• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ASR Headphone Testing and BK 5128 Hats Measurement System

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
PSO seeked for an explanation for the perceived differences for which he would like to see Amirs (future?) measurements explain this.
Is my question a stupid thing to ask... if so why ?
The 2 very different headphones will measure/sound different from each other on any rig.
When they are EQ'ed to the same target (based on whatever is currently available) then one would expect the differences to be much smaller.
So... that's why I asked. It is not off-topic at all.
When PSO expects the differences he perceived are when EQ'ed to a specific target and yet they still sound different (which I would not find weird at all) and Amir's HATS + correction is closer to the reality PSO perceives (we don't hear exactly as HATS, but close to) then Amir doing a better job than others in this business makes sense.
not off topic at all.
He doesn't make any reference to the fact he's EQ'd so at that point it's safe to assume it's off topic as headphones differ definitely if they haven't been EQ'd. My point is that the subject matter of this thread is complicated enough already that it doesn't need any muddying of the waters by experienced & respected members encouraging & proliferating off-topic & borderline off topic posts. In order to get stuff done in this thread the waters need to remain as clear as possible, but I won't talk anymore on this topic re your discussion with PSO.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Broadly, if you want something that's got a well established statistical correlation with subjective perception, a GRAS unit and the direct use of the Harman target is the best validated approach - this would be the closest analogy to the speaker preference calculations already featured on this site. However, as said, Sean may be able to provide compensation data for the 5128, as he has had one for a while, and I see little reason to believe that the statistical robustness of the GRAS derived results would be absent with the 5128 (bar the aforementioned in-ear issues).

You've clarified something for me I hadnt twigged before. That you need to know the kit any reviewer/ measurer is using before embarking on using EQ settings based on those measurements if your desire is to tune to Harman (or other) target . I assume the likes of Oratory and @crinacle use something like what you mention so using the EQ's based on their measurements , and those of Rtings etc here https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results should get you close. The more technical aspects of your discussion are over my humble head.

Personally dont like EQ to the extremes of some of the adjustments in those settings so tend to crib the more extreme measurements and apply EQ to smooth a bit so less bothered by absolute accuracy of measurement.

What I'd like from Amir's work if he gets into it is something that will give us , the consumer, a steer as to what type of sound signature to expect from a HP under consideration and how well it achieves it

solderdude

Grand Contributor
He doesn't make any reference to the fact he's EQ'd so at that point it's safe to assume it's off topic as headphones differ definitely if they haven't been EQ'd. My point is that the subject matter of this thread is complicated enough already that it doesn't need any muddying of the waters by experienced & respected members encouraging & proliferating off-topic & borderline off topic posts. In order to get stuff done in this thread the waters need to remain as clear as possible, but I won't talk anymore on this topic re your discussion with PSO.

When someone asks a question, even if little of topic I feel totally free to answer that person or ask him questions as I see fit for clarification.
When admins Thomas or Amir ask me to refrain from this I will.
(Sorry for this off-topic)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
PSO seeked for an explanation for the perceived differences for which he would like to see Amirs (future?) measurements explain this.
Is my question a stupid thing to ask... if so why ?
The 2 very different headphones will measure/sound different from each other on any rig.
When they are EQ'ed to the same target (based on whatever is currently available) then one would expect the differences to be much smaller.
So... that's why I asked. It is not off-topic at all.
When PSO expects the differences he perceived are when EQ'ed to a specific target and yet they still sound different (which I would not find weird at all) and Amir's HATS + correction is closer to the reality PSO perceives (we don't hear exactly as HATS, but close to) then Amir doing a better job than others in this business makes sense.
not off topic at all.

I'd quite like to see this- if he has time , to measure 2 different phones, EQ them both to same target based on those measurements then give his subjective opinion. Lets say his Ether and his Senn 6 whatevers- as very different tech and open/ closed.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd quite like to see this- if he has time , to measure 2 different phones, EQ them both to same target based on those measurements then give his subjective opinion. Lets say his Ether and his Senn 6 whatevers- as very different tech and open/ closed.
I've done this on closed vs open headphones but using Oratory1990 EQ in terms of comparing NAD HP50 (closed) vs Sennheiser HD600 (open) and they sound really very different, perhaps not so much in overall tonality although the NAD HP50 are a little dull in the treble, but they sound really very different in spaciousness (best word I can find) with the HD600 winning hands down there.....the HD600 also resolves greater detail & character in the mid range (voices, etc), so even with both EQ'd to the same curve, and both very accurately EQ'd to the curve because they both EQ very close to Harman Curve (see the attached pdf files for how close they both match) there are still perceivable differences.

Yes, so this isn't very specific to the B&K 5128 we're talking about unless the 5128 somehow allows us to resolve greater measurement accuracy across the entire frequency which may narrow the perceived gap between two different identically EQ'd headphones.....so yes I guess that would be interesting to compare with EQ's from the B&K 5128, but certainly with Oratory1990 GRAS EQ's then you can tell differences between headphones even if they both match the curve really well.

Attachments

• Sennheiser HD600.pdf
    313.9 KB · Views: 531
  • NAD Viso HP50.pdf
    271.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've done this on closed vs open headphones but using Oratory1990 EQ in terms of comparing NAD HP50 (closed) vs Sennheiser HD600 (open) and they sound really very different, perhaps not so much in overall tonality although the NAD HP50 are a little dull in the treble, but they sound really very different in spaciousness (best word I can find) with the HD600 winning hands down there.....the HD600 also resolves greater detail & character in the mid range (voices, etc), so even with both EQ'd to the same curve, and both very accurately EQ'd to the curve because they both EQ very close to Harman Curve (see the attached pdf files for how close they both match)

Yes, so this isn't very specific to the B&K 5128 we're talking about unless the 5128 somehow allows us to resolve greater measurement accuracy across the entire frequency which may narrow the perceived gap between two different identically EQ'd headphones.....so yes I guess that would be interesting to compare with EQ's from the B&K 5128, but certainly with Oratory1990 GRAS EQ's then you can tell differences between headphones even if they both match the curve really well.

Which was pretty much what I would expect as there is more going on than FR. What Amir will be able to do that you cant is :

Take existing measurements (lets say Oratory) (Or , measure on his borrowed rig)

EQ using those to target (as you have done)

Then measure - see how close they measure. You and I have to use ears at this point.

Fiddle until measure closer

Then listen.

I still suspect they will "sound" different , even if they measure close. I wonder how much of this might be due to comfort and fit always in play tghe minute we strap a pair of cans on?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which was pretty much what I would expect as there is more going on than FR. What Amir will be able to do that you cant is :

Take existing measurements (lets say Oratory) (Or , measure on his borrowed rig)

EQ using those to target (as you have done)

Then measure - see how close they measure. You and I have to use ears at this point.

Fiddle until measure closer

Then listen.

I still suspect they will "sound" different , even if they measure close. I wonder how much of this might be due to comfort and fit always in play tghe minute we strap a pair of cans on?
Well, we can see how close they match already from comparing the pdf files that I attached to my last post. But yes, he'll be able to measure things like distortion & other things that he can use for comparisons for instance, but mainly for me the most interesting part of the comparison is what I bolded in my last post.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Subjectively, headphone sound is also not localized to the sides outside the head - if it were, we would require radically different target curves to achieve accurate timbre, and they would be very bright ones indeed by the standards of what we use presently. Rather, headphone sound is "in-head localized", outside of edge cases like head tracking+hrtf synthesis or well-matched HRTF binaural recordings.

You've never heard any out of head localization without an HRTF DSP or a binaural recording?

This is another breakdown in setting targets and I'm not sure if it's a difference in setting goals for headphone listening or something that some people perceive and that other don't. Personally, out of head localization is always my goal.

Mad_Economist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
BTW why is Sean so fascinated about predicted score? I definitely don't like it. If any I prefer binary scoring system. Sound like shit or sound acceptable.
Likely because of the rather robust correlation with listener preference, if I were to hazard a guess. Sean's worked hard on those models, not surprising he'd like to see them put to good use!

As promised I attempted to read about Chris Struck's approach using that link you gave (https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17041 ), but that was just to an Abstract of the paper, not viewable without purchase. However I did Google around the subject, and came across a mostly unrelated set of slides from him that are nonetheless interesting & informative so I thought I'd link them, I've skimmed them at this point rather than interpreted all of it.....don't look at this next link in detail (or at all), it's just a by-the-by point of interest mostly unrelated but sufficiently interesting to include: http://www.cjs-labs.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/HeadphoneMeasurements-CJSLabs.pdf

But anyway, going back to the Chris Struck approach that you linked, from the small bits I've read is this essentially the same as the Harman Headphone Approach for calculating a Headphone Frequency Response Target except it's theoretically calculated rather than measured? And the only measurement it uses is the anechoic data of the speaker, all with a view to creating a Frequency Response Target for headphones that is to mimic any specific model (eg JBL 305p Mkii for example) of speaker that has had it's frequency response anechoically measured.....and then you add in theoretical room variables of your choice (to describe the room you wish to theoretically listen in) to combine with the supplied Diffuse & Free Field HRTF files from the HATS you are using to measure headphones......and that's how the Frequency Response Target is created? I'm making a lot of assumptions here because there's not a lot to read on this subject and I've not spent hours on it. I'm assuming we could also add in things like Low Shelf Bass Boosts on top of that to account for the Harman preference research. Do we have everything at our disposal to try the Chris Struck approach with the B&K 5128? We'd need access to the formulas though I imagine, in order to combine all of this to create the Target Frequency Response?

EDIT: as an aside, isn't this related to the Smyth Realiser system, albeit Chris Struck approach is using more theoretical measurements (dummy head HRTF & theoretical room & 'theoretical' anechoically measured speakers) rather than actual measurements?

I got to see Chris give that slideshow presentation once, it was really good! Although I'm not as sold as he is on swept tone IMD...

FWIW, I'd strongly recommend an associate AES membership for any audio science inclined folks - it's only about a hundred bucks a year, and the back catalog is worth every penny.

You've got the thrust of it - Chris's model allows you to get an approximation of the combined direct + indirect sound power at the eardrum of a head, in a room, for a speaker, given that you have the reverberation time data of the room, the directivity of the speaker, and a set of characterization HRTFs for the head. This would be essentially equivalent to a higher-resolution version of what Olive and Welti did in 2013, where they measured an ear in the Harman room with their Revel speaker pair - a fair amount of smoothing was required for a smooth response due to the in-room condition there, but with the anechoic data, we can be much more high-res :D

This, I'll note, isn't approximate to the Harman target itself, but rather the "flat in-room baseline" which the Harman target was created from. From there, a large body of listeners were allowed to adjust two shelf filters (12dB/oct at 105~ and 2500~hz, I believe) to preference for both the speakers and headphones, yielding these adjustments in the 2013 study
Harman 2013 filters.png

Subsequently small adjustments were made in the 2015 and 2017 papers, but in premise I would argue that applying the adjustment shelves to a Struck-derived "in-room HRTF" would be appropriate, yes.

Re: the Realizer, I'd kind of argue it's almost the opposite, although the practice of measurement is similar - the Realizer does away entirely with target curve theory and simple says "for a given pair of ears, measured at the canal entrance, what transfer function is required to make circumstance A (headphone listening with a given pair of headphones) match circumstance B (speaker listening with a given speaker set and room)?" - it rather neatly "cuts the knot" of what something "should" sound like.

That's why I mentioned that anything above 5kHz is rig dependent and one should be careful relying on that data to provide accurate EQ.
Below 5kHz there should be not much difference unless the pinnae differ too much. As you say the coupling is direct, yet the pinna does also have an amplitude changing effect above 1kHz so that would indicate that above 1kHz the coupling already isn't direct anymore.

Do you know at what frequency the coupling starts to become less 'direct' and what would be the reason for this. I mean when coupling is direct why would a pinna affect the incoming sound ?

As with a room's transition frequencies, it is variable by the case - some texts I have seen estimate as high as 1-2khz for the transition, but these I think were from an older age of thinner earpads :p However, consider where one goes from the "room gain" band in a listening room - it isn't just directly to sound propagating as rays, is it?

Not sure what you are getting at. I hear the mono part inside my head and on the better headphones the sounds that were panned right or left (or binaurally recorded) outside of my head. Just not to the front.

With things like headtracking the signal applied to the headphones is altered in amplitude and phase response to mimic the effect the pinna has because sounds from the front of us have different properties than sounds from the sides or as you put it are 'direct coupled'.
What's interesting about this (you will probably know this and is why I ask) is that headtracking thus should work equally well with IEMs.
I hate to ram things in my ear canal so never use IEMS.

The direct coupling of higher freq bypassing the influence the pinna has thus could/should result in better spatial sound when the correct HRTF of an individual would be mimic-ed. As not all HRTF are the same that may well be the reason it works better for some than others.
For instance I have never experienced sound coming from the front or around me using headphones. To me it is always L-R and inbetween regardless of the trickery/binaural recordings I use. Never tried headtracking though. I am fine with L-R, it is a compromise which I learned to accept over time to me
I believe we're having a disconnect of phrasing here - the latter bolded part is precisely what I mean regarding in-head localization. We obviously do hear stereo panning - moreso with headphones for lack of crosstalk, if anything - but "panned left" is not the same as "localized in the room to my left", and the fact that a mono signal sits inside of our heads rather than inside of our room when played on headphones further shows the situation: we just aren't hearing these sounds "in space". It's particularly stark with personalized binaural recordings as a contrast, because headphones can faithfully recreate out of head localization with the correct sound cues, and it sounds entirely different.

Aside from the rather unnatural bass boost (driven by the desire to boost bass, lets forget the reasons for this for the moment) and the downward sloping FR response which deviates just slightly from other room corrections that is added to the 'corrected' flat response, what makes the target response of Harman very different from 'flat' with other room responses. Is this the slightly different slope only ?
To be clear, when I refer to the Harman target, I'm referring to the body of curves like these
Harmans.png

which are inclusive of both the shelf filters and the in-room eardrum response of the ear simulator. When I refer to just the EQ shelves, I usually call them as such or synonyms, and other than having an atypically well statistically validated correlation with preference, I don't think there's anything particularly special about them.

ndeed... because of my technical background I thus 'pull apart' the correction for the measurement mic and the room correction. The advantage of looking at it this way is that one can (electrically) experiment with various types of room correction where the end result for the HATS + room correction becomes the total correction which some folks thing is 'the Harman' correction applicable to all HATS.
A lot of confusion is generated by the nontechnical minded folks about the differences between the Harman correction plot (for their HATS) and the Harman target.
I have bones to pick with considering the eardrum response of a HATS equivalent to measurement mic compensation, but the general premise here - that it is interesting to differentiate the preferential/room curve element and the acoustic/HRTF element so that they can be separately experimented with - is something I believe we're in agreement on. Have you had a look at Chris's paper I linked above? It might be of interest to you, as it's basically about deriving a "baseline" HRTF target based on known elements of room and speaker behavior.

A question you are likely to know. Is there a difference between the actual final correction correction (Harman in this case) between the overly smoothed 'target' shown in virtually all publications, as an example the one Robbo99999 is referencing to in the Oratory plot and the actual one used per HATS
For GRAS equipment, to the best of my knowledge, no, the approximately 1/3-1/2oct smoothed in-room measurement of the 43AG-in-a-head is the data that's used, including for things like Sean's experiments in equalizing headphones and the correlation with preference ratings there.

I am unsure of how Sean has gone about making targets for other ears - I would have assumed something as you described, with the HATS placed in the Harman room to derive an in-room HRTF with the flattened-at-the-listening-position-with-an-omni-mic Revel pair, but I don't know this for a fact. Perhaps we should ask him, he's quite responsive.

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
You've clarified something for me I hadnt twigged before. That you need to know the kit any reviewer/ measurer is using before embarking on using EQ settings based on those measurements if your desire is to tune to Harman (or other) target . I assume the likes of Oratory and @crinacle use something like what you mention so using the EQ's based on their measurements , and those of Rtings etc here https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results should get you close. The more technical aspects of your discussion are over my humble head.

Personally dont like EQ to the extremes of some of the adjustments in those settings so tend to crib the more extreme measurements and apply EQ to smooth a bit so less bothered by absolute accuracy of measurement.

What I'd like from Amir's work if he gets into it is something that will give us , the consumer, a steer as to what type of sound signature to expect from a HP under consideration and how well it achieves it

Technically, unless Olive publishes a canonical Harman target for non-GRAS gear (which, prior to Sam Vafaei mentioning it to me, I hadn't even expected him to do), you "can't" equalize to Harman with other fixtures as the measurement system. I put "can't" in quotation marks because, as I've expressed elsewhere in this thread, my point of view is that the main interesting element of the Harman target from a subjective preference standpoint are its shelf filters, which could be applied to a differently derived HRTF for a given HATS.

Nonetheless, your general point holds here: you cannot compare raw responses from different heads/ears apples to apples; they should be close, but the fine details will vary.

You've never heard any out of head localization without an HRTF DSP or a binaural recording?

This is another breakdown in setting targets and I'm not sure if it's a difference in setting goals for headphone listening or something that some people perceive and that other don't. Personally, out of head localization is always my goal.

A true illusion of a sound source in the room? Nope. I'd definitely agree it's the goal - hell, my read of Theile is that subjectively accurate timbre isn't actually entirely achievable without it - but the illusion of an out of head sound source isn't achieved without at minimum head tracking in my experience. Different headphones make for differently "sized" rooms inside my head, but no normal stereo recording played back on headphones has ever sounded to me like a sound source in the actual space I occupy, whereas binaural recordings done with my own ears (yes, cheating, I know) have repeatedly fooled me into thinking something was really there.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This begs the next question.
How far 'off' is your listening room with respect to the standard room ?
Very off. I don't like IEC specifications anyway. And my space is huge, with far higher reverberation time than IEC spec.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A true illusion of a sound source in the room? Nope. I'd definitely agree it's the goal
but no normal stereo recording played back on headphones has ever sounded to me like a sound source in the actual space I occupy

Those are completely different things though. I'm talking about a middle ground between between sounds being localized completely within your skull and something that localizes like real life, or at least like a pair of speakers. Even with just IEMs, using some EQ and basic crossfeed I can at least get a 180 degree arc that's just past my nose and something with large angled drivers like the HD800 can even sound more than foot or two outside my head.

Do you ever get that sensation at all?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Very off. I don't like IEC specifications anyway. And my space is huge, with far higher reverberation time than IEC spec.

I assume the system is still very suited to act as a reference to compare the headphones to. It took me quite a while to 'master' switching fast between headphones and speakers. Getting the SPL closely the same (important) was another biatch. Have fun with the dummy !
Curious to see results.

No correction, sir. I just plugged in and heard the songs.
If it's off topic, pls ignore. I don't have that much knowledge, and I made a general observation. I don't understand why it is off topic, muddying waters, etc :).
I just responded to Amir's question to all ASR members, and did not read all the pages of answers before doing so.

No biggie. The differences are mostly caused by the frequency response differences between the headphones. The HD6XX is easy to measure and correct. The IEM is another matter entirely as insertion depth and seal differ between individuals so getting that EQ'ed correctly is another challenge.
Suppose that you could EQ both to the same 'target' the difference between the 2 headphones will be much smaller but the discerning listener may still hear small differences. Tonality (the most important aspect of how something sounds) will be far more similar than it is now.

Another way to look at this is not EQ at all (or only remove the nasty aspects if it has one) and use the various tonal characters of headphones as a way to season your music. That's another matter though.

Reactions: PSO

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
Those are completely different things though. I'm talking about a middle ground between between sounds being localized completely within your skull and something that localizes like real life, or at least like a pair of speakers. Even with just IEMs, using some EQ and basic crossfeed I can at least get a 180 degree arc that's just past my nose and something with large angled drivers like the HD800 can even sound more than foot or two outside my head.

Do you ever get that sensation at all?
I suspect we perceive something similar, but I don't use that description - the relative "spaciousness" of headphones is definitely variable, but it never sounds like a sound that is actually adjacent to my head. Even a very close sound source gives a different impression to headphone stereophony.

I believe your description is quite common in the community for what we're both experiencing, though - I just don't find it accurate to my experience. An HD800 sounds "bigger" or more spacious than a HD600 to me, but neither of them sound like the music is coming from any distance relative to my head in real space. The distinction is drawn very apparently with an accurately binauralized recording, as said.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I believe your description is quite common in the community for what we're both experiencing, though - I just don't find it accurate to my experience. An HD800 sounds "bigger" or more spacious than a HD600 to me, but neither of them sound like the music is coming from any distance relative to my head in real space. The distinction is drawn very apparently with an accurately binauralized recording, as said.

There was one particular song (can't recall which one) that always made me look to the left in front of me.
It was a sound in a live recording and it stood out really as far away in front of me with the rest between L and R.
That was the only (and perhaps the barber shop a bit) that things really popped out.
As I was listening to open headphones I first thought it was in my room.
When I played the song again it was in the recording.

I was a bit 'lying' when I said I never heard 3D with a headphone. Once when I was about to fall asleep while listening there was a very brief moment the sound went all 3D. It kind of woke me up, illusion gone. I suspect my brain also has a lot to do with me not hearing sound in front of me.
wasn't with my HD800 but with a KSC75.

With very directional electrostatic speakers I do get a great perception of depth, width and even height so its not that I can't hear 3D.
I find it fascinating but did not further explore. Happy with L-R and in-between once you get used to it.

I find the stereo width of the HD800 to be wider (I assume driver-ear distance and angle and perhaps wavefront ?) to be responsible.
It's biggest aspect, to me, is that instruments and such are easier/more sharply/loosened from other instruments, to 'locate' in a stereo 'image'.
This brings a sense of 'effortless listening' to me. I suppose people's brains differ too much to hear it similarly. Haven't heard much other headphones do that with the same 'quality'.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There was one particular song (can't recall which one) that always made me look to the left in front of me.
It was a sound in a live recording and it stood out really as far away in front of me with the rest between L and R.
That was the only (and perhaps the barber shop a bit) that things really popped out.
As I was listening to open headphones I first thought it was in my room.
When I played the song again it was in the recording.

I was a bit 'lying' when I said I never heard 3D with a headphone. Once when I was about to fall asleep while listening there was a very brief moment the sound went all 3D. It kind of woke me up, illusion gone. I suspect my brain also has a lot to do with me not hearing sound in front of me.
wasn't with my HD800 but with a KSC75.

With very directional electrostatic speakers I do get a great perception of depth, width and even height so its not that I can't hear 3D.
I find it fascinating but did not further explore. Happy with L-R and in-between once you get used to it.

I find the stereo width of the HD800 to be wider (I assume driver-ear distance and angle and perhaps wavefront ?) to be responsible.
It's biggest aspect, to me, is that instruments and such are easier/more sharply/loosened from other instruments, to 'locate' in a stereo 'image'.
This brings a sense of 'effortless listening' to me. I suppose people's brains differ too much to hear it similarly. Haven't heard much other headphones do that with the same 'quality'.

Yes I have a pair of 800 on as I type and thats why I love them. The separation and placing of instruments make it far easier to follow individual passages. Between that and the comfort , its far easier to "get into" the music than others. The LCD X with big velour pads offer similar comfort but not the space.

I got some AT AD2000 and they may have some of the same qualities of the HD800 in that regard. Very natural after a bit of EQ- can get lost.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I have a pair of 800 on as I type and thats why I love them. The separation and placing of instruments make it far easier to follow individual passages. Between that and the comfort , its far easier to "get into" the music than others. The LCD X with big velour pads offer similar comfort but not the space.

I got some AT AD2000 and they may have some of the same qualities of the HD800 in that regard. Very natural after a bit of EQ- can get lost.
If @Amir decides to get into headphone reviews after this trial period, I would love to see a HD800/HD800s review ASAP.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am reading through documentation B&K has sent me and ran into the specifications:

1597008004207.png

If my read of the spec is correct, it is saying distortion will be 3% at 160 dB SPL. If that's the case, then distortion should be quite low at much lower levels. So maybe some hope of distinguishing microphone measurements from that of the headphone.

A bit disappointed on matching of the two ears/couplers at higher frequencies. Combined with variations in headphones, this may be a bit of a mess.

Top Bottom