• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon Hypex NC2K Monoblock Amplifier Review

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
«What is a « fully passive design » When talking about an amplifier?

Passively cooled Amir was talking about. No fans to make noise.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Out of the 12 blue amps in the SINAD ranking, 10 have Bruno Putzeys' modules in them.
Indeed, It’s almost scary tough, For some of us this is a great hobby to « compare « stuff. And this is the very relevance of a forum like this. Just feels a bit odd, that we’re heading into a place where the tag on the front panel don’t mean anything anymore. It makes me also wonder, did THX drop the ball with their licence based business model, versus the OEM one of Putzeys? I believe that as of today The AHB2 is the only power amp using thx IP/module, right?

Jake71

The early roll off is probably load impedance dependent, the class-d LC-filter on the output will behave differently with different loads, as in the amplifier's output impedance will increase with frequency.

So with dynamic speakers where typically the tweeter impedance rises with frequency, it will probably be flatter than this measurement indicates, but in cases where the speakers upper frequency impedance is falling it would probably roll off even earlier.

Apollon HYPEX NC2K BASED MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIER Frequency Response Audio Measurements.png

Universal Cereal Bus

Indeed, It’s almost scary tough, For some of us this is a great hobby to « compare « stuff. And this is the very relevance of a forum like this. Just feels a bit odd, that we’re heading into a place where the tag on the front panel don’t mean anything anymore. It makes me also wonder, did THX drop the ball with their licence based business model, versus the OEM one of Putzeys? I believe that as of today The AHB2 is the only power amp using thx IP/module, right?
I don't believe THX is a manufacturer of anything, are they? They're an engineering design and certification company. Assuming amp module net revenue would likely be a relatively small (niche/small market size) compared to their other business units' net revenue, why make such a drastic business move? They'd have to expand in ways that they might not be set up for.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I don't believe THX is a manufacturer of anything, are they? They're an engineering design and certification company. Assuming amp module net revenue would likely be a relatively small (niche/small market size) compared to their other business units' net revenue, why make such a drastic business move? They'd have to expand in ways that they might not be set up for.
It’s not that clear cut. Is Hypex a « manufacturer »? it’s really not about selling hardware, it’s just the way they found to market their IP, nothing else. Same goes for THX, they do sell modules for headphone amps, I believe than in the case of AHB2 it’s a collaboration, not sure there is an actual thx « module » in it. eiher way, my point is if you want touse thx tech, it comes with a (huge) licence fee. but in the end it’s the same thing. they both have patents on a amp design, and they both look for a way to profit from it. they chose different business model to do so, and one appear to be more successful, but might just be in appearance.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Just feels a bit odd, that we’re heading into a place where the tag on the front panel don’t mean anything anymore.

In real terms it's been that way for 50 years or more with HiFi, especially the Japanese. Not many of the "big" names of the past made all of their own product and in many cases, some hardly made much at all. They outsourced the entire products, right down to the cardboard boxes to OEMs.

I don't have a problem with every man and his dog screwing Hypex modules into boxes and selling them on at (hopefully) a profit. But let's call them assemblers, not manufacturers in the true sense of the word.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of the 12 blue amps in the SINAD ranking, 10 have Bruno Putzeys' modules in them.

I am personally very happy with this situation. Decision parameters are now a lot simpler and objective - power rating, # channel, case dimensions etc. ASR is fast becoming a vaccine for upgraditis.

AndrewDavis

s not that clear cut. Is Hypex a « manufacturer »? it’s really not about selling hardware, it’s just the way they found to market their IP, nothing else.

It should be noted that the Purifi Amp modules in NAD's new amplifiers are manufactured by NAD under license from Purifi. So certianly not clear cut.

PeteL

Major Contributor
It should be noted that the Purifi Amp modules in NAD's new amplifiers are manufactured by NAD under license from Purifi. So certianly not clear cut.
The teardown of the n28 shows stock purifi modules.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I bet NAD just provided some input buffers, if they were not built into the Purifi modules.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now we are up to Kw, wow. Thank you @amirm for another detailed set of measurements. What's next megawatts?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MadMan

It’s not that clear cut. Is Hypex a « manufacturer »? it’s really not about selling hardware, it’s just the way they found to market their IP, nothing else. Same goes for THX, they do sell modules for headphone amps, I believe than in the case of AHB2 it’s a collaboration, not sure there is an actual thx « module » in it. eiher way, my point is if you want touse thx tech, it comes with a (huge) licence fee. but in the end it’s the same thing. they both have patents on a amp design, and they both look for a way to profit from it. they chose different business model to do so, and one appear to be more successful, but might just be in appearance.

Iirc THX amplifier design is not made up of pre-made 'modules' like ICEpower, Hypex, nCore etc. but rather circuit designs with patented ways to do specific things like feedforward feedback correction, so it's not exactly comparable.

Universal Cereal Bus

By "manufacturer" I mean engaging business activities that incur costs associated with manufacturing: sourcing, inventory, warranty, support, regulatory compliance and fees, etc. When you make and sell a tangible widget, as opposed to license intangible IP, you're almost in a different line of business. It may not be desirable for THX to take on all of that. I'm not aware of THX being an actual manufacturer of headphone amps; I suspect they merely license a reference design to Drop, Monoprice, SMSL, whom are all more well-positioned to either do the manufacturing themselves or outsource to the ODMs that they surely have.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Holy Cow!!

1.8 KW RMS

AND measures great!!

I prostrate myself before the throne!

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am personally very happy with this situation. Decision parameters are now a lot simpler and objective - power rating, # channel, case dimensions etc. ASR is fast becoming a vaccine for upgraditis.
I certainly felt that way with my NC252MP. Amp to handle any speaker I bring into the room: check. "Component matching" game: checkmate.

I'm not really sure what the use case is for 1.8 kW outside of subwoofers though.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No bling bling look, just performance.

I like also their website, specs and technical oriented, yet at "about us", they simply and clearly explain their approach for adopting OEM modules.

At its product page they state: "Delivering power for the most demanding studio, PA or audiophile speakers with amazing clarity and brutaly honest linear sound. "
See, they mention "audiophile" at the end, how nonchalant ;)

Btw. - Slovenia/Europe.

Top Bottom