• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Artemis Launch

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
They launched with no problems - finally! They took my advice and grounded the rocket using good quality OFC copper 10 gauge wire. They admitted after the launch that it did sound better than if it would have been ungrounded. So, there you go. An old audio trick helped the rocket! :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The eastern sky reddenning near the horizon, rocket flame appearing above my horizon about 20 seconds after launch,
spent booster jettison, and progress "down" toward the horizon all easily visible from my front yard in Riverview, 115 miles away.

The half-moon was just above the highest angle the rocket made.

Came back inside and watched the instant replay of the launch. Didn't realize Artemis would be a single stage to orbit, like the Shuttle.

Seconds Speed
7 79mph
70 1045mph
132 3,170mph
210 4,535mph
500 17,430mph

1668643994567.png

An average acceleration of 34.86mph per second per second.
Or 51.138 feet per second per second.
1.6g average

At that rate, of acceleration, it would (ignoring the relativistic roadblocks) reach
the speed of light in only 222 days.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At that rate, of acceleration, it would (ignoring the relativistic roadblocks) reach
the speed of light in only 222 days.
Rocket propulsion works on the law of conservation of momentum. The momentum (momentum = mass * velocity) gain for the forward spacecraft is equal to the momentum "loss" from the engine exhaust going in the opposite direction.

A very significant factor for space propulsion is the amount of "fuel" the spacecraft has to carry. Since momentum is mass * velocity, the higher the exhaust velocity the less propellant mass the spacecraft has to bring with it to reach the same speed.

One of the leading technologies for high exhaust velocity rocket engine is magnetoplasmadynamic thruster (MPDT) . (MPDT only work in vacuum and therefore can operate only outside the earth's atmosphere.) MPD thrusters are electrically powered so they can be powdered by nuclear generators.

Wonder if anyone here is aware that one of the leading experts in the field of MPDT is none other than our good friend Professor Choueiri. When he isn't working on perfecting BACCH to give us good sound, he double duty as a top notch rocket scientist. Below is a Scientific American article on MPDT by Dr Choueiri.

hege

Forum Donor
As we are on audio forum.. any videos with high quality audio? NASA / Everyday astronaut streams had quite poor.

Looked through few dozen videos, here's the best ones so far:

Very clear with good subwoofer action

Artemis_1_Launch_from_Apollo_Saturn_V_Center_3.5_miles_from_Launchpad_39B-[F34Gv1xboE0].png (spectrogram for fun)

Quite clear, lows lacking a bit

Artemis_1_launch_from_3_miles_away-[Uuf-SRjkKS0].png (i think the phone cut off <30hz)

Wish I could witness it live.. booking flights for next manned mission. :D

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Do any of our highly esteemed engineers know what the acceleration rate of a rocket like that (could be SpaceX too). I just wondered what kind of G forces are at work.

Oh and that bass almost turned my JBL Flip 5 computer speaker into a shredded broken speaker! It was actually fun watching the Flip 5 trying to reproduce that bass! It made some nice crackling noises and heavily distorted non bass. It was its first time to be almost shredded like that. Very cool!

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Do any of our highly esteemed engineers know what the acceleration rate of a rocket like that (could be SpaceX too). I just wondered what kind of G forces are at work.

Oh and that bass almost turned my JBL Flip 5 computer speaker into a shredded broken speaker! It was actually fun watching the Flip 5 trying to reproduce that bass! It made some nice crackling noises and heavily distorted non bass. It was its first time to be almost shredded like that. Very cool!
The Everyday Astronaut or Scott Manley will probably have an explainer video on this (great quality those channels, highly recommended!).

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bottomless pit it may well be - but eventually it will be cracked, and when it is the BP turns into the horn of plenty.

That doesn't mean I think we shouldn't be doing space stuff though. We need both.
Fusion propulsion+nanobots=human crawlinization of the Milky Way.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Artemis I - 1.6g average to go 0 to 17,430mph in 8 minutes and 20 seconds.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I see it is going pretty slow in the 900+ mph range. I think Elon Musk will offer them a "Ludicrous" mode to speed it up. Elon is nice that way. Cost to be negotiated but I'm sure it will be very high. Elon is not going to work for free!:)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Apparently, the launch tower suffered some damage.

Don't worry Don. They didn't want the photographers showing the nice piece of Artimis that never left the launch pad. It seems upon further review the engineers decided that they can "wing it" as far as figuring out how the part still here will affect the mission. Seems the gantry never let go. Separation anxiety I guess. :)

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
If you didn't see it live, the above video is now a replay and @ 1:52.00 The Earth comes into view;

1669079307668.png

JSmith

Top Bottom