• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem STR pre-amp

Lev80

Welcome to ASR, happy to have you here.
Your choice of the STR pre is a very good one. The integration of the Anthem Room Correction system will bring a whole world of new options to your rig. I've never used it, but I've heard it set up a couple times now and was very impressed with the final results. Take some time to do some homework on it's use and the time spent will pay back dividends.
Your JC5 is a big, muscular amp and should be able to handle anything it's called on to provide.
Enjoy that new sound.
Sal
BTW, I use 5.2.4 Audyssey Room Correction myself, DRC is the future of audio that can take your system to a whole new level.

Cheers Sal1950 :) I used to be a big fan of room correction back in the days of my HT adventures over a decade but never applied it on stereo as I always had HT and 2ch separated. Yes indeed I will play around with the STR Pre yet still curious about the pairing overall as I'm still waiting for delivery. Over the years my rig paired to the better or worse with different units.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Cheers Sal1950 :) I used to be a big fan of room correction back in the days of my HT adventures over a decade but never applied it on stereo as I always had HT and 2ch separated. Yes indeed I will play around with the STR Pre yet still curious about the pairing overall as I'm still waiting for delivery. Over the years my rig paired to the better or worse with different units.
Well understand this is a "Science" oriented site, we don't believe in unsupportable audio claims or snake-oil magic dust.
I've no experience with your speakers, but your electronics in IMO are at the "fully transparent" level. The only way to make any real change in it's basic SQ is through DSP, room treatments, or a change of speakers. In any case it should be capable of incredible sound.

Lev80

Well understand this is a "Science" oriented site, we don't believe in unsupportable audio claims or snake-oil magic dust.
I've no experience with your speakers, but your electronics in IMO are at the "fully transparent" level. The only way to make any real change in it's basic SQ is through DSP, room treatments, or a change of speakers. In any case it should be capable of incredible sound.

Sal1950 LOL I'm blocked from the majority of the snake oil sites and groups just because I always ask for measurements instead of beliefs and feelings. hahaha

and on a side note: Like the anti MQA logo, gonna borrow it LOL

pp1.jpg

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Mike-48

I'm in the process of exchanging my DAC/pre units, moving from the Parasound P6 to the STR Pre. "awaiting delivery"
My power amp is the JC5, speakers are Swans F2.2A
My question to the fellas here: What would you think about this pairing?

I don't know the Parasound gear, nor your speakers, but I've been using an STR Preamp for about two years now. I would say "lively and dynamic" are good descriptions. The Anthem RC is the best I've used. It is outstanding at integrating subs, if that's an interest of yours, and of course most domestic rooms benefit from DSP in the bass, which it can provide. I find its DSP transparent enough so that I use it full-range much of the time.

FYI, in my system it replaced a more expensive Classe CP-800. The Anthem's DSP is far more transparent, and I prefer the STR's overall sound, too.

Lev80

I don't know the Parasound gear, nor your speakers, but I've been using an STR Preamp for about two years now. I would say "lively and dynamic" are good descriptions. The Anthem RC is the best I've used. It is outstanding at integrating subs, if that's an interest of yours, and of course most domestic rooms benefit from DSP in the bass, which it can provide. I find its DSP transparent enough so that I use it full-range much of the time.

FYI, in my system it replaced a more expensive Classe CP-800. The Anthem's DSP is far more transparent, and I prefer the STR's overall sound, too.
Thank you Mike for the information and insight.

xirtam2005

Joined the Anthem STR club. Of the units that can optimize a 2.2 stereo system while allowing for relatively seamless HT bypass this seems to be the least compromised. So far , so good and it solved my HT ground loop problem too. This one box replaced a Benchmark DAC3, A JL CR-1 crossover and a miniDSP DDRC-22D Dirac unit. Only problem is a mostly empty rack, any suggestions?

View attachment 59725View attachment 59726

How do you like the Anthem STR PRE compared to the Benchmark DAC3 coupled with the JL Audio CR-1 crossover? Was the sound quality and/or signature any different? Did you find that the JL CR-1 degraded the sound at all? Which did you prefer? Do you still have the STR PRE, and if not, what do you currently have and why?

I currently have a very musical Paradigm Signature Sub 1 (similar to Persona Sub) that has its own built it PBK sub EQ (same technology as Anthem's ARC). Integrating that sub did wonders for music in the 20-50 hz range, and to my ears, the 20-50hz range bass definition and articulation with proper sub EQ sounds so much better than the muddy mess I've found on cost no object audiophile systems with regular 2 channel full range speakers and no sub EQ. I've had audiophile friends tell me my system is the best they've ever heard - anywhere, specifically because of how that sub transforms the 20-50 hz range.

I'm currently using an Oppo 105 as a DAC/preamp/crossover, as I've been waiting MANY YEARS for a proper 2.1 channel DAC/Preamp that can be confident sounds at least as good as the Oppo 105. Its a crying shame Oppo stopped making products. I never use the 105 for physical media anymore, but I find not only a great performer but also an unbelievable value as a DAC/preamp/crossover. I cannot find a single product at any price that does what that does at the level it does.

The Anthem STR Pre or the Benchmark DAC 3 HGC with JL Audio CR-1 combo are what I can find. How will either option compare to the Oppo 105?

My concerns are 1) Will the Anthem STR Pre sound as good as the Oppo 105, or will it degrade the sound? It does seem to have reasonable published S/N ratio (better than any single product currently available that does what it does) but haven't seen SINAD. 2) I understand Benchmark DAC3 HGC is great, but will the JL Audio CR-1 degrade the main sound? That Oppo did the crossover in the digital domain - pretty amazing for what it does.

I love the way my sub integrates, and I think if audiophiles discover what a game changer the lower bass definition and articulation is with SUB EQ properly integrated and crossed over, we'd see more high SINAD projects for SUB integration.

I really wish Benchmark would offer a crossover in a future product for proper audiophile sub integration that doesn't degrade sound, maintaining "Benchmark" SINAD, either in digital domain in a DAC3/4 or balanced analog in an HPA5 variant.

Last edited:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you like the Anthem STR PRE compared to the Benchmark DAC3 coupled with the JL Audio CR-1 crossover? Was the sound quality and/or signature any different? Did you find that the JL CR-1 degraded the sound at all? Which did you prefer? Do you still have the STR PRE, and if not, what do you currently have and why?

I currently have a very musical Paradigm Signature Sub 1 (similar to Persona Sub) that has its own built it PBK sub EQ (same technology as Anthem's ARC). Integrating that sub did wonders for music in the 20-50 hz range, and to my ears, the 20-50hz range bass definition and articulation with proper sub EQ sounds so much better than the muddy mess I've found on cost no object audiophile systems with regular 2 channel full range speakers and no sub EQ. I've had audiophile friends tell me my system is the best they've ever heard - anywhere, specifically because of how that sub transforms the 20-50 hz range.

I'm currently using an Oppo 105 as a DAC/preamp/crossover, as I've been waiting MANY YEARS for a proper 2.1 channel DAC/Preamp that can be confident sounds at least as good as the Oppo 105. Its a crying shame Oppo stopped making products. I never use the 105 for physical media anymore, but I find not only a great performer but also an unbelievable value as a DAC/preamp/crossover. I cannot find a single product at any price that does what that does at the level it does.

The Anthem STR Pre or the Benchmark DAC 3 HGC with JL Audio CR-1 combo are what I can find. How will either option compare to the Oppo 105?

My concerns are 1) Will the Anthem STR Pre sound as good as the Oppo 105, or will it degrade the sound? It does seem to have reasonable published S/N ratio (better than any single product currently available that does what it does) but haven't seen SINAD. 2) I understand Benchmark DAC3 HGC is great, but will the JL Audio CR-1 degrade the main sound? That Oppo did the crossover in the digital domain - pretty amazing for what it does.

I love the way my sub integrates, and I think if audiophiles discover what a game changer the lower bass definition and articulation is with SUB EQ properly integrated and crossed over, we'd see more high SINAD projects for SUB integration.

I really wish Benchmark would offer a crossover in a future product for proper audiophile sub integration that doesn't degrade sound, maintaining "Benchmark" SINAD, either in digital domain in a DAC3/4 or balanced analog in an HPA5 variant.
Although I don’t have it anymore , I still think that the STR preamp is a good unit with great functionality and no audible flaws. Functionality-wise it’s probably the best way to integrate a stereo with subs and a home theater system. I just found myself wishing that it has a state of the art measuring DAC. Realizing that I could use an external trigger controlled switch freed up my dac choices and a went to a three box solution consisting of a minidsp SHD Studio, an Okto Dac8 Pro, and an ARX rs-1 ( see details in my signature). For a simpler system I would recommend the STR and would not bother with any analog crossover including the CR-1.

If you are focused primarily on home theater , a Good AVR like the denon 3700h should be sufficient.
If you do not want to integrate a home theater system then is recommend just the SHD with no need for external switches

Wayne

xirtam2005

Although I don’t have it anymore , I still think that the STR preamp is a good unit with great functionality and no audible flaws. Functionality-wise it’s probably the best way to integrate a stereo with subs and a home theater system. I just found myself wishing that it has a state of the art measuring DAC. Realizing that I could use an external trigger controlled switch freed up my dac choices and a went to a three box solution consisting of a minidsp SHD Studio, an Okto Dac8 Pro, and an ARX rs-1 ( see details in my signature). For a simpler system I would recommend the STR and would not bother with any analog crossover including the CR-1.

If you are focused primarily on home theater , a Good AVR like the denon 3700h should be sufficient.
If you do not want to integrate a home theater system then is recommend just the SHD with no need for external switches

Wayne

Hi Wayne. This is a dedicated 2.1 channel system specifically for critical nuanced musical listening using Qobuz and other high quality lossless music. This is not for home theater. An AVR would absolutely degrade the sound. Your even mentioning an AVR, makes me fear that anything else I do will be a "step down" from what I have.

My specific questions, solely related to sound quality and not functionality: 1) For critical nuanced music listening, how did you like the way the Anthem STR PRE sounded compared to the Benchmark DAC / JL CR-1 combo? 2) Why do you say not to mess with analog crossover? 3) Did you try the Benchark DAC direct to amp without the JL? 4) How does the STR PRE sound compared to what you have now? 5) Have you ever heard an Oppo 105 or 205 as preamp/DAC/crossover direct to amp and compare that?

My goal is to to find a worthy replacement for my Oppo 105 as a DAC/preamp/crossover that maintains similar level of detail, transparency, and neutrality. As the Oppo 105 is 9 years old and won't live forever. I'm willing to go to more than one box if needed. Sound quality comes first.

xirtam2005

Also whatever I go with needs to be able to accept and maintain full 24/192 USB signal from computer using Qobuz "wasapi exclusive".

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Wayne. This is a dedicated 2.1 channel system specifically for critical nuanced musical listening using Qobuz and other high quality lossless music. This is not for home theater. An AVR would absolutely degrade the sound. Your even mentioning an AVR, makes me fear that anything else I do will be a "step down" from what I have.

My specific questions, solely related to sound quality and not functionality: 1) For critical nuanced music listening, how did you like the way the Anthem STR PRE sounded compared to the Benchmark DAC / JL CR-1 combo? 2) Why do you say not to mess with analog crossover? 3) Did you try the Benchark DAC direct to amp without the JL? 4) How does the STR PRE sound compared to what you have now? 5) Have you ever heard an Oppo 105 or 205 as preamp/DAC/crossover direct to amp and compare that?

My goal is to to find a worthy replacement for my Oppo 105 as a DAC/preamp/crossover that maintains similar level of detail, transparency, and neutrality. As the Oppo 105 is 9 years old and won't live forever. I'm willing to go to more than one box if needed. Sound quality comes first.
For 2 channel music with a sub and no home theater integration, a MiniDSP SHD is optimal and measurably is about as good as the benchmark DAC , if you want the best measured performance than you can still use 2 external DACs or one Okto Dac 8 pro.

Any analog crossover will degrade the noise of the system to far worse than the benchmark DACs noise.

The STR is transparent but does not measure as well as the SHD or benchmark. ARC genesis is a good and flexible room correction system with a good UI as is Dirac live.

For 2 channel would rank the systems as follows
1) SHD studio with Okto dac8 pro
2) SHD
3) STR
4) benchmark with CR-1 and MiniDSP digital room correction

Option 3 is more expensive than option 2 but has HT bypass so I think it’s optimal in a mixed stereo / home theater system.

And btw: DSP room correction will be the biggest factor in improved sound quality for any of these solutions. Higher sampling rates than 44.1/48kz have no benefit.

Wayne

Last edited:

xirtam2005

For 2 channel music with a sub and no home theater integration, a MiniDSP SHD is optimal and measurably is about as good as the benchmark DAC , if you want the best measured performance than you can still use 2 external DACs or one Okto Dac 8 pro.

Any analog crossover will degrade the noise of the system to far worse than the benchmark DACs noise.

The STR is transparent but does not measure as well as the SHD or benchmark. ARC genesis is a good and flexible room correction system with a good UI as is Dirac live.

For 2 channel would rank the systems as follows
1) SHD studio with Okto dac8 pro
2) SHD
3) STR
4) benchmark with CR-1 and MiniDSP digital room correction

Option 3 is more expensive than option 2 but has HT bypass so I think it’s optimal in a mixed stereo / home theater system.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. I understand you're ranking these in terms of SINAD measurements, but my question is how did you like the sound and actual listening experience between the different options?

Did you try Benchmark without the JL CR-1, just to experiment what the CR1 was doing to the sound?

Sorry to keep asking so many questions, but I'm very seriously considering trying that Anthem STR. Did you find it lacking in any way audibly compared to what you have now or vs. Benchmark without the JL in the signal path? If so, how? Did you like the way the STR sounded and retrieved detail?

Unfortunately I cannot find what DAC is used in the Anthem (is it AKM?), but its S/N does seem to be better than anything else that does what it does in one box.

In case it matters the rest of my system is the following:
Paradigm Persona 3F speakers powered by Parasound JC1 monoblocks in 25W class A mode.
Paradigm Signature Sub 1 (same as Persona SUB) using Paradigm PBK Sub EQ (same as Anthem ARC)
Using Oppo 105 as DAC/preamp/crossover at 50 Hz.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks Wayne. I understand you're ranking these in terms of SINAD measurements, but my question is how did you like the sound and actual listening experience between the different options?

Did you try Benchmark without the JL CR-1, just to experiment what the CR1 was doing to the sound?

Sorry to keep asking so many questions, but I'm very seriously considering trying that Anthem STR. Did you find it lacking in any way audibly compared to what you have now or vs. Benchmark without the JL in the signal path? If so, how? Did you like the way the STR sounded and retrieved detail?

Unfortunately I cannot find what DAC is used in the Anthem (is it AKM?), but its S/N does seem to be better than anything else that does what it does in one box.

Paradigm Persona 3F speakers powered by Parasound JC1 monoblocks in 25W class A mode.
Paradigm Signature Sub 1 (same as Persona SUB) using Paradigm PBK Sub EQ (same as Anthem ARC)
Not to interrupt this excellent discussion, but @waynel stated a key fact with "the STR is transparent". It does not alter or degrade the sound. BTW I've been down this very path with multiple STR preamps (my favorite component) and the DAC3B/LA4/AHB2 plus/minus CR-1 and have suffered through your dilemma of trying to parse SQ but I would say this,
what you are listening to is:

"In case it matters the rest of my system is the following:
Using Oppo 105 as DAC/preamp/crossover at 50 Hz."

So yes, along with your room these factors are of FAR greater importance than choosing between the options detailed by Wayne. And not to get into the hi res can of worms, but after years of listening to all the services and blind testing myself I am now listening to Spotify Premium because of its features. If this forum can do anything to help, it would be to move you towards transparency as the final goal for electronics, blind testing yourself on the source, and focusing your time/effort/$ on speakers and room correction methods.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You are asking me to compare sound quality subjectively across systems which I listened to one at a time over a multiyear period. Even if I were to give you a detailed subjective opinion why would you put any stock in it? I can tell that I thought that each iteration of my system sounded very good. The Cr-1 added to noise that I could hear if I placed my ear near the tweeter but I couldn't hear that noise at my listening position.

Given the makeup of your current system, you would probably like the STR's aesthetics and be happy with it and your amp would be the dominant source of noise and distortion so upstream SINAD wouldn't matter.

However , your speakers could benefit from EQ about 5Khz and this is one of the rare times when I would recommend using DIRAC full range, So if you truly want to improve sound quality and keep your current speakers I would recommend the following:

1) MiniDSP SHD using full range DIRAC
2) Get a second sub.

Wayne

xirtam2005

You are asking me to compare sound quality subjectively across systems which I listened to one at a time over a multiyear period. Even if I were to give you a detailed subjective opinion why would you put any stock in it? I can tell that I thought that each iteration of my system sounded very good. The Cr-1 added to noise that I could hear if I placed my ear near the tweeter but I couldn't hear that noise at my listening position.

Given the makeup of your current system, you would probably like the STR's aesthetics and be happy with it and your amp would be the dominant source of noise and distortion so upstream SINAD wouldn't matter.

However , your speakers could benefit from EQ about 5Khz and this is one of the rare times when I would recommend using DIRAC full range, So if you truly want to improve sound quality and keep your current speakers I would recommend the following:

1) MiniDSP SHD using full range DIRAC
2) Get a second sub.

Wayne

I have no plans on changing the speakers, sub, or amps. That would be extremely expensive and time consuming. Do you not like or are aware of any issues with my speakers or the rest of my system for some reason? Regarding sub, I don't have space for another sub and they are not cheap (~$6k each where current sub is more than enough bass). I have my sub between the front speakers in the same plane.

I'm just trying to find a worthy replacement for Oppo 105 as I know it won't last forever.
In other words, you liked the way each iteration sounded, but you heard slight audible distortion with CR1 near tweeter but not in listening position. In other words, everything sounded good enough that you could have kept the STR PRE or Benchmark/JL combo if needed?

At this point I'm actually considering either the Anthem STR or the MiniDSP SHD with the Okto DAC multichannel.

Simple question - how was the remote/volume control on the Okto and the Anthem STR?

Last edited:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no plans on changing the speakers, sub, or amps. That would be extremely expensive and time consuming. Do you not like my speakers or the rest of my system for some reason? Regarding sub, I don't have space for another sub and they are not cheap (~$6k each where current sub is more than enough bass). I have my sub between the front speakers in the same plane.

I'm just trying to find a worthy replacement for Oppo 105 as I know it won't last forever.
In other words, you liked the way everything sounded, but you heard slight audible distortion with CR1 near tweeter but not in listening position.
not distortion , noise. As far as two subs, its not about volume of bass but evenness of frequency response across listening positions.

Your speakers have a 10dB rise starting at 5Kz that could be tamed with full range dirac.
717parad.meas.jpg

xirtam2005

not distortion , noise. As far as two subs, its not about volume of bass but evenness of frequency response across listening positions.

Your speakers have a 10dB rise starting at 5Kz that could be tamed with full range dirac.
717parad.meas.jpg

Good grief. This makes me feel like garbage - I know you didn't mean to. I spent so much on those speakers and really like them, now the measurements are saying they're garbage??

I was just looking to replace the Oppo. I work 60-80 hour weeks plus have family responsibilities and truly don't have the time or money to change anything else.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good grief. This makes me feel like garbage - I know you didn't mean to. I spent so much on those speakers and really like them, now the measurements are saying they're garbage??

I was just looking to replace the Oppo. I work 60-80 hour weeks plus have family responsibilities and truly don't have the time or money to change anything else.
Just apply some EQ with DIRAC or ARC genesis (I believe DIRAC might we better for this as ARC defaults to 5Khz range), if you like the boosted highs then just limit the correction range.

You should be fine with the STR or the SHD, STR has a 12V trigger which is nice for turning on your amps. STR has a nicer fit and finish. SHD has better measurements. I do not use the SHD for streaming and dislike Volumio.

Wayne

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Simple question - how was the remote/volume control on the Okto and the Anthem STR?
The remotes for the STR and the Okto are excellent. The Okto is not a good solution for using a logitech harmony but the STR works great with harmony (but I don't use that anymore)

The remote for the SHD is not great but I don't use it as I control volume with the Okto.

Considering the rest of the system I don't think the okto dac will add any sound quality or system SINAD over the SHD analog outs. You could always get the full SHD (not studio) and add an Okto when it arrives next year.

Top Bottom