• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are Mogami cables worth it?

Waxx

Major Contributor
Mogami is worth it's price, but the main difference with decent generic cable (copper stranded, good quality connectors) is that they are very durable, not on sound.

Generic brands can vary in that, but even there there are many that are as good as mogami, it's just a bit more tricky to get the good ones. Monoprice cables in the US seems to fall in the good durable category, maybe not like mogami, but good enough for home hifi where cables are less plugged/unplugged all the time. And they are a lot cheaper.

But Mogami Gold is not snake oil, it's just overkill for most hifi situations.

ribonucleic

Worth mentioning: Blue Jeans Cable XLR costs 30% less than Mogami, uses Neutrik connectors and quality Belden 1800F cable, and (according to the web site) is diligently assembled in the United States by long-term employees with health insurance.

FWIW

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Worth mentioning: Blue Jeans Cable XLR costs 30% less than Mogami, uses Neutrik connectors and quality Belden 1800F cable, and (according to the web site) is diligently assembled in the United States by long-term employees with health insurance.

FWIW
I use some of those. And for that matter some Amazon Basics XLRs. If you flex them a lot expensive cables might be better, but otherwise I'm not sure there's a big difference.

ribonucleic

For speakers that are sitting still and currently working fine, replacing with Mogami will only benefit you if your wallet is currently too heavy.

It would be roughly equivalent to buying a $100 Snap-On hammer for driving a few nails once or twice a year.

The value would come from your basking in the glow of owning a top-quality product used by pros. Because there are far more cost-effective ways of getting the job done.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be roughly equivalent to buying a $100 Snap-On hammer for driving a few nails once or twice a year.

The value would come from your basking in the glow of owning a top-quality commercial product. Because there are far more cost-effective ways of getting the job done.
Yeah. Pros need a cable that's tough as nails and stands up to years of abuse. A few more bucks doesn't matter to them if the cable is mechanically superior, or has a few more dB RFI rejection.

Punter

If the circuit is truly balanced then an XLR cable only needs to cover a few basics. The hot and cold wires need to be twisted, the shield needs to be fairly tight. Numerous cable types would cover these basics. From all appearances, Blue Jeans look to be excellent value for pre-made cables, still, there's nothing wrong with the ones you already have. Don't forget, the minute and delicate signal from a Neumann U87 mic would be entrusted to nothing more than a couple of XLR cables and a run of balanced wire to the console so I don't think the cables you have will have any trouble carrying the line level signal to your speakers with zero loss or interference.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have Mogami gold XLR cables I bought years ago. I also have Liberty Cable Z500 I picked up for pennies on the dollar and Monoprice. All are equally good.

wadude

After spending quite a while on this and other forums enduring cable wars, discovering truths and debunking myths, I discovered the things that work for me. Audio cables have to meet or exceed the electrical needs of my humble system, they must satisfy my vanity and can't be an embarrassment when discerning audiophile friends happen by. This rules out esoteric and expensive, and also rules out the brands that shout "sensibility." Damn, this is a hobby! Redco Audio offer pro bulk cable and connectors and do a fine job assembling them. My latest purchase from them was a pair of RCA to XLR adapter cables for a Hypex based amp made up from Mogami w2552 with Nuetrik connectors. If you need this type of specialty cable and stumble across this post, they are the real deal.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I just looked at the Livewire Advantage cables the OP has. They use Neutrik connectors, have high coverage copper braided shielding. I don't see any reason to replace them.

@Pancreas

Thanks dave

Yes I have no issues with them

I guess I fell for the japanese koolaid

im a big fan of japanese products and craftsmanship, all my guitars are made in japan. My mazda is made in Japan lol

Echolane

Worlds Best Cables costs half as much, uses the same high-quality components, and offers a 10 year warranty.

Pig Hog costs a third as much, uses fair-quality components, and offers a lifetime warranty.

Monoprice costs a fifth as much, uses adequate-quality components, and will probably last decades with thoughtful usage.

All will sound exactly the same.
The Mogami is shielded. Are the others?

JiiPee

Cable reliability? Really? I guess it could mean something for professional users who switch their cabling on daily basis, but as an ordinary guy who has had various HiFi-equipment at his home for 50+ years, I can only say that I have never ever had any kind of issues with any of my cables, and I have always used just cheap no-name cables.

Justdafactsmaam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Cable reliability? Really? I guess it could mean something for professional users who switch their cabling on daily basis, but as an ordinary guy who has had various HiFi-equipment at his home for 50+ years, I can only say that I have never ever had any kind of issues with any of my cables, and I have always used just cheap no-name cables.
I have all Mogami cables. Reliability is peace of mind. I’ve done enough switching that the extra few dollars were worth that. And the sound! It’s like they are totally transparent!!! ;-D

Echolane

have all Mogami cables. Reliability is peace of mind. I’ve done enough switching that the extra few dollars were worth that. And the sound! It’s like they are totally transparent!!! ;-D
I am super impressed with them. A friend of mine recommended them and I am so glad he did. But I just bought them today and haven’t heard them yet. I splurged and bought the Platinums. I bought them to connect my Berkeley Audio DAC Reference Series 2 to my new barely broken in CL—38uC tube preamplifier. Let’s hope they live up to my expectations in SQ.

Justdafactsmaam

I am super impressed with them. A friend of mine recommended them and I am so glad he did. But I just bought them today and haven’t heard them yet. I splurged and bought the Platinums. I bought them to connect my Berkeley Audio DAC Reference Series 2 to my new barely broken in CL—38uC tube preamplifier. Let’s hope they live up to my expectations in SQ.
Not sure what you are expecting. They work perfectly…..

Holmz

Major Contributor

^that may be true^

But others have had cables fail.
Usually plugging and unplugging (I suspect?).
I have had a set of HDMI and RCAs go Tango Uniform.

One can wax poetic on the magic of silver, gold, or other cables, or they can find those stories in legendary prose… which rivals Homeric lore.
in spite of ^that magic^, of the silver cabals…many recording studios use Magomi cables.

So I figure using a Magomi cable, and soldering on Neutrik ends is not a total waste of time, and the cables end up being the length that I want… without a coil of wire like a pile of snakes at a pentacostal revival. Some may think it is overkill, and my golden eared friends, think I am way under cabling my system.
Almost always… I need a length that is bespoke.

The Haus-Boss also thinks it is stupid… so I play with the cables in private… XLRs are “push-pull” :facepalm:

Jaxjax

I use em along with ProCo. Both cheap & good. I just buy pre made in the footage I need. I can't stand RCA connection anything. As long as they route well & good conectors your good.

BobbyTimmons

Mogami are good quality, industry standard cables. Obviously they are worth it.

Ricardus

I build all of my own cables for my modest recording studio and for my stereo, etc... I generally use Mogami or Canare, not because they will sound better, but just because the wire is built well, and some of the Mogami wire in particular has less memory than other brands. And since I'm making the cables myself, the price per foot cost of the bulk wire isn't as scary.

Top Bottom