• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Analog Pass-Through DAC to Pre

bigfanres

I’m running a R26 DAC (happily) into a Madrigal Proceed AVP2 Pre/Pro (baby Levinson). I only listen to Stereo Sound (no effects, no HT). I have run dual subs historically, however, I just learned I’ve been listening to the Proceed’s internal DAC! It sounds and has sounded “good” to me.

Unless I set up the Preamp to run wo the subs, and speakers at full range wo low end cutoff, it will automatically engage its digital conversion from my DAC. Any thoughts on how I can integrate powered subs (wo DSP per se as they have manual control of gain and cutoff hz) into a 2.1/2 configuration and retain the use of a quality DAC (other then eliminating the Preamp which can provide input control levels, sub levels, and a true analog pass through volume control, etc.)? Is there a solid-state preamp that would allow me to integrate subs wo a DAC in it?

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there a solid-state preamp that would allow me to integrate subs wo a DAC in it?
No, because good sub integration relies on DSP.

If you want to use your R26 as the final D->A converter, then you could use a miniDSP Flex Digital, do the sub integration on it, then output the processed signal to the R26 via Coax or Toslink.

Though for 2.2, your would need to add a second stereo DAC.

OP
B

bigfanres

If you want to use your R26 as the final D->A converter, then you could use a miniDSP Flex Digital, do the sub integration on it, then output the processed signal to the R26 via Coax or Toslink.

I had thought the Schiit Freya might do the trick with sub out, a second set of amp out pairs, balanced in, and no phono stage all with pure analog volume control.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I had thought the Schiit Freya might do the trick with sub out, a second set of amp out pairs, balanced in, and no phono stage all with pure analog volume control.
The Freya doesn't do bass management. It's just a simple preamp.

Calypso1

I have the MiniDSP FLEX and I map the left/right inputs to output 3/4 in the matrix. Output 3/4 are each directed to a subwoofer and of course, PEQS, Gains, Crossoverr filters, IIR, FIRs, are available per output.

OP
B

bigfanres

My subs have built in DSP and app-based Room correction. I just need the pre to provide the external DAC pass through to mains, subs as a signal, and ideally a second / remote output signal for B speakers.

Calypso1

I think that the miniDSP Flex Eight would meet your requirements, check it out. You would get additional value on your investment if the DSP was used for your mains since your subs as just a pass through.

OP
B

bigfanres

My preamp won’t let me activate any sub out (for DSP) without triggering its own DAC on mains. This is my issue. Even if I run mains at Full Range, once subs are engaged (even without a crossover or LFE), it will then bypass my external DAC. TY.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just sense checking your question. Your title is "analogue" pass-through but the conversation seems to be about digital pass-through. You've also said that you want an untreated signal to go to your Subs as they can handle DSP and processing i.e. you want a digital signal to the Subs.

If you really just need analogue pass-through between your DAC and preamp then won't something like the Topping Pre90 do?

For digital, can you simply split the digital signal with a switch upstream of the DAC: three-way to DAC and to the 2x Subs. I don't have details to hand, but there are options and plenty of digital people here to advise.

Otherwise, the miniDSP options sound good - or a complete review and a new DAC/Preamp setup :)

OP
B

bigfanres

Just sense checking your question. Your title is "analogue" pass-through but the conversation seems to be about digital pass-through. You've also said that you want an untreated signal to go to your Subs as they can handle DSP and processing i.e. you want a digital signal to the Subs.

If you really just need analogue pass-through between your DAC and preamp then won't something like the Topping Pre90 do?

For digital, can you simply split the digital signal with a switch upstream of the DAC: three-way to DAC and to the 2x Subs. I don't have details to hand, but there are options and plenty of digital people here to advise.

Otherwise, the miniDSP options sound good - or a complete review and a new DAC/Preamp setup :)
If the Topping allowed for gain adjustment for the 2 pairs of XLR+RCA output (aside from XLR +6db), AND the addition of a mini-DSP product would allow incorporation of dual subs AND a crossover set point for Mains, then it could potentially work. I cannot determine from its thin manual or online reviews and commentary that it would accomplish my task. And yes, I want analog pass through from my R26 into a pre (which will afford the outputs, gain control, and minor processing) without any digitization of said analog signal. I’m not passing any digital through into pre for conversion.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Checking my understanding;
Analogue pass-though to your pre-amp, high passed at the crossover point.
Digital signal to your two Subs, low-passed at the crossover point

Does this work? - using the miniDSP Flex Digital;
1. Digital Source => miniDSP Flex Digital (digital in)
2. Flex applies the crossover frequency, allows gain adjustment.
3. Flex Digital out 1&2 => DAC => Analogue out => preamp Analogue in
4. Flex Digital out 3&4 => Subwoofer digital in

If your Subs have both optical and coaxial inputs then it's simple;
4.1 Flex Digital out 3 => optical out => Subwoofer 1
4.2 Flex Digital out 4 => coaxial out =>Subwoofer 2
If you can't do that then you can output the low-passed bass, summed to mono, to the Flex Digital out 3 and use a simple digital 1-in-2-out converter to feed your Subs.

The Flex can manage volume for all outputs.

You don't need the Topping pre90 in the analogue realm at all.

levimax

Major Contributor
My subs have built in DSP and app-based Room correction. I just need the pre to provide the external DAC pass through to mains, subs as a signal, and ideally a second / remote output signal for B speakers.
Be aware that subs with built in DSP add considerable delay. I have some SVS subs that add over 6 ms of delay even if not using DSP. In order to properly integrate subs you will need a way to delay your mains relative to your subs. Make sure to keep this in mind when deciding on your upstream components. I believe the miniDSP flex will allow for this but am not sure as I have never used one.

OP
B

bigfanres

Checking my understanding;
Analogue pass-though to your pre-amp, high passed at the crossover point.
Digital signal to your two Subs, low-passed at the crossover point

Does this work? - using the miniDSP Flex Digital;
1. Digital Source => miniDSP Flex Digital (digital in)
2. Flex applies the crossover frequency, allows gain adjustment.
3. Flex Digital out 1&2 => DAC => Analogue out => preamp Analogue in
4. Flex Digital out 3&4 => Subwoofer digital in

If your Subs have both optical and coaxial inputs then it's simple;
4.1 Flex Digital out 3 => optical out => Subwoofer 1
4.2 Flex Digital out 4 => coaxial out =>Subwoofer 2
If you can't do that then you can output the low-passed bass, summed to mono, to the Flex Digital out 3 and use a simple digital 1-in-2-out converter to feed your Subs.

The Flex can manage volume for all outputs.

You don't need the Topping pre90 in the analogue realm at all.
You’ve given me something to investigate-in keeping my pre; I don’t want any further signal degradation if I can help it.

Attachments

• IMG_3836.png
    IMG_3836.png
    712.3 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom