• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Artemis Launch

Peterinvan

Despite the naysayers above, I have to wonder what the little UFO thingies zipping around are all about...
Don't worry. They will never land as long as we have Covid :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The program total is projected to be $65B. US Population is, say 320M. My math says this $203,125 per US person.
Your math is off by 1000. It is $203.13 per person. Unless you are Eureopean and the comma is really a decimal point.

Plus cost estimates I've seen are currently around $28 billion so far. Expected per launch cost is $500 million (some think it might be higher). Not making excuses, the program is obscenely expensive and very under-performing. No need to exaggerate.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The program total is projected to be $65B. US Population is, say 320M. My math says this $203,125 per US person.
Huh? How? $65,000,000,000 / 330,000,000 = $197 per US person. Or is my Mac's calculator software screwed up?

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bottomless pit it may well be - but eventually it will be cracked, and when it is the BP turns into the horn of plenty.
Yeah, but commercialization at best looks like my children's lifetime, not mine. Here's the latest fusion power news, and it cost gazillions to get this far:

We're still decades away from commercial fusion power.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, but commercialization at best looks like my children's lifetime, not mine. Here's the latest fusion power news, and it cost gazillions to get this far:

We're still decades away from commercial fusion power.
I do believe they also have run the same test and not been successful at recreating the event. They have failed to get those results in three attempts since then.

DonR

Major Contributor
I do believe they also have run the same test and not been successful at recreating the event. They have failed to get those results in three attempts since then.
SMRs are the near future of nuclear reactors. Fusion was and always will be 20 years away, at least for the next century.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SMRs are the near future of nuclear reactors. Fusion was and always will be 20 years away, at least for the next century.
Agree. I like NuScale:

Because they're small, standardized, and modular. Sounds like a better strategy than huge and custom.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Because they're small, standardized, and modular.

"Gimme half a dozen for the ho-tel roooom!!!"

jimmycarlblack.jpg

Peterinvan

Your math is off by 1000. It is $203.13 per person. Unless you are Eureopean and the comma is really a decimal point.

Plus cost estimates I've seen are currently around $28 billion so far. Expected per launch cost is $500 million (some think it might be higher). Not making excuses, the program is obscenely expensive and very under-performing. No need to exaggerate.
My bad. I used the European definition of a billion (a million million)

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well, at least they're not launchin', havin' stuff blow up and rain down fire on the spectators.
So, that's good.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I guess this is the right thread to mention a book that captivated me from beginning to end and changed my mind in favour of space exploration:

The Case for Space
By Zubrin

It's science based and explains thoroughly what needs to be done to reach certain parts of our solar system. And what benefits we probably get.

I would also like to recommend a small booklet on space travel and the likelyhood of extra terrestial life called Travel Agency Einstein by Vincent Icke. (Reisbureau Einstein)

Top Bottom