• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are Mogami cables worth it?

Pancreas

I have Genelec 8030c, though not the highest end, they aint cheap either at $1400 the pair.

When I got them, I just got some Guitar Center brand XLR to TRS cable lol Livewire Advantage $17 balanced

The Mogami gold is like $60 for 6 feet. At the time, I just wanted the speakers to work

If my desk is 72" and my speakers are next to my computer monitor, should I buy 3 or 6 feet? I think 6 feet, rather have a little more

Should I upgrade to mogami? I mean it would cost me $120 for 2 cables for my speakers, the 3 feet version is $54 each, not that much cheaper, so might as well get the 6 feet

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you really can use the longer length that might be a reason to change out functioning cables (assuming your cables do function fine as is). Otherwise not so much. What do you think you'd gain with the Mogami cables particularly?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
mogami as a quality cable that isn't nutty money?... yes...

retail gold mogami? - if on sale, maybe - but a pair can be 'had' pre-assembled with neutriks for less... here's a recent thread here...

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

mogami as a quality cable that isn't nutty money?... yes...

retail gold mogami? - if on sale, maybe - but a pair can be 'had' pre-assembled with neutriks for less... here's a recent thread here...

I don't want to assemble or know how to assemble lol

How can I have this cheap Mogami cable then

Shadrach

Keep the leads as short as the layout allows and any old piece of wire will get the signal from one place to the other basically.
Speaking as a Genelec 8030C owner with a Genelec sub using the cheapest cables I could buy in the shop.

sam_adams

Major Contributor

thecheapseats

if you read a few messages down in that thread I posted for you - @Blumlein 88 nailed it with this vendor...
specifically:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Should I upgrade to mogami? I mean it would cost me $120 for 2 cables for my speakers, the 3 feet version is $54 each, not that much cheaper, so might as well get the 6 feet

Why would you run new cables when you don’t have to?

I like Mogami bulk wire just fine, but would not swap out a perfectly good cable just to change brands. That’s folly.

8bits

For such a short length and for balanced, there's little to no reason to spend any more of your money if your current cables function properly (which I assume they do).

ribonucleic

Worlds Best Cables costs half as much, uses the same high-quality components, and offers a 10 year warranty.

Pig Hog costs a third as much, uses fair-quality components, and offers a lifetime warranty.

Monoprice costs a fifth as much, uses adequate-quality components, and will probably last decades with thoughtful usage.

All will sound exactly the same.

Your move.

Last edited:
OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I guess is the name lol lots of youtube buy them cause they drank the koolaid and believe is the best

Holmz

Major Contributor

Maybe find a school kid or other electronics person in your area?
Then you can have 4 feet or 4’3” of cable.

Or just stay with the cables you currently have.
(Any change is likely not to be super obvious.)

ribonucleic

Mogami is very dependable. Good build quality and materials. That's why many pros swear by them. Do they *sound* better? Of course that is extremely doubtful. :)

They are not priced esoterically. At least last I checked.

Mogami Gold Studio XLR is $65 for 10 feet.

From what I’ve read, recording studios use them as a selling point for potential clients while wishing they could use equally suitable cables that are a better value.

thecheapseats

no koolaid... there's a reason you keep hearing people recommend the same brand names over and over again for years (mogami, canare, belden, gotham) - they are well known commercial quality products - perform great - wear and last extremely well - and are not snake oil... it's that simple...

youtube?... long ago, over four+ decades, I was rather broke and wiring up my first recording studio... I had a lot of balanced points to terminate and a not very well known company's u.s. distributor in L.A. gave me some bulk Mogami mic and line cable samples to try - complete specs with guage, pf/ft capacitance specs - and application notes...

the only reason I still use that brand or ANY well known cable brand today for mic, line,110ohm digital - is it saves me money (because it lasts)... as well, quality cable is a pleasure to work with and terminate... xlrs, trs, ts, tuchels, edac pins, TT patch bays - it doesn't matter what the connection is - and it isn't nutty money snake oil...

some lesser cable brands can be a real mess - they may outgass odors for months and 'stink' like hell - and some notoriously smell like a chemical spill when soldered or applying heat-shrink - or when in proximity to a rack of warm, operating audio gear...

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I recently had a cable failure that cost me a $$$ in purchasing equipment that in hindsight I didn't need. The issue was an XLR connector that was intermittently shorting. I use XLR cables for my microphone, and for no rhyme nor reason the mic would drop in sensitivity and I would get really strange looking freq sweeps. When I checked the cables with a multimeter, everything was fine. So I spent money and bought a new mic. New mic exhibited the same problem. So I suspected the interface. I spent many evenings running tests on my interface, before I borrowed a friend's interface thinking I might have to buy a new one. The borrowed interface exhibited the same problem. This immediately narrowed down the culprit to the cable.

Since I am too cheap to buy a proper XLR cable of the correct length for my mic, I obtain the length required by joining multiple cheap cables I have in my collection. It took me a while, but I eventually narrowed it down to a single cable. When I opened it up, I noticed that the screw that prevented the connector from rotating around the cable was loose. It also appeared that whomever who assembled the cable did not insulate the bare wires at the connectors properly. So if the connector was subject to a twisting motion, two of the 3 pins would short, sending 48V phantom power to the ground.

That taught me a valuable lesson. Cables themselves may not be important, but the connectors certainly are.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cables that don't break and are easy to work with are worth a few more bucks.

For speakers that are sitting still and currently working fine, replacing with Mogami will only benefit you if your wallet is currently too heavy.

Pro brands like Mogami probably get their reputation on the road or in studios where lots of plugging and unplugging happens, durability matters, etc. There is no sound quality advantage to be had in a 6 foot run in a home studio.

Top Bottom