• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audible Powernode 2i Hiss

chasehaddleton

Hey all,

I've been experiencing a hiss issue and have done everything I can to try to isolate it. Ultimately, I believe it is coming from the Bluesound Powernode 2i I am using to power my speakers. I spoke with my dealer and I got a replacement unit, thinking perhaps it was an individual unit issue, but the new one has a very similar hiss--I now suspect it's a flaw in the design that happens to produce some audible noise (atleast, to my young ears) in my near field seating position (at my desk). After looking up the specs I found that it has a relatively low (90dB) SNR, I guess this would confirm my initial suspicious?

Am I correct in believing that a different amplifier, perhaps with a higher SNR, would not have the same issues? I was looking at some measurements of the Cambridge CXA series of integrated amps and they seem to have significantly higher SNR (105dB), would exchanging my Powernode 2i for one of those likely solve my issues?

Appreciate any direction on this, I'm relatively new to the "EE side" of audio :)

Top Bottom