• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help with pre-amp/amp connection.

guavabi

Hello, just recently started getting more into audio with speakers/amplifiers, please bear with me as all of my equipment is currently from my dads basement...
So what Ive started off with is a speakercraft big bang 12 channel amp, (images will be linked below.) Now, this does work in power the speakers, but i have pretty much no control over the volume, besides fine tuning the input which gets a little tedious. So I asked my dad about this and he told me to look for a pre-amp, which I did eventually find. The pre-amp in question is an audio access PX-600. Now Ive been playing around with the two for some time, and I just cant get the pre-amp to work with the amp. I can get sound when using the loop back feature on the amp, but that didn't grant me any volume control using the volume knob on the pre-amp. I don't know if maybe something with the pre-amp is wrong or if I just did the wrong research and set it up wrong, any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_7553.jpg
    IMG_7553.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7552.jpg
    IMG_7552.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 61

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @guavabi! Welcome to ASR.

Have you read the User Manual already? You can find both manuals online.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hello, just recently started getting more into audio with speakers/amplifiers, please bear with me as all of my equipment is currently from my dads basement...
So what Ive started off with is a speakercraft big bang 12 channel amp, (images will be linked below.) Now, this does work in power the speakers, but i have pretty much no control over the volume, besides fine tuning the input which gets a little tedious. So I asked my dad about this and he told me to look for a pre-amp, which I did eventually find. The pre-amp in question is an audio access PX-600. Now Ive been playing around with the two for some time, and I just cant get the pre-amp to work with the amp. I can get sound when using the loop back feature on the amp, but that didn't grant me any volume control using the volume knob on the pre-amp. I don't know if maybe something with the pre-amp is wrong or if I just did the wrong research and set it up wrong, any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Welcome!

Can you show how you are trying to connect?

It looks like that preamp is to setup a bunch of remote two channel zones, so if you are trying to use it for multichannel, you may not be able to do that.

You want to connect your analog source (maybe a CD player or DAC) to where it shows that connects, then pick a pair of the stereo outputs (preamp outputs) and connect that to two channels of your amp, then amp out to speakers.

You should be able to select that source from the front panel, and your volume control should work.

Pictures of how are you setting it up could be helpful. Good luck!

Edit: if you want multichannel, maybe a used A/V Receiver with preamp outs would work well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom