• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX Review

Matt34

Last week, i put the LX in my living room in place of the 10+ year old Emptek E55Ti towers that I would soon retired, just to see how the LX would perform in a much bigger space, those Emptek was all i could afford over 10 years ago, but they have 2x 5 1/4" midrange PLUS 3x 6.5" woofers, significantly more total surface area, the tower technically "SHOULD" move more air, but the LX kicks the living crap out of the tower in bass extension, and it got all the way down to 30hz, while the Emptek towers ran out of steam at around 50hz. Dave wasn't exageratting when he said these LX woofer compete with some 12" woofers, the double layer copper voicecoil is even bigger than a lot of subwoofer out there. LOL But a dedicated SVS sub is still a must for me though, to cover 30hz~5hz for HT contains, you will love the extra depth with the addition of active sub to cover the extreme low end.

I've been a madman testing subs the past 14 months or so. This just happens to be a time when I only have two in my possession, sb1000 for my computer setup and a PE 15" in the garage.
1000000068.jpg
20231121_121415.jpg
Clipped_image_20240108_212622.png
20240108_180055.jpg
20231003_155514.jpg
20230903_164426.jpg

Xcaliber

Absolutely, that as well. These are flat baffle speakers with very wide dispersion like the Philharmonics and the Revels. That's not everyone's cup of tea. And with me being a Kef guy for most of the last decade or so, and very happy with them, IDK if I would really like them. OTOH, maybe after I hear them, I go head over heels. Just don't know, but might want to find out.

Thing is, they're so very reasonably priced, nothing says I would have to sell my Metas. I could have days when I want to hears the Kefs, and I just put them in and dial in their setup on Jriver by selecting their zone. And there could be days when I crave the LX's and could just move them in and set the Metas on the dresser for a while.

I'm also interested to see how closely they come to the Sointuva AWG's. Granted they have different design goals (wide vs narrow dispersion again!). But, even so, it should be interesting to see how close they come to Alan's exemplary speakers on distortion and power handling at 1/3 the price.

The Kef R3 Meta was on top of my list to try, they're very well received and reviewed as well. Have never heard it in person but if I have extra money I would love to collect a few sets of different speakers lol Kinda like have multiple suits, it's nice to have different lapels, styles, and colors, so I could wear whichever depending on my mood. :D

Xcaliber

I've been a madman testing subs the past 14 months or so. This just happens to be a time when I only have two in my possession, sb1000 for my computer setup and a PE 15" in the garage.

Looks like fun! lol My LX paired seamlessly with the PB-2000, few years ago I bought both SB2000 and PB2000 to demo them, end up keeping the PB-2000, , the SB2000 was just a little bit more musical and tighter, but ultimately the lower bass extension from PB2000 won me over, and it hits harder.

Last edited:

muad

Very fair. One thing you can do is order them and have it shipped to Amir or Erin and if the measurements are bad, just return it since Ascend offers a 30 day return policy. I know Dave won't like this idea, or maybe he will, it'd be two birds with one stone and he is very confident with his product, so his risks are super low.
Lol I tried this when the LX was first released. Dave was not impressed (understandably so) and I was denied shipping to anything other than my address...

AscendDF

Audio Company
Really? That's rather interesting. I wonder why.

As a manufacturer, there are several reasons.

Merchant protection laws require shipping to the billing address. We have been victims of fraud more times than I care to remember.

The very real risk of damage during the testing process. I have scratched / dinged countless speakers testing them on the NFS. Since we offer a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, we must protect ourselves.

There is the potential to be ethically wrong, anyone could simply order speakers, send them out for testing / review and then simply return them under a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. These are very expensive products to manufacture. knowing how both Amir and Erin try to stay as ethical as possible, I don't even think they would agree to this if they knew a customer was attempting this. I certainly wouldn't stand for this.

In addition, for many of Erin's reviews, he will open a speaker up, remove parts - take pics etc. That is not only an immediate void of our satisfaction guarantee (as it should be), but also voids our warranty if we don't grant permission to do so in advance.

I am sure you would agree, manufacturers must protect themselves.

Penelinfi

Is that tweeter grill removable? I feel like there has to be more sophisticated designs out there

AscendDF

Audio Company
Is that tweeter grill removable? I feel like there has to be more sophisticated designs out there

No, it is actually an integral part of the performance of this tweeter.

Pareto Pragmatic

A note on placement. This is about what I hear when I stand behind the speakers.

At 10 feet into the room, the sound stage behind the speakers is thin. From the front, no problem, it sounds like the stage is behind the speakers. But go behind the speaker and there is only a faint bit of sound stage there.

At 9 feet into the room, the sound stage behind the speakers is solid, rich, and with not much drop off from the front. Like standing in the middle of the band. Fuller bass too, at the main seating location. So that's where they are going to live.

So don't pull them more than 9 feet out from a wall, that's my suggestion. I doubt many will, but I wanted to offer that up.
Just a note on the bass capabilities of these speakers running full range. I'm in the dining room and my son is watching Spider-Man Across the Spider Verse episodes, and it legitimately sounds like there is a small, sealed subwoofer in play. Getting great energy and impact in the 30-60hz range at moderate levels.
I get down to 20 and then a relatively gentle rise into the sub-20 region at moderate volume (~70db at one meter or close enough). Old house, bouncy floor. Which reminds me, I need to try them with pipe organ music again now that the placement is dialed in.

Sokel

Master Contributor
The very real risk of damage during the testing process. I have scratched / dinged countless speakers testing them on the NFS. Since we offer a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, we must protect ourselves.
The Meyer sound speaker incident during the measurement was a nightmare,agree on that.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a manufacturer, there are several reasons.

Merchant protection laws require shipping to the billing address. We have been victims of fraud more times than I care to remember.

There is the potential to be ethically wrong, anyone could simply order speakers, send them out for testing / review and then simply return them under a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. These are very expensive products to manufacture. knowing how both Amir and Erin try to stay as ethical as possible, I don't even think they would agree to this if they knew a customer was attempting this. I certainly wouldn't stand for this.

In addition, for many of Erin's reviews, he will open a speaker up, remove parts - take pics etc. That is not only an immediate void of our satisfaction guarantee (as it should be), but also voids our warranty if we don't grant permission to do so in advance.

I am sure you would agree, manufacturers must protect themselves.
Very well articulated and makes sense to me.

mj30250

Oh really, what's the reason?
I can't speak for Matt, but in general, the SB-3000 is a newer, better engineered sub. It will run right with the 4000 in mid-bass output with no problem. The 4000 has more output over the lower frequencies thanks to its larger enclosure. If you're after more extension, I would opt for the PB-3000. It comes with port plugs so it can be tuned for whatever response works best in your room.

Gyosa1

I think I’m going to order a pair of the ELX Raal ribbon towers …
Sounds like they‘re pretty sweet based on this thread …

anyone had ears on them ?

bk

goldark

Forum Donor
You guys are a bad influence. Putting up my Sierra 2 EX v2 's up for sale (check the ASR classifieds) in order to purchase an LX pair soon once magnetic grills are more readily available.

I still plan to upgrade to the ELX towers at some point. At that time, I'll move the LX to surrounds. I'd imagine the bass punch and the LX's ability to sound "tower like" would be awesome for home theater, especially as a surround speaker where placement and budget don't always allow for towers.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys are a bad influence. Putting up my Sierra 2 EX v2 's up for sale (check the ASR classifieds) in order to purchase an LX pair soon once magnetic grills are more readily available.

I still plan to upgrade to the ELX towers at some point. At that time, I'll move the LX to surrounds. I'd imagine the bass punch and the LX's ability to sound "tower like" would be awesome for home theater, especially as a surround speaker where placement and budget don't always allow for towers.
Good move! Life is too short, so why save the good things for later? :D

AVKS

I really need to move mine down into my theater area and see how they do. Currently have JBL Studio 590s there, so it would be a true tower vs 'tower-like' bookshelf comparison. Physics will dictate some limits of comparison there of course, but I might be surprised.

Pareto Pragmatic

To put some numbers on this ...

At 10 feet into the room, the sound stage behind the speakers is thin. From the front, no problem, it sounds like the stage is behind the speakers. But go behind the speaker and there is only a faint bit of sound stage there.

At 9 feet into the room, the sound stage behind the speakers is solid, rich, and with not much drop off from the front. Like standing in the middle of the band. Fuller bass too, at the main seating location. So that's where they are going to live.
...I measured this morning.

That seems to be from a boost in reverb at 3 base nodes of ~ +100ms. EQ does get set to address those modes, but I've been using no eq to set things up.

This change also turned the 1-2k bump to a blip at 1k. I am finding that in my room, that 1-2k speaker bump is open to alteration through placement in a lot of ways. If I wanted a boost 1-3k, I can make that happen (I definitely don't, but someone might).

If a cat had not been sleeping in front of one stand, I would have tried the middle distances. Instead, I had no choice but to listen to music all morning.

Top Bottom