• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon NCx500ST Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 30 7.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 365 90.8%

• Total voters

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only way to shift from the XLR to the RCA inputs is with a small switch located on the back panel, correct? It would be handy if the switch were more accessible, or if a remote were supplied. You could then switch between, say, a balanced DAC and an unbalanced preamp connecting to multiple other sources.
Why would you need that though? I less you have two different sources for the amp. And what setup would entail that?

Ecaroh

Why would you need that though? I less you have two different sources for the amp. And what setup would entail that?
Yes, besides a DAC I have, primarily, a turntable with phono stage, and a TV; but also a cassette deck and an FM tuner, and occasionally a reel-to-reel. The S/PDIF out on my TV doesn't work right. So all have RCAs for output, though I expect I'll soon have a DAC that also has XLR. Not that important; I can continue to use the RCAs from all sources.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, besides a DAC I have, primarily, a turntable with phono stage, and a TV; but also a cassette deck and an FM tuner, and occasionally a reel-to-reel. The S/PDIF out on my TV doesn't work right. So all have RCAs for output, though I expect I'll soon have a DAC that also has XLR. Not that important; I can continue to use the RCAs from all sources.
And of course feeding a balanced/differential (XLR) input from an unbalanced (RCA) output is no problem.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In this case, I think your best option is to get a pre-amp.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I expect so, and I have one. (My post #640 above :))
Am I missing something?

Comment #640 does not say anything about you already having a pre-amp:
1711041360851.png

Anyway, what you are describing here:
That is the exact use case for a pre-amp. The only problem is that, there are no pre-amps on the market with this level of performance to match with a matching 43cm wide case, with the exception of a very very expensive Bryston.

I have the Gustard P26 preamp, it looks absolutely weird next to all of my components due to the miniature size.

Apollon Audio

Audio Company
I see that the multichannel lux amp is available with a rackmount faceplate; is this one (the standard one) available with a rackmount style as well? If I am putting it in a rack there is no point in paying for the upgraded casework of the lux one since it won't be visible. I am interested in a 5 channel version.

The normal version is not available with a rack mount faceplate. Only the Lux version is.

Dalprad

When buying expensive stuff, you expect exceptional, life-changing results. Given enough time, the novelty wears off, you accept the new balance on your bank account, stop listening to amps and start to enjoy the music. You have changed.
Spot on! It's also why a $10 amp from goodwill sounds so amazing at first. Your expectations are very low going in.

Top Bottom