• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple is forced to allow installation of 3rd party Apps (outside of their official store) in the EU

Do you believe this development is a positive/negative step for consumers?

• Positive

Votes: 25 56.8%
  • Negative

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Doesn’t matter to me, I’m on Android.

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They have legal and financial offices in various European states and save a lot of taxes. Apple in the world adapts to government impositions (China). I don't see why it shouldn't respect European regulations that try to fight monopolies.
Apple is respecting EU regulations. The regulations apply to what is sold in the EU without regard to the presence of a a company anywhere. What's your point?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's true that one should always be wary of such a deeply conservative and 'pro-business' institution as the EU.
Are you pulling my leg?

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is no Apple monopoly. Apple has just slightly over 20% of world mobile phone sales. As for Mozilla location services, don't guess, come back with the facts.

That's because people in developing markets can't afford Apple's over priced crap.

take a look at their market share in the states for example!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's because people in developing markets can't afford Apple's over priced crap.

Getting mean now? Due to forum rules I will not respond in kind. The large US market share contradicts your opinion of Apple products.

jhwalker

So ... people buying a product because they like it better is somehow a "monopoly"?

High market share != monopoly

jhwalker

I haven't used any iOS devices for a very long time. But do they still force you to use the default Apple apps? e.g. any web link automatically launches in Safari, if you want to use another browser you had to manually copy-paste the link into the other browser. Any maps link automatically launched in Apple maps, and any phone link automatically launched in their dialler. I don't remember any third party dialler apps for iOS but this was a long time ago. And of course, no option to change the launcher on iOS. If iOS still prevents you from changing default apps, I think that many would still think the Apple experience is limited.
No.

You can easily change the default browser or email app (since iOS 14; i.e., about 3 years).

They have not yet allowed you to change your default maps program.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
There is no Apple monopoly.

Apple and Google together are a de-facto duopoly in the global mobile phone market. EU legislation affects both companies equally and neither are happy about it. The fact that Android has long had methods of installing apps from outside the Play-store is more a fortunate (for consumers) accident of history where Google took their eye off the ball for a minute than anything else. They have been trying to put that genie back in the bottle for years. Thankfully without much success.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple and Google together are a de-facto duopoly in the global mobile phone market. EU legislation affects both companies equally and neither are happy about it. The fact that Android has long had methods of installing apps from outside the Play-store is more a fortunate (for consumers) accident of history where Google took their eye off the ball for a minute than anything else. They have been trying to put that genie back in the bottle for years. Thankfully without much success.
What part of the legislation does Google not like given that they already allow side loading? You may note that Chinese based Android app stores are loaded with malware and Chinese companies sell Android phones with built in malware. Android is a hot mess. Just see the screams when this happens with Apple in the US. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now your bias is showing!
Maybe, but it's justified bias. Anyone who understands the technical aspects of computer security wants a "walled garden", like Apple tries to provide. Every enterprise IT organization tries to create a walled garden, but unfortunately most employees aren't savvy enough to properly act within rules. (There's always some fool who'll click on an email attachment from a non-trusted source, even though they're supposedly trained not to.) By every measure I can think of, Apple currently does a better job of protecting users with IOS from malware than any Android phone does. The EU is grossly mistaken in its quest to make every environment open and everything interchangeable. Like that horrendous USB4 connector I despise. Perhaps they should take a look at the incompatible and terrible ergonomics of their vehicle manufacturers, and the completely closed nature of their maintenance documentation. But no, that would annoy EU companies, rather than US and Asian companies.

Last edited:

DLS79

Forum Donor
Maybe, but it's justified bias. Anyone who understands the technical aspects of computer security wants a "walled garden", like Apple tries to provide. Every enterprise IT organization tries to create a walled garden, but unfortunately most employees aren't savvy enough to properly act within rules. (There's always some fool who'll click on an email attachment from a non-trusted source, even though they're supposedly trained not to.)

I'm a Systems Engineer by trade, and I'm well aware of all the nefarious stuff that goes on around the world! I spend a great deal of time hardening the systems i work on from external attacks, and the stupidity of internal users.

however as the saying goes!
If you design something to be idiot proof, the universe will design a better idiot.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a Systems Engineer by trade, and I'm well aware of all the nefarious stuff that goes on around the world! I spend a great deal of time hardening the systems i work on from external attacks, and the stupidity of internal users.

however as the saying goes!
You're not being consistent. In post #46 you advocated getting rid of Apple's walled garden, which will reduce security.

popej

There is no Apple monopoly. Apple has just slightly over 20% of world mobile phone sales.
IMHO this thread is about providing applications to iOS users. Apple share of this market should be like 100%?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was gifted an iPad for Christmas. I didn't need it.

I though my mother might like it to replace her old and crusty Samsung tablet. She couldn't stand the thing and gave it back.

I donated it to charity. I hope it actually helps someone else.

DLS79

Forum Donor
You're not being consistent. In post #46 you advocated getting rid of Apple's walled garden, which will reduce security.

I don't care about everyone else's systems.

I'd much rather force the general public learn about the tech they are using, and how to protect themselves. Sadly the goal of many tech sales and marketing types is to dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator.

A somewhat amusing (imo) analogy are people who are overly reliant on their car's fob.

I've watched numerous people at work have complete meltdowns, because the fobs battery died, and they are oblivious to the fact the fob contains an actual key. The last peer I helped was a mid 30's woman who worked in sales. I walked out to go home, and there she was crying and furiously clicking the fob and yanking on the door handle. I walked up and asked what the problem was, and she said it won't open. I said can I see your keys? she hesitated for a moment, but then gave them to me. I took the key out of the fob to open the door, and then helped her to find the emergency start fob dock (or whatever its called) in her car, so she could start it. I even popped the fob open to show her what kind of battery she needed. The entire time she had a bewildered look on her face!

Imo, the above is a good example of what is wrong with Apple and a lot of other tech companies. They keep their customers blissfully ignorant and complacent. It doesn't help that a none trivial segment of the population want it this way. If/when the walled gardened comes down it will be a good learning experience for some people, and yes some people will have to learn the hard way.

Top Bottom