• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon NCx500ST Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 30 7.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 365 90.8%

• Total voters

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
People claimed that OPA1612 measured slightly better than OPA1656 in the DIY Audio thread I linked, but that people seem to prefer the sound of the 1656..

Either way, I believe both are more transparent than the NCx500ST, so besides subjective preference it shouldn’t matter.
Bruno Putzeys explains below at 33:04 time-stamp.

On paper the OPA1612 is better but the OPA1656 has higher and much more linear input impedance which in a number of applications performs better.

PS: boXem has been using OPA1656 since the beginning.

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bruno Putzeys explains below at 33:04 time-stamp.

On paper the OPA1612 is better but the OPA1656 has higher and more linear input impedance which in a number of applications performs better.

PS: boXem has been using OPA1656 since the beginning.

Are OpAmps the next tube swap fad? :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have been for several years now.

Several threads were created about this already.
Was going to say, this has been a thing for a few years, and very similar to tube rolling. I'm not quite sure whether to believe people are hearing a difference or wanting to hear something.

My configuration choice was to go with standard, I didn't want any color. I can add a tube line stage or any number of other noise makers later if I feel the need.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was going to say, this has been a thing for a few years, and very similar to tube rolling. I'm not quite sure whether to believe people are hearing a difference or wanting to hear something.

In which case, it seems a miss they don't offer "OpAmp rolling" upgrade options as a probably profitable revenue source? Is it really just a plug-in thing? Are there any dip switches one has to set up? Didn't see any documentation out there, so you gents are waaay ahead of me, and I am sorry if I am wasting your time with the question.

TimF

Forum Donor
The photo posted by Tom22 shows the Apollon all in black with a simple grey or silver metalic edge around the front face. That silver/metalic edge is what I recommend NAD add to their NAD C298. I think such edge trim makes an improvement to otherwise large void appearance of the NAD C298. It gives the box dimensionality.

Ajax

Forum Donor
Not bad! Now are there options for half the power at roughly half the cost with equivalent performance?
Have a look at the Buckeye NC252MP ... US$570.

Archimago assembled one as a DIY project and then measured it and stated that in his opinion is it all you need for HiFi level performance. The distortion + noise is about 95db - down 20 db on this amp.

I have one and it is excellent

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
In fairness to Amir, it might have been confusing for him to see it spelt correctly...

(I joke I joke, please don't come after me)
Al-Lu- minimum. What? ;)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, all the measurements there are using burst mode now. This is compliant with CEA-2006/490A. Here is the description from AP manual:

The PowerCube has a rating of just 200 watts for continuous but jumps to 2 KW for burst and hence my modifications of the test to use this. This is the same measurement method I have been using on the right for each amp:

index.php

As you see, for class D amps it typically doesn't help the amplifier much but does ease the load on the dummy load.
Thanks, how about the regular 8 ohm, and 4 ohm continuous (so called) test, what would be the test duration? If user selectable, what's the test duration you would typically use for those so called continuous power output tests.

xaxxon

It'd be great to just lump amps built with commodity parts in one graph entry unless they're significantly different than reference.

The graph entry should just be the commodity part.

Last edited:

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It'd be great to just lump amps built with commodity parts in one graph entry unless they're significantly different than reference.

The graph entry should just be the COTS part.
Wish there were a thumbs down option for stuff like this.

Without reviewing each model, you can't verify that the reference design was implemented well, and you wouldn't have any remarks on the fit and finish or unique features added by the company.

xaxxon

Wish there were a thumbs down option for stuff like this.

Without reviewing each model, you can't verify that the reference design was implemented well, and you wouldn't have any remarks on the fit and finish or unique features added by the company.
reviewing the model is fine. But when it's graphed it should be lumped for long-term clarity.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This made it easy to measure with PowerCube:
Results of those two PowerCube graphs @amirm provided speak for themselves.
On paper the OPA1612 is better but the OPA1656 has higher and much more linear input impedance which in a number of applications performs better.
Isn't the output of a powerAmp's linearity (being able to drive most loads) much more important than linear input impedance?

Top Bottom