• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon NCx500ST Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 30 7.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 368 90.9%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
"50K μF"?!

grrrrrr.....

For starters, "K" is Kelvin: you want "k" if you mean 1000.

And secondly, you actually want to use a different prefix: 50000μF is 50mF.

Alex
I just added what the caps say on them for the 1200as2,you can see the pic,they use the same writing (4700μF).
You're right about the K though.

(the Micro Audio's Mundorf also write it as 10000μF)

caps2.PNG

ocinn

Do we really believe that people can hear the difference between these op-amps? In a double-blind test... I very, very much doubt it.
I don’t think anyone on this forum is saying there are audible differences outside of outlier fringe cases.

There are measurable differences, sure, but at this level of performance, 3db Sinad is irrelevant and obviously not worth the money.

Cleaning and tightening your binding posts can make bigger differences, as has been measured here a few times now.

Tom22

Nice Denon, that is one beasty boy. How is everything setup? The SMAL goes into the Apollon? Do you have to switch the speaker cables each time you switch between the Denon and Apollon?
It is quite a contrast between two worlds, Denon being class A/B, traditional HiFi with some „bling bling“ (Made in Japan, Jubilee ed.), 25 kg, vs. the modern concept of the Apollon…

Yes, the SMSL DO100 feeds the Apollon via XLR (Sommer Cable from Thomann, pair 50€ Made in Germany), an Argon Audio Solo is connected via Toslink to the SMSL DAC and is „Roon Ready“ (my only source is Qobuz w/ Roon). Speakers are Martin Logan Impression ESL 11A.

I need to switch cables between the amps, but this is not intended for the long run. I haven‘t decided on the future of the Denon, yet…

Still have to buy an audiophile AC-cable, Audioquest or the likes, this will certainly lift veils ;):p
(I bought a 4€ AC-cable from Thomann, 50cm to keep it short and tidy…)

Last edited:

Tom22

Agree. And completely disagree with those who said it looks cheap or not sturdy. Since I have one here, I can attest to how solid and well executed the build is. @Tom22, does yours feel cheap?

As an aside, the anodizing is done locally to Apollon per your order, the cases are not ordered that way.
No, I wouldn‘t call it cheap. At first I did not really like the design but it grew on me! Looks actually quite nice in the titan grey version. They do offer „nicer“ cases but these are not relevant for me.

Fit and finish is maybe not like the Denon in my picture (these two amps are hard to compare anyway), but it is really a great value proposition that Apollon offers there.

Tom22

The photo posted by Tom22 shows the Apollon all in black with a simple grey or silver metalic edge around the front face. That silver/metalic edge is what I recommend NAD add to their NAD C298. I think such edge trim makes an improvement to otherwise large void appearance of the NAD C298. It gives the box dimensionality.
Yes, it is the version in „titan grey“, I don‘t really like „all black“ nor silver with the strong contrast to the black housing…

daniboun

Major Contributor
Nicely done indeed. I think I recognise this case from Alibaba. If it is the one I'm thinking of then it's made of laser cut and formed aluminium opposed to steel.

Looks like you can't go wrong with Hypex (as long as you don't put an 'proprietary audiophile' front end on it)!

View attachment 310267

Seems to be
BTW, ALLO is using the same enclosure on their ALLO BOSS2 DAC CS43198

1694161858878.png

Michael Fidler

Audio Company
Seems to be
BTW, ALLO is using the same enclosure on their ALLO BOSS2 DAC CS43198

View attachment 310516
They have quite a smart look. Judging by the thickness of the formed shell you'll certainly be getting your money's worth and they should have a nice weighty feel.

The finish also looks good in the photos. I might get some of these in as samples for future projects. It's a clever design that hides the screws and can customised/produced for a low cost as you have economy of scale for the thick shell and the customisable part just needs laser cutting, forming (same for every style) and laser etch/silkscreen. The cut edges are also shrouded/hidden so you don't have to worry about edge finish for the laser cut edges. Very nice...

Only thing I would be worried about is flex at the top of the front panel but other than that it looks very nice. Perfect for class D.

Anthony T

I’m completely baffled by the fact that even 1 person gave this thing a poor rating. Even if you hate the looks it deserves a Fine vote. It’s a lot of clean power for the money.
Probably didn’t like the casework or just doesn’t like class D amplification? I have voted Fine or not terrible with a DAC or two that are imo “lazy products“.

S.M.S.L. released several products with what I considered a poorly set out display and continued to use it. You might disagree but and think it petty but I have seen a product miss out on a recommendation because it wasn’t Roon Ready, each to their own?

Other products from other brands just seem to churn out the same product over and over again, no real improvement bar a minuscule improvement in SINAD. Imo they seem like wasted opportunities.

Reviews consist mostly technical details but looks and feel are a consistent part of the process so imo it’s fair game.

I voted Great btw. Looks aren’t for me in the review sample but the option to pick a colour is a smart move and the rear panel looks great.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Cool amp. Did not find any information about the dB values of the alternatives. Even the foto on the manufacturer website didn‘t clarify that for me. Any ideas.
1694169259297.jpeg

Reactions: ENG

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, class D has issues with very low impedances and will not output the current into a low load resistance. The class D amps will go into protection mode.
Really? I have been using class D with my Thiel CS3.7 speakers for almost 10 years now, they are 2.7 ohms most of the frequency range and has 10" woofers, I can play loud bassy music all day if I want and it never gets hot. This is real world use.

AkodoGilador

Cool amp. Did not find any information about the dB values of the alternatives. Even the foto on the manufacturer website didn‘t clarify that for me. Any ideas.
View attachment 310538
Well...

Power = 10 ^ (gain / 10) * voltage * voltage / resistance

... where gain is dB, voltage is in volts, and resistance is ohms and power is watts.

The gain setting you want depends on the maximum voltage output from your DAC or preamp:
  • 10V with 12.8dB gain is 476W
  • 5V with 12.8dB gain is 119W
  • 5V with 20.5dB gain is 701W
  • 4V with 20.5dB gain is 449W
  • 2V with 27.5dB gain is 562W
  • 1V with 29.0dB gain is 199W
Hope that's helpful - and correct!

Alex

PS Those are all into 4ohms!

Last edited:

Haskil

Forum Donor
Really? I have been using class D with my Thiel CS3.7 speakers for almost 10 years now, they are 2.7 ohms most of the frequency range and has 10" woofers, I can play loud bassy music all day if I want and it never gets hot. This is real world use.
I've been using a Gemincore class D for 15 years with Divatech MC 210 speakers (former professional division of Focal) whose impedance drops to 3 ohms at 300 Hz... And I love the organ... no problem. ..

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do we really believe that people can hear the difference between these op-amps? In a double-blind test... I very, very much doubt it.
It is a fact that many people will believe in anything, especially things that have been repeated many times.:D Those who believe in such things (such as the difference between those op amps mentioned) will say things like: just because you can't hear what I can, doesn't mean there is no audible differences. They typically don't believe in double blind tests and will present their reasons if asked. I have seen enough posts on such back and forth arguments and finally got tired (or almost) of it.

Top Bottom