• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any recommendations for a sleek cd player

thdny

Hi,
I am looking for a sleek cd player (or blu ray) to match with my topping la90 & dx7 pro+
I don't want a bulky full-sized player and couldn't find many options on the internet. The closest I could find was Cayin Mini-CD MK2

drmevo

I’m looking for pretty much the same thing - just a small player/transport with SPDIF output. I’ve looked at repurposing a DVD/BD player but don’t want to involve the TV (onscreen menus are needed for many models) or wait for the long startup times of many players. You would think something would exist in the $100-$200 range for CD I suppose it has become too niche.

The Cayin above looks pretty good but I’d like to spend even less. I’d be open to used as well, but most players/transports are massive full size components or multi-disc changers. I don’t play a ton of CD’s but just would like the option in my main system.

Did you end up finding anything @thdny?

OP
T

thdny

Hi @drmevo,
Unfortunately no, I couldn't find anything. I also like to have something black so my only option seems to be the pro-ject cd-players which are very expensive.

p.s. I wish topping had one.

drmevo

Hi @drmevo,
Unfortunately no, I couldn't find anything. I also like to have something black so my only option seems to be the pro-ject cd-players which are very expensive.

p.s. I wish topping had one.
That's too bad. I looked at Pro-ject as well, and besides the cost, people seem to complain about the quality of the buttons, etc. It seems to me that's the only thing you're really paying for in a higher-priced player. What a failure to not even get that part right.
Rip + NAS. The polycarbonate can be stored elsewhere.
Yes, thanks for the suggestion. I used to do that years ago before turning to streaming/digital downloads, but I'm trying to get away from being on screens for all of my music listening (still a necessary evil for streaming, of course). I work in IT and besides not wanting to look at more screens in my off-time, our 11yo son has a small collection of CDs and we want him to be able to play them easily and without staring at a screen. Trust me, it's a thing when he's using Apple Music via his iPad.

Kuppenbender

Forum Donor

drmevo

I can see where that could come in handy. It seems the Cayin would make more sense for me rather than add an adapter into the chain with the Tangent, at which point the price would be a bit of a wash.

That said, I'm still open to any other suggestions for current or past units that I may be able to find readily on the used market.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
GettyImages-497945952-5a9d3b951f4e13003641d4d5.jpg

AaronJ

Shanling Tempo ec1b, though it's discontinued. If you can find one at a good price it has been reliable for me for about 3 years.
Also the RFTLYS CD1 may also suit your needs.

drmevo

Shanling Tempo ec1b, though it's discontinued. If you can find one at a good price it has been reliable for me for about 3 years.
Also the RFTLYS CD1 may also suit your needs.
I like the looks of that, if I can find one for a good price. Seems like most options I can find ship from China at a fairly high cost. Is there no remote, though? The ones I've found for sale don't mention one. Another plus for the Cayin, added to the fact that it would be new and under warranty.

AaronJ

I like the looks of that, if I can find one for a good price. Seems like most options I can find ship from China at a fairly high cost. Is there no remote, though? The ones I've found for sale don't mention one. Another plus for the Cayin, added to the fact that it would be new and under warranty.
Naturally the value will depend on your shipping destination. I think I’d go for the Cayin too if I was to do it again, living in the US. Don’t think the Cayin was available when I was shopping around 3 years ago when the Shanling was $200 and I think shipping may have been free. FWIW the remote with my Shanling has never worked but I don’t need it, and if I did I know I’d never be able to get any support for it.

Also, the Shanling is very deep compared to some other products. The width is 1/2 rack size, but the depth is about as much as an AVR. This is because it has built in power supply vs a wall wart, which may or may not be important to you. If room in the back is an issue that is another plus for the Cayin.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Olasonic Nano-CD1

Really, really expensive for what it is though... EDIT: And no longer in production?

drmevo

Olasonic Nano-CD1

Really, really expensive for what it is though... EDIT: And no longer in production?
Yeah, I'm looking for cheap, but that's exactly the type of unit I would like. You'd think something like that would sell for $150 or so. It looks to be about the same size as the old Nintendo Wii console, which was a disc-based system.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
It looks to be about the same size as the old Nintendo Wii console, which was a disc-based system.

It's quite a bit smaller. Wii: 157x60x197mm, Nano-CD1: 149x33x149.

A gaming console of the same size would be the Sega Genesis 3 :D

But yeah, $700+ for a simple CD transport is just nuts.

drmevo

It's quite a bit smaller. Wii: 157x60x197mm, Nano-CD1: 149x33x149.

A gaming console of the same size would be the Sega Genesis 3 :D

But yeah, $700+ for a simple CD transport is just nuts.
Ha, I stand corrected! I’ve never seen the Genesis 3, that is indeed pretty tiny.

It’s looking like a portion of the ‘ol tax refund will be allocated to the Cayin.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
I am looking for a sleek cd player (or blu ray) to match with my topping la90 & dx7 pro+
I don't want a bulky full-sized player and couldn't find many options on the internet. The closest I could find was Cayin Mini-CD MK2

Top Bottom