• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ask me questions.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When will service manuals be released? The big companies like Sony, Marantz, and Denon offer service manuals for repair and longevity. Maybe it can even be done for out of production units only.
I'm not sure Topping/TP wants to become a cult favorite name brand that broke the rules. LoL. :D

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you talk about market and sales, why don't you produce a product that can replace MEIZU HIFI PRO? It even supports a microphone.
1688352354508.jpeg
(There are even such things)
I don't believe it won't sell well.

Wawsax

Any interest in adding 'smart' or home automation features to DACs, for controlling volume and input switching? (Like HomeKit or Matter.)

You can use an IR blaster with current DACs, but it's somewhat frustrating. Having a sliding volume control, jumping to set volumes and selecting specific inputs; all would be very useful for those of us that don't sit right next to our DAC.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@JohnYang1997 is the global labor shortage affecting Topping too? It's reportedly very disabling for some sectors.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

About TP RA3

Do you plan to produce a more powerfull version with same form factor ?
Or a bridged mono version ?

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does Topping have any plans to produce a true power amplifier (instead of an integrated amp)—one without a volume control or source selector? If they could be removed from a version of the LA90 so that it would cost less to make, that product would probably be a big seller.

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi John, glad to see you back.
When will we see a factory tour video? I think the aura of mystery does not play in your favor, specially if you want to target higher trier products.
Take shiit as example, I have seen their factory/owners more often than my local church/priest.

artburda

Many thanks for the Q&A. Questions in regard to DSP have already been asked. But how does it look on your roadmap? When do you expect the first product with DSP being released? Are we talking 2025?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yes and no. It's not so difficult to just slap a dsp chip in a dac.
What's difficult:
Performance doesn't get hit
Available with all inputs
Supporting higher sample rate
UI design and display related

Not that those aren't achievable but everything takes time.

Plus you know the new es9039 ak4499ex chips took a lot of resources. Also there are many other things planned. Dsp equipped products have to be somewhat niche not many people want to buy or know how to use and are easily replaceable by software on pc or other platforms in normal use case.
Well don't use DSP's, use general purpose cheap ARM (newer A core designs without FPU unit weaknesses) SoC's with mainline Linux support and do the filters and conversation in 64 bit FP rounding back to 32 bit integer to DAC. That will minimise any possible performance hit, you would be out of the specific and hard to transfer DSP programing & tools for it... Softvere development is a long and difficult process which costs but you will have to start doing it if you want to progress future on. I would say go with joint venture but that rarely plays out good for example Hiby Music. Regarding interface a solid web interface is a best step in a right direction when it comes to that.

ThatGuyYouKnow

Ever consider seeking a possible partnership with Creative for DSP functionality in a future DAC? They have the Sound Blaster X5 for the higher-end market, but it lacks some things I consider essential that the better Topping DACs/amps offer.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@JohnYang1997 is the global labor shortage affecting Topping too? It's reportedly very disabling for some sectors.
Real youth unemployment over all of China is estimated to be at 20%. I don't think labor shortage is a problem in China.
It's probably that the factories and offices are not where the unemployment is or that certain special skills that need decades to build are needed.

@JohnYang1997
  • Why is it that there is no cat food with mouse taste?
  • When do we see your first DAC with PEQ?
  • When do we see your first Plate amp with DAC, PEQ, crossover and 2 or 3 channels to activate speakers?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Is there any chance to avoid low input impedance in all future devices?
Is there any chance to lift warranty/returning/service issues up to USA or European standards (so everyone can pay for it's own mistakes,the fair thing to do)
Will the upcoming audio interfaces be suitable for measurements also (as the rumor says that they will be world's lowest noise ADCs )

posvibes

I am a big fan of Topping equipment, so thank you.

Who do you see as your main competition technically/commercially?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Topping, SMSL, Zidoo ( Eversolo) and others have started a revolution providing SOTA components relatively inexpensively, my question is were you ever tempted ( or are you tempted ) to add a ‘milled from solid case’ and pitch at the audiophile world?
Keith

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm curious, what made you start working for Topping? Were you working as a technician/designer before working there? :)

PS. Awesome that you do this!

BeerBear

Dsp equipped products have to be somewhat niche not many people want to buy or know how to use and are easily replaceable by software on pc or other platforms in normal use case.
I think it looks like a smaller niche than it is, because it's still growing in popularity. I mean objective headphone measurements and EQing are still a relatively recent phenomenon.
And for music playback and such, it can be done with PC software, yes. But that doesn't work with low latency ASIO (or WASAPI exclusive), for example.
I believe there are people in music production (but not only) who would use this if they could. And many of them don't even know that they need it, yet. ;)

Top Bottom