• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 V2 - Review & Measurements by Erin

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you go to spinorama and compare the Sierra 1 v2 to the LX, you can see exactly where the LX "thumps" the 1 V2.
Some bass more, sure, but still close imo.

1 v2 lx.jpg

HighFutility

Actually Ascend offer an upgrade kit from V1 to 2EX V2;
and;

JSmith
Honestly, how can you lose with this company's products?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
For the less informed how do you use that site to compare two speakers or generate an EQ?
That link shows which speakers are being compared:
1700887356383.png

Also, it shows that 'estimated in-room response' curve is selected.
Just use the drop-downs to change speakers or curves.

For EQ's, just go here and search for the model on the top right, then you'll see the recommended EQ:
1700887419085.png

Which you can input into any Equalizers.

If you hit the 'download' button, you'll see the EqualizerAPO formatted file, you can import into Equalizer APO (or PEACE interface).
EQ for Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 V2 computed from ErinsAudioCorner data
Preference Score 6.43 with EQ 6.85
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.26
Dated: 2023-11-24-17:53:26

Preamp: -3.9 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 42 Hz Gain +3.94 dB Q 1.29
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 88 Hz Gain -0.79 dB Q 2.82
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 227 Hz Gain +1.03 dB Q 2.23
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1202 Hz Gain -1.11 dB Q 1.63
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2765 Hz Gain +1.32 dB Q 1.08
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 9001 Hz Gain -0.14 dB Q 4.36
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 15685 Hz Gain +1.24 dB Q 2.30

Simple.

Kwesi

Yep, that's how you voice a speaker correctly; compromise for a smooth power response, and allow a bit nonlinearity of the axial FR but in a way that sounds "good" (no full baffle step compensation that it does not sound too dull, "BBC-Dip" at 3kHz that it never gets sharp). Love the Seas TAC/GB - I use it myself in a large floorstander and that tweeter has fantasic resolution and transparency, one of the best you can buy but not overpriced.

Great job from Ascend Acoustics!

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Measurements seems to be almost as good as you can get without DSP.

Between Ascend and Philharmonic, they are the little guys slaying the giants. I think the next speakers for my upstairs is going to be one of these two.
Dennis and Dave *have been trying to get it right* for a long time... that gave them a leg up on the competition when the tools came along to "perfect" the technology....hats off to them...:)

TurtlePaul

Between Ascend and Philharmonic, they are the little guys slaying the giants. I think the next speakers for my upstairs is going to be one of these two.
The common theme is internet direct. As Dave said above, cutting the dealer out saves a lot of money - if you otherwise get the speaker right.

I own Revel speakers. They are very good. I have owned Ascend speakers in the past. If you look at Madisound, you can see the Seas Prestige Titan drivers, which Ascend uses a derivative of for the LX (with motor changes to the woofer) and the SB Acoustic aluminum drivers which Revel uses a derivative of in the Performa 3 series (with custom tweeter waveguides).

The Ascend Sierra LX and the Revel m106 are both 6” 2-way speakers which you can buy for <$1,500 a pair right now. On Madisound, drivers in the Ascend are $200 for the woofer and $93 for the tweeter. The drivers for the m106 are $85 for the woofer and $55 for the tweeter. You can see a similar parts list for Philharmonic (which I have also owned) which has a 3-way with ribbon tweeters for less than $2k. and can sell a 2-way bookshelf with the ceramic coated SB drivers for $850.

That is the difference of one needing dealer mark-up and one not. In my mind, audio dealers are going the way of travel agents.

StefanSweden

If they only would come in white!

Do we know if their towers messure as good?

tw 2022

That is the difference of one needing dealer mark-up and one not. In my mind, audio dealers are going the way of travel agents.
hopefully.... nothing personal against the dealers in the crowd, but it's over folks... it's an issue looking fore a calendar date... the sierra1 v2 is like having a pair of m106's at close out / open box prices 24/7/365...

TurtlePaul

the sierra1 v2 is like having a pair of m106's at close out / open box prices 24/7/365...
In my mental model the Sierra 1 v2 is an m105 competitor (5.25 inch woofers) while the Sierra LX is a m106 competitor (6.5 inch) but otherwise I agree on the business model.

tw 2022

hopefully.... nothing personal against the dealers in the crowd, but it's over folks... it's an issue looking fore a calendar date...

In my mental model the Sierra 1 v2 is an m105 competitor (5.25 inch woofers) while the Sierra LX is a m106 competitor (6.5 inch) but otherwise I agree on the business model.
In my thought the performance is more on par with the m106 , driver size notwithstanding... But i agree that purely on perception the m105 is the direct comparison...

RMW_NJ

I’d bet Dave probably thinks the M126BE is a more appropriate comparison for the LX…and I wouldn’t argue with that.

tw 2022

I’d bet Dave probably thinks the M126BE is a more appropriate comparison for the LX…and I wouldn’t argue with that.
Yes....and the 2ex v2 as well....not to dis revel , but considering how they " do science " as a standard, ascend and Philharmonic sure seem to do it as well with better drivers and cabs.. I think the klippel is a great equalizer...Edit: i think the answer here is that revel is now " overpriced "...they may want to rethink their model...

Top Bottom