comfy IME) and Dekoni (much better). The 'b's had a piercing treble, but it could be tamed with Oratory's EQ. The build quality is another thing. No defects or loose parts on my pair, but they were all squeaky right out of the box. I wonder if that's the case with the tested pair as well.

Gotta disagree here;) Poor isolation was the reason I sold my MSR7b. They were hardly usable on the go. HD 380 Pro and HPH-MT8 blow these out of the water in the isolation department, IME.
Agree, the confort is not there for my large ears neither.

Popscene

Comfort is quite good for my small ears with the b version. The first one, despite is better construction, had definitely to much pressure on ears.
The MSR7b has a more relaxed sound, but the sound stage was not as good as the original one. I still prefer the later (b) version.
I know i don't listen to a high grade hifi with this MSR7b but the sound is quite pleasant to my ears, nicely coloured. But i feel it sometimes a little bit cavernous trough.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are some interesting official modified versions of the MSR7 with, so it seems, the same drivers & frequency response.

Out of nerdy curiosity I was always interested in the DSR7BT.
"These innovative headphones feature Audio-Technica’s new Pure Digital Drive system, allowing them to operate without the sound-degrading D/A converter found in conventional wireless headphones. By utilizing Trigence Semiconductor’s Dnote chipset, the ATH-DSR7BT headphones are capable of receiving a Bluetooth wireless transmission, processing the digital audio signal and transferring it to the drivers where the digital pulses of the chipset move the voice coil and diaphragm forward and backward to create the sound waves heard by the listener."

There is also a MSR7NC which is a cabled MSR7 with noise cancelling. Interesting if you want NC but not bluetooth (the NC doesnt seem to be that good though).

Both interesting ideas imo which I would like to see on other headphones.
I have a pair of the dsr9bt I bought used and really like them. They have both a USB wired and Bluetooth wireless mode which is pretty cool to test Bluetooth side by side with digital wired.

Top Bottom